Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Anyone else here interested in using staff's in combat?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ThumperabbitBRONZE Member
Zebberdy and Jack Daniels
278 posts

Posted:
Recently i've gotten into Jo staffs. as currect I own a 4ft red oak Jo staff, anyone else interested in combat with staff's here?

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I know a few HoPpers that use Bo Staff.

I've never heard of Jo staff though...

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
only if the staff is in all its flaming glory

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
played with Jo and Bo staffs - Jo staffs are small er FRD thats all dude smile

Combat - great fun as long as you have a willing partner - to get routines tight though so you can actually do the sequence of moves without thinking (only way to make it look like a real fight) takes hours and hours of repetative practice.

Well worth it though - if you got the time, which is something im sadley lacking these days rolleyes

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I have some Taiwanese Killing sticks that I practice staff moves with. Well thats my name for them....

Don't know much about them except I bought them in a martial arts store sale, and dropped one on concrete once, to find that the concrete was broken and not the staff.

Shortly after that, and hitting myself in the shin twice, I prompt wrapped some padding aorund each end.

I say, learn the moves, but use the padding! ubblol

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

MokaGOLD Member
is a medium/large scary man
420 posts

Posted:
More like wear gloves... I love fooling around with all kinds of stick fighting in my martial arts but I find the worst thing is getting hit in the hands and fingers by wayward strikes... :P
Cheers, Moka

Contact juggling was invented by dung beetles.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
[Old link] might help. smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
Hmmmn, Taiwanese killing staffs you say? What kindave wood is that and where do you get them?

My performing partner is notorious at bending his contact staff faster than you can say 'Its a bird, no its a plane!', which becomes my problem since he then grabs my sticks as soon as my back is turned.

He bought a Red Oak staff at the local martial arts store... it lasted ten minutes.

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

Amaranthinenewbie
2 posts

Posted:
My partner and I use staffs and swords in lit combat.

We have leather gloves that were made for us, as were the leather doublets we wear for combat. Our pants are also leather and were purchased at a local biker store.

It's a LOT of fun, hell on your safeties, and requires hours and hours of choreography.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Try a search on stick fighting.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Ninja_Davemember
58 posts

Posted:
i bought a three section staff online a while bk and converted it to fire, by adding redbull cans and kevlar, works really well (falmouth) but i also have a tapered bo white oak bo staff which is ace! use to have a graphite but it got stolen, STAFF'S KICK ASS!

gwydion71GOLD Member
2 posts

Posted:
i started with the bo staff now thay are flaming

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
used to do reenactment with a 7' staff with a hook on, they're pretty good weapons but there're a lot of ways to get caught out against swords/axes

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
oxford is farrrrrrr away, and I want to learn quarterstaff. frown

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
hold it diagonally, hands opposed, and block with the nearest part with as little movement as possible. When you blocked hit back with the opposite end in an undefended area, or if no such opportunity presents itself, set yourself up a feint or something tricky. That's the basics, there should be loads on the web.

DevilsarmyBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,984 posts

Posted:
OH OH OH I DO I DO PICK ME OH PLEASE

Actually back on HoP guys ...

Owned By MiG
Owns Fyre and Mods_Stole_My_Name

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i choose devilsarmy!...........wait, why was i choosing people???

how about just fighting with a sword in its sheath? i've heard of some pretty cool techniques using that

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

effexmember
32 posts

Posted:
BEWARE THE MIGHTY WOODEN SPOON!!!
EDITED_BY: effex (1139831788)

smile and people will wonder what yr up to.

stiched_upGOLD Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
hey thumperrabit i train with the philipino martial atrs called kali whitch is stick fighting. very co-ordination based!! what do you think??

mmmmmmm fire.... he he he!!!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i magine that staff combat choreo would look somewhat like this...

Non-Https Image Link

(Fire Fantasy, performing at Rainbow Serpent Festival 06)

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I think this should have a caption competition...

"Ha evil ninja using the fire element style! I will steal it from you and fight you on your own terms!"

"You can try, but I have combined the fire element style with the hipthrust! You never defeat me! Muahahahahahahahhaha"

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Written by: lukestone

hey thumperrabit i train with the philipino martial atrs called kali whitch is stick fighting. very co-ordination based!! what do you think??

