Forums > Help! > Calling all doctors calling all doctors

Login/Join to Participate

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
My dad thinks he might have irritable bowl syndrome (lol hope none of you are tucking into your lunches right now) and he was wondering if that means he has to (or would benefit from) cutting things out or changing his diet?

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Surely that's an easy question to ask his doctor?
He'll probably get a much more reliable answer than he would from a bunch of spinners? shrug

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Tell him to see a Doc for real, failing that, google:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irritable_bowel_syndrome
https://www.ibsgroup.org/
https://www.aboutibs.org/

hug

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

pablitomember
6 posts

Posted:
try this site.
https://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/ibs/

'trust me i'm a nurse'
boy has that saying got me into lots of fun

pablito_tours can not be held responsible for any loss or damage to neurons.

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
I'm a doctor and I say cut it all off

wink

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Try both a doctor and a dietician.

There's been a lot of new knowledge surrounding bowel problems and food, particuarly high fibre foods that don't fully digest (i.e. they hurt a lot).

Many doctors are not aware of this knowledge, but most clinical dieticians are.

But please, don't favour either of them, take as much advice and knowledge from both professionals as you can...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Being a sufferer myself (although I'm very lucky, and only get like 2 symptoms-1 being agonising tummy pain, 2 being that eating certain things swell my belly right out to the size I was wen I was 4 months pregnant.) all I can say is that it appears to affect different people in different ways, and happens for different reasons.

A friend of mine had it flare up due to stress when her marriage broke up- she had the squits so bad and for so long she lost 2 stone.

I should probably cut some foods out, but I just live with it instead.

I haven't found doctors to be that helpful- I gather the IBS label is put on any unexplaineble digestive problems. After 4 years and seeing many doctors, I finally had one actually give me some pills for the gut cramps- but I had to practically cry to get them.

I'd say the clinical dietician sounds a good way to go shrug

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Rule #1:

DO NOT TAKE MEDICAL ADVICE FROM THE INTERNET.

smile

But if you're looking for suggestions on diet and such then I guess that the above info is good.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Rule #2:

CUT IT ALL OFF

smile

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Yeah, IBS is a tough one to treat. It's sort of like migraines or any other functional pain syndrome. After all, it is a functional pain syndrome.

Functional pain syndromes are syndromes that cause pain but no identifiable organic cause can be found. Examples include migraines, fibromyalgia, irritable bowel, trigeminal neuralgia, and temporomandibular joint syndrome.

IBS is characterized by painful cramping, diarrhea, and pain that is relieved by stooling. There appear to be more serotonergic neurons in the bowel of IBS sufferers than in normal controls. And, for whatever reason, it often responds well to antidepressants.

With IBS, dietary changes may provide temporary relief, but usually don't provide permanent relief and sufferers may get into more and more restrictive diets as they temporally associate more and more foods with symptoms.

My advice is the same as the advice everyone has given. See a doctor, see a dietician, and don't treat this by reading websites.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

princess~teijaBRONZE Member
39 posts

Posted:
lol - i agree with all of the above.....tell your dad to go see his GP, there are some things the internet just isnt for...

.lol....im a nurse and i work in emergency and had a patient come in after burning himself fire-twirling...i just laughed, no really, i am kind and caring and nuturing - or watever it is that nurses are.....

~ We are nice to skiers - we have to be, they're the only ones with cars!

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
We have an article on IBS in our most recent newsletter, may be of some use:

https://www.livingearthherbs.com/resources/?page=herbalism-articles&article-id=3

article: Living Earth Herbs newsletter Vol. 3 Issue 2 - 08/2005

edit: And yes, don't take any one source of advice as definitive. Research, question, and apply the knowledge moderately over time.
EDITED_BY: Suibom (1135008361)

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I have personally had extremely unsatifactory results with a GP treating IBS. I was simply given advise brochures (read adverts) from Metmucil and Normacol (sales reps no doubt).

There are many books on the subject and defo advise reading some... Chinese medicine can be particularly good at treating this problem...

It tends to be something that you have to learn to manage though...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Written by: Doc Lightning

IBS is characterized by painful cramping, diarrhea, and pain that is relieved by stooling. There appear to be more serotonergic neurons in the bowel of IBS sufferers than in normal controls. And, for whatever reason, it often responds well to antidepressants.

It also responds well to a drug called mebeverine, as that is found in colofac IBS and boots own IBS treatment. Plus, go see a pharmacist, they MUCH better than doctors...

also! CUT IT ALL OFF