Page:
SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Search = Nothing.

Right. Why do people start threads? Is it because you think people on HoP should know about something important? Because you want to entertain? Because you're bored?

Ultimately, what difference does it make? People are either going to agree or disagree. Very few people will start on the fence and then be swayed one way or another by the arguments made in the thread. All it does is open you up to people saying "You're right" and "You're wrong". And then the threads you start impact on how people percieve you.

Say you feel passionate about something. For the sake of argument, let's say it's the war in Iraq. People either:

1. Think it was a good idea.
2. Think it was a bad idea.
3. Don't really care.

Why start a thread on it? I doubt anyone is going to read your post and think "Wow... that's changed my viewpoint so now I agree with this guy".

So if you're not affecting people's opinions on the subject but you are affecting their opinions of YOU then why bother?

Posting information is good, I guess. Learning new stuff only happens if you see things that other people have written/filmed. But then some people will inevitably disagree with the "Fact" or what they percieve you were trying to say with your "Facts". Look at [Old link] if you doubt me. Only the first page, and people are close to insulting each other. It's a straightforward topic: "Is this move possible?" but one person says "Yes" another says "No" and then you have an argument. Why should I post when all it'll do is highlight me rather than the issue?

"I'm bored" threads are silly, let's not have any more, huh? smile Go for a run around the block or something if you're that bored, at the least it'll be good exercise.

I was going to post something I read in the newspaper today, and then decided against it because I can't be bothered with people shouting "Anti American!!!" at me. It's not my words, it's the newspaper. Blame them for their political stance. I personally think that the information is interesting, but too many people's opinions of me would be changed by the post. Therefore I decided not to post it, and wrote this instead.

Anyone agree? Anyone disagree? Anyone care?

Thought so. wink

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I have questions.

Given what you have said above why did you start this thread?

Were you hoping for a balanced debate?

Were you hoping our perception of you would change?

Did you start it because you were bored?

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
I generally dont start or even participate in social threads much for the reasons you outlined. Very few threads are a discussion - most are more like a bunch of people in a room yelling their opinion over and over with their fingers stuck solidly in their ears.

There are a few board members tho who do try to figure through things and even if I havent always agreed with them they certainly have my respect. OWD and Coleman spring to mind but there are also others.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
well if you're going to ask that question... why have the forum in the first place? it wouldn't be forum if people didn't post threads.... and people wouldn't post threads if it wasn't a forum....

i have no idea why i post things... other than it's nice to be interactive in some way, if you watch something on the telly it's hard to interact with it in a way that you'd actually get a response, unless you write to points of view or something, shouting at the tv doesn't get very far, and i suppose if you read something on a forum the obvious way to respond is through the forum....................... but that doesn't answer question why someone starts the thread in the first place, but as skully implied... you would make the perfect first guinea pig in your own questioning! biggrin

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
:looks at own last post:

see there you go -> Im a prime example. post my tangental opinion without much reference to the first post and leave.

I am my own worst nightmare! smile

--

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
And you've obviously never met Meg wink If people are afraid of a little sarcasm then they've chosen the wrong planet to be born on.

Written by: Sethis

I doubt anyone is going to read your post and think "Wow... that's changed my viewpoint so now I agree with this guy".

I disagree, I think people are always open to being corrected or challenged except for those with some form of personality disorder. Trouble is some people have trouble acepting of admitting when they were incorrect.

I personally think that the information is interesting, but too many people's opinions of me would be changed by the post. Therefore I decided not to post it, and wrote this instead.

Don't be a wuss. If people are going to disagree then so be it, but censoring yourself just because you think people will dislike you for them is cowardly. Just a stab in the dark, but was it the execution of the crips co-founder?

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Written by: Skulduggery

I have questions.

Yay! ubbrollsmile

Given what you have said above why did you start this thread?

I wanted to see if anyone agreed with me, and if anyone didn't. Also whether anyone cared.

Were you hoping for a balanced debate?

Not really. I don't mind if one starts though...

Were you hoping our perception of you would change?