Is Kali the same as Escrima?

If so I have considered trying to learn the basics for fire performing but I imagine it would be too dangerous to hit someone that many times with a burning stick. wink

Its incredibly impressive to watch anyway though. The knife fighting looks amazing too!

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I thought they used Kali Sticks in Escrima?

Im not sure about that though and have no evidence to back it up. Its merley a distant memory of heresay that i chose not to investigate any further smile

Hope that helps

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I thought they used escrima sticks in escrima? Obviously to mimic the form of a machete without cutting other peoples limbs off.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I think (if I remember correctly) that escrima / kali are the same thing. They are just names from different reigions. I think there is one more name too but i cant remember it at the moment.

Meg - they do sticks and knives the techniques are slightly different.

6,978 posts

Posted:
Kali (Silat) is a malay/indo martial arts, and the name of the hindu goddess of destruction, and a pretty decent psytrance DJ.

Escrima is a Phillipino stick fighting martial art. i don't know more than this re: escrima that doesn't go into bruce lee flicks.

Vegemite is an incredibly nutritious yeast-based spread that fortifies the mind and sharpens the senses, whose benefit is doubled when you eat it on wholemeal, gluten-free bread.

combining at least two of the three would be quite a beautiful thing.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Kali is filipino. Silat is malay/indonesian. Due to the influence of Guro Dan Inosanto, many people teach a blend. Therefore, Kali-Silat.

Escrima, Arnis, and Kali are used interchangeably in the west to describe filipino stick/knife arts.

Some of those stick arts use the baston just as a stick. Others are using it in place of a sword.

Cheers!
Patrick

p.s. Bender if you're ever interested, I can give you contact details for a good teacher of Kalis Ilustrisimo in Melbourne.

pyromaniaSILVER Member
92 posts

Posted:
 Written by: effex

BEWARE THE MIGHTY WOODEN SPOON!!!

HAHAHA

when i saw this forum ithought you meant real fighting cos ive had a 2 bad experiences like that frown not good, even if you do win, if you do get in a fight run.......now back to the more happy things in life FIRE ubblove....1 of my thousands of friends ubblol and i fight with fire staves but we have never performed publicaly

"as you journey through life take a moment to stop and think about the other fellow.....He might be plotting something" Hagar the Horrible

"GIMMIE A BAG OF JELLY BEANS OR I'LL BITE YOUR KNEECAPS" The King Of Id

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
yeah bender, im into a bit of biffo with weapons.........

its all good fun so long as one bears in mind its gonna hurt when accidents happen........

we used to make staffs with padding so we could hit with impunity, but we found that skill and timing were replaced with 'bashing' for want of a better word. same with shinai too. not the same with swords though, not the same at all. they scary and pointy and hurty.

i like staff for teaching people confidence with weapons as you can be a fair distance from danger and still get the excitement and feel of what its all about.

and having fun is what its all about i guess.

6,978 posts

Posted:
power and precision are two important goals in marital arts - it doesn't require too much skill to hurt somebody, and it takes the utmost skill to not hurt someone!

precision is honed with practice, so let's start building wooden men! heh

BozBRONZE Member
sober
109 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

GeoffonTour04:
hold it diagonally, hands opposed, and block with the nearest part with as little movement as possible. When you blocked hit back with the opposite end in an undefended area, or if no such opportunity presents itself, set yourself up a feint or something tricky. That's the basics, there should be loads on the web.

that sounds more like half-staffing to me, quarter staff you hold it one hand at the middle, one hand halfway between that and the butt (thus a quarter of the staffs length is between your hands, hence quarter staff wink ) - its more proddy and hitty, and you're further from your opponent, halfstaffing's more up close and personal.
If you want to learn about quarter staffing, and traditional english combat (swords and such) in general, get hold of a book by terry brown, called 'the english martial arts'
it has pictures and EVERYTHING smile
ubblolyou too can master the perfect cross buttock ubblol

*produces sandwich- is happy*

Page:

HOPニュースレター

サインアップして、最新の販売、新しいリリースなどを入手してください...