Nope, because I have no idea what your (specifically) perception of me is. Therefore I have no idea how to change it. Maybe I didn't differentiate properly:

When you post, people's opinions of you change.

This may or may not be the reason for the post, but it is an effect.

Did you start it because you were bored?

No. Like I said, I was going to post something else then thought this would result in less shouting/bias.

Jeff: For the record, I think you were probably more right than me on the "Terminator etc" thread. I was actually gonna post that, but was distracted by spandex... rolleyes

But then, who wouldn't? ubblol

No, it wasn't that article. It was a series of numbers in The Independant, along the lines of:

$3,500: Reward a group of Vets offered for anyone who could confirm Bush's Alabama Guard service.

600-700: Number of people in Bush's Unit at that time.

0: Number of people who came forward with information.

etc etc etc.

And I generally don't have a problem with sarcasm if it's friendly. I've read enough of Meg to know that she's fairly easy going. I don't have the same view of some other people. I used to think you were a vicious git for starters! But now I don't... re your post in the "Reputation" thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Pyrolific

There are a few board members tho who do try to figure through things and even if I havent always agreed with them they certainly have my respect. OWD and Coleman spring to mind but there are also others.

Josh

Very nice of you to say so smile

Why do people start threads?

Several reasons:

1. Particularly with complex/controversial issues, online discussion can lead to clarification, simplification etc.

A primary beneficiary being me- in trying to communicate my opinion efficiently and consisely, inevitably my explanation will tend to be misunderstood by some- this is a learning experience, and, as time goes by it becomes easier to anticipant how misunderstandings will arise, and learn ways to prevent it.

This basically improves the ability to communicate ideas effectively, and, being online text-based communication, which is notoriously prone to misunderstanding/flaming etc; it translates well into real-life communication: if you can communicate an opinion on a controversial issue online effectively, that makes good practice for doing the same face-to-face in the real world.

2. Flaws in my reasoning which I don't pick up on, could well be spotted and pointed out by others.

3. Occasionally, others may benefit from something I've posted, or see something from a different perspective.

I've certainly benefitted from reading the words of others; sometimes, profoundly so.

Two examples that spring to mind are certain texts of Buddhist philosophy, and Allen Carrs book on quitting smoking.

The latter, in one small and consise book, enabled me to see through a mass of delusion, and finally escape nicotine addiction for good; the former enabled me to live life in a far better way than I otherwise would have.

Neither were on online discussion boards of course; but my point is that they could have been- they're both basically short texts that communicate profound ideas consisely.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
::edit:: Looks like onewheeldave was writing a post similar to mine at the same time. Too bad he beat me to it, now mine looks derivative. redface

The fact that I can go on the internet, write something, and have plenty of people willing to respond with the goal of picking my words apart and arguing with me makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

At Law School, I have to pay a teacher to look at what I write and critique it. In my writing class, this means a few vague comments like "great" written in the margins and a few generic comments at the end that he puts at the end of everyone's paper (like "in general, greater precision and clarity are needed). In other classes, all I get is a letter grade.

This cannot compare to the wealth of feedback I get on a forum. Instead of getting graded by one person who claims to be an expert, I get evaluated by a whole team! These people come with a variety of perspectives and styles. There is usually someone who will hop on any spelling or grammatical errors, and others will attack the substance. Some people (jeff(fake) comes to mind) are good at breaking down a post into it's parts and evaluating each section. Others (perhaps doc lightning) will often evaluate a post more "holistically," weighing the general theme against a set of values.

Even if my mind is not changed by posts made by others, I consider the experience well worth it. A perspective that challenges a view I hold may point out a weakness. Even if that weakness is not enough in my judgment to make me change my view, it may show me a point that I had not fully fleshed out. This is great practice for being able to write, speak, and think well, which my career will depend on.

There are people out there that are smarter than me, have different opinions, and have no problem telling me how stupid they think I am. This is awesome. If I decide they are correct, I can look at their reasoning, try to pick apart their opinion, and eventually complete a well reasoned change to their side. If I think they are wrong, I must try to resist their pressure in order to continue to hold up my views. It's kind of like going to the gym and lifting weights.

There are also people who have poorly reasoned opinions, poor writing skills, and a great desire to share both with the world. This is entertaining. I wouldn't want to name names, but there was a topic started recently with an initial post that I felt was worth pointing out to my wife, just to brighten her day. smile

If you have something that you think is worth posting, don't hold back on my account. I value every one.
EDITED_BY: Patriarch917 (1134524194)

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Actually I have read somethings every once and awhile and stopped like "wow, that's really something I never thought of before. I'll consider it next time." Or i consider it for that brief moment and then tell the other guy to shove it. ubbloco

And like Josh said, there's plenty of times I don't agree with what's being said, but I still respect many posters I don't agree with. Nor do I agree with everyone about everything all the time.

And if everyone thought the same, that'd be pretty boring. wink

I post threads and post in threads because for me, that's what draws us together as a community inbetween meeting people. hug

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
fair points all well made.

Don't worry, this post will degenerate into nonsense at some point, but you'll have to wait to the end.

I personally thought this way for the first couple of years I was on hop. I mean religion versus sceince? I've got a brick wall outside that my head has had more interesting conversations with.

After this I thought, well I'll read the ones that interest me and if I don't have a set opinion on the matter (and believe it or not, I really don't have many strong opinions, they're hard to nurture so I can only feed so many. Like baby squirrels really.) I would read the thread and 'borrow' someones opinion who I respected and or agreed with. But now I read and post, thou I only post my opinion for my own amusement (and sometimes others) and out of a sense of malicious boredom. (see link in first thread. My crap attempt at the socratic method, I should have been nicer initially, and not bluecat.)

and sometimes, saying (typing) something really clarifies your opinion / the facts in your head. Hmmmm clarity....

Written by: sethis

And I generally don't have a problem with sarcasm if it's friendly. I've read enough of Meg to know that she's fairly easy going. I don't have the same view of some other people. I used to think you were a vicious git for starters! But now I don't... re your post in the "Reputation" thread.

from the first post:

I doubt anyone is going to read your post and think "Wow... that's changed my viewpoint so now I agree with this guy".

haha! OWNED! wink biggrin ubbrollsmile

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I like to hear other people's opinions on matters.

And I have been swayed in discussions here. People have informed me of things I wasnt aware of and then taken the new information into account.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
ditto

There's been many a thing i've learnt about/heard about/had thoughts about on this forum that i hadn't before, all because someone wanted to tell the world. I (think) I've become a little bit better at defending the side of an argument i don't agree with, for example that one about the neo-nazi schoolkid teenybopper peoples. Hence the first line in my sig tongue

Also, i reckon having people pick your argument apart helps you think about it from another's perspective, and either adapt the argument, or think of some other defence against that hole.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I post because I like conversation. I'm never really concerned whether people share my views. I just like to take in all the available viewpoints. (maybe all those talks with my philosphy lecturers at uni did sink in after all ; ) ) I think OWD already made the most important points but the one I'd like to point out is -"Flaws in my reasoning which I don't pick up on, could well be spotted and pointed out by others". This is something that a lot of people (in the UK) cannot cope with. Once they have an oppinion they stick by it no matter how absurd it apparently becomes later.

I have to say that of all the boards I've ever been on this one seems to have the highest number of well informed, open minded and genuinely funny people I've come across. Its also great that the boards generally police themselves. The mods only really have to comment every now and then. That, to me, says that the users want to look after the community as much as the 'message board'. People dont abuse each other (seriously) and if any real arguments start then someone usually steps in and reminds everyone how pointless arguing about 'whatever' isnt going to solve anything.

I also think that even though I have hardly met anyone on here in person (I can count the number that I have met on one hand) I like chatting to you guys.

I generally start new threads because I want to hear people's oppinions on something (mainly out of curiosity but also because they may have info that I didnt know) or because I am just curious about the group as a whole. This is a brilliant community for helping you to understand cultural differences across the globe as there are so many countries (and area's within those countries) represented. This community also spans a much larger age range than any I've come across before (not that you'd realise - I find it almost impossible to guess someones age on here most of the time). I'm pretty sure that people of most backgrounds are represented too.

Anyway, I'm going to stop writing a rambling advert for Malcolm now and go do something useful...

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Ok, i so nearly didn't post here because I couldn't be bothered giving my opinion.

Maybe because I can sympathise with how your feel.

I am more affected by other people posting that post for the wrong reasons though....such as trying to say certain things, not necessarily even keeping it relevent to the point of the thread....

Your reasoning is wrong though....I to have been smacked off the fence into an opinion based of facts that I were brought to my attention here.... smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

1,189 posts

Posted:

No, it wasn't that article. It was a series of numbers in The Independant, along the lines of:

$3,500: Reward a group of Vets offered for anyone who could confirm Bush's Alabama Guard service.

600-700: Number of people in Bush's Unit at that time.

0: Number of people who came forward with information.

etc etc etc.

Ah, about the AWOL stuff. With the Wars, the hurricane, climate change and the economy, it's small potatoes. If anything did get pinned on him he'll bring up that he's a born-again Christian and sail through on that.

Written by: Seye

Once they have an oppinion they stick by it no matter how absurd it apparently becomes later.

You've hit the nail on the head. I think the problem is universal rather than in Britian. Subconsiously, admitting that your incorrect is viewed by many as an admition of failure or weakness so people will often go to great lengths to continue. Just think of any major conspiracy theory or the Intelligent Design movement.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

I used to think you were a vicious git for starters! But now I don't... re your post in the "Reputation" thread.

from the first post:

haha! OWNED! wink biggrin ubbrollsmile

DENIED! tongue

I didn't say "Wow" so my point still stands... and even if I did, someone admitting that they were being a eek probably deserves a special dispensation. ubbrollsmile

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I have absolutely read things that other people have said that change my mind.

I also find it extremely useful to both state my opinion and have it critiqued. It's rare that I'd ever really sit down and organize my thoughts on a specific subject. Even just self editing a post in your mind as you're writing it helps solidify a thought. For example, if I'm weighing in on Iraq, I might have 10 rational points and 2 or 3 totally irrational points (like: I think the tanks look cool.) It's nice to be able to self edit away those irrational points as they'd quickly be addressed by others. Having to defend your opinion really mandates that you understand and can substantiate your opinion.

Putting thoughts into writing allows one to make ideas more tangable and specific. And getting the thoughs to a point where others will read them is almost like "performing" your idea. You need to make sure it makes sense, you need to make sure it looks good, otherwise you'll look foolish.

On the other hand, it's almost scary how many people HAVEN'T thought about really important topics and HAVEN'T made their own ideas concrete. Kind of reminds me of that Britney Spears quote in Farenheit 9/11 where she says something like "I think we should support our president because he's our president."... that's clearly someone that HASN'T been challenged to substantiate their thoughts.

But mostly if I start a thread it's to get input from a few people that I truely respect. Actually, also to find out who I should respect. Many of the HoPers that I really respect I've only come to respect by the words in their threads. Not because they agree with me, but because they respond in an appropriate, intelligent, and respectful manner.

See... I learned something about myself. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
thoughts and britney spears? In the same sentence?

But tanks do look cool! That's not irrational!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Yanno, I've had long-held viewpoints challenged on this board.

And (on admittedly very rare occasion) I've...

...learned a thing or two.

And even...changed my mind about a thing or two!

I know. Amazing.

But true!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Changing your mind is a sign of weakness... ask any political leader. rolleyes

Thank you for the comments all. Keep coming!

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I start threads mostly because I've encountered something in my life that I don't know the best way of dealing with. I'm looking for the opinions/actions of others. I know that my way of thinking may be flawed/biased, so I am looking to others for how they would handle the situation. This often allows me to see how other people act in an attempt to better understand all sides of the situation.

So, I post to learn things and to grow as a person.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Well, patriarch, even more so than OWD, absolutly explained why i'd start a thread on any philisophical or controversial or new related topic. I like that people post such things- sometimes i hear about things here first, like the explosion. Sometimes I only here about things here, like Kate Moss's cocaine addiction, which was interesting for people's opinions...

I also start threads (in social chat) for advice and such. I can reach a wider range of people faster here than I can on my instant messenger budy list let alone my telephone. Useful when doing things like, say, applying for university in a foreign country! And if I post random ideas here people critique them... much better and faster than any random subset of friends I could email, altho I admit I have a few who are generally a bit more scathing as a result of knowing me better. But range of opinion is always good. And I admit I've enjoyed some of the stranger arguments. I actually took a position once to be a devils' advocate and wound up beliving it... so clearly the forum is useful for something smile

But again, on any truly tough topic, what patriarch said stands brilliantly. I may compose a post soon on some human behaviour stuff I've been thinking about. Hopefully no one will dissapoint me tongue

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by Richee

POI THEO(R)IST

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Hmmm I sense this may be a controversial post....

Ok I hear what you are saying Sethis, I think about this sort of thing all the time when posting....

But...

Please can we all just chill out and remember why we are (sorry at least I am) on this site: to share our love of spinning, playing with things and enjoying each other's company. All this psychoanalysis of threads is only going to lead to trouble and increased paranoia about posting (and I have that bad enough, believe me). Soooo... instead of analysing what we post can we all just be ourselves and forget about it?

Sorry to anyone who disagrees or thinks I'm posting for an image, but that's simply how I feel.
grouphug

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
I'd like to point out that the list of contributors on this thread reads almost like an honour roll of the free thinkers on this board! smile

grouphug
EDITED_BY: Pyrolific (1134600850)

--

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Why does it matter why people start threads?

Why does it matter what is in the thread?

No-one is being forced to read anything.

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

1,189 posts

Posted:
Written by: misscorinthian

Why does it matter why people start threads?

Why does it matter what is in the thread?

Everything matters. All information is useful. All motivations are fascinating. Or at least to me...

crowley2BRONZE Member
official hop cutie
272 posts

Posted:
i think the whole point of a forum is to give people a place where they can meet and chat with people who have something in common with them every1 here must be doing poi,staff,juggling, etc
id say we are a fairly wide spread community reaching out for those similear to us

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry pratchett

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Written by: LazyAngel

Please can we all just chill out and remember why we are (sorry at least I am) on this site: to share our love of spinning, playing with things and enjoying each other's company.

I'm here for more or less the same reasons, and also the intellectual discussions. But I *am* chilled out. I'm not angry, or crying my eyes out here. I was just struck by a sudden feeling that maybe posts don't really accomplish very much when all they're about is people's opinions.

Written by: LazyAngel

All this psychoanalysis of threads is only going to lead to trouble and increased paranoia about posting (and I have that bad enough, believe me). Soooo... instead of analysing what we post can we all just be ourselves and forget about it?

How can we be ourselves when we have no idea who we're talking to? I might say something along the lines of "I can't believe how much pollution America pours out, and how little most people care about it". This would be me "being myself" but the problem is that people will then rip me up for posting my opinion, and friends of the people who rip me up will have a lower opinion of me. Why then should I bother? I know what my opinion is, I believe it is valid, and I can't be bothered to take the flak for it when there isn't really any right answer.

I'm not trying to increase paranoia, and if I'm having that effect then I'm sorry.

Nice to hear people's opinions. Any thread where people are still calm at this stage must be a good one! wink biggrin

Written by: misscorinthian

Then why is the board PG rated? Why do people care about offensive content? No-one is forcing them to read it...

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
mmm I see it as a problem with the education system or even our society that many people think that their opinion is worth the same as everyone elses, even if its not even logical or based on experiences or evidence of any kind.

From a very young age students in the Australian school system are constantly asked what they think about things and how they feel about things, but their reasoning and / or support for their opinion is rarely analysed. I reckon this leads to a populace that tends to think that all opinion is equivalent - or relative.
EDITED_BY: Pyrolific (1134602227)

--

Page: