StigSILVER Member
110 posts

Posted:
hiya everyone, i applied for a job as an activities instructor a few months ago with a company called kingswood and they rang me today askin if i wanted to go to a sorta selection weekend in january down south. unfortunately i dont have a job and therefore have no money.......what do i do??? do i save up all my money form now til then on the off chance they will give me a job or do i listen to my mums moaning and wait until iv got plenty of money and experience before i even think about a job like this? i really dont know what to do confused

How do paracetamol know where the pain is???

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
hmmmm, maybe you should get back to them and explain the situation - they might be able to help out.

on the other hand that might be a really bad idea....sorry, that wasn't particularly helpful.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

thegreatBJWoman! Not gay Man!
332 posts

Posted:
you should do that actually, explain that you really whant this chance and is there anything they could do....make sure you sound like youre really interested

I AM NOT A GAY MAN!

StigSILVER Member
110 posts

Posted:
i guess i could try it, im gunna ring them up tomorrow and find out exactly where and when it is, see how much it is on bus/train then go from there

StigSILVER Member
110 posts

Posted:
Argh i rang them up, they cant help me with travel unfortunately but iv just looked at trains from scunthorpe to north norfolk and it will only be about £80 return which isnt too bad i guess plus it should be a good weekend and never know there might be another spinner there..........i really wanna go.........dam i need a job

ChickpeaSILVER Member
mostly a muppet in need of distraction...
305 posts

Posted:
i've been to a couple of selection weekends and they're a really good laugh - definately worth going to especially if its a centre you really want to work at - everything else should be included acommodation/food etc and depending on what activities you do and they're doing they'll have spare kit as well.
i was offered a job at the one centre i applied to but went to another weekend just coz the first one was such a laugh.
do you have a young persons railcard? they're only 20 quid and would save you 25 quid on your ticket (but you'd have a 12 month railcard left over)

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
yeah, young person's railcard is definately worth it....you can make your money back on one journey.

shame about them not being able to help out...but whatever happens hope you get the job...good luck smile

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

StigSILVER Member
110 posts

Posted:
thatnk you so much, never really thought about railcards, dont understand them so i guess thats one thing to look into tonight biggrin

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
dude. kingswood..

You will get the job. Simple, so its worth going. I dont know anyone that has been turned down, unless they had serious attitute!
A better company worth calling is Junior choice adventure, tell them Tom Barnett suggested it. I have done three seasons with JCA. They rock!!

They love me as i pretty much started there poi comunity! They have centres in lovely locations! They pay better than the rest of the market, and the food is lovely. If you go to to the isle of wight the accomadation is Fantastic!!

Unlike kingswood, they do telephone interviews! and invite you down for a three week induction when the season kicks off!

let me know how you get on! any other questions about the industry, im your man.

GOod luck!

passing through, this world still lives.

StigSILVER Member
110 posts

Posted:
if they have a poi community they will do for me, im dreading goin along and doing a bit of spinning and people abusing me for it (mild paranoia)

StigSILVER Member
110 posts

Posted:
frodo do you know their website or anything, i cant seem to find a recruitment section on the one iv got up

ChickpeaSILVER Member
305 posts

Posted:
https://www.travelclass.co.uk/
(under - working for us - at the top of the page)
i'm not frodo..... but i was having a nose at their site today - if i hadnt just gotten a new job...i'd work for them they seem like a pretty good company - better than acorn/kingswood//pgl by the looks of things.
Becs x

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

StigSILVER Member
110 posts

Posted:
cheers chuck! oh new job, congrats!

StigSILVER Member
110 posts

Posted:
has anyone else worked at any of these sorta places and want to give me there opinion??? please ill pay you biggrin

ChickpeaSILVER Member
305 posts

Posted:
what do you want an opinion about? i've done freelance work at centres but never properly lived in...worked as a raft guide/kayak instructor for a while as well.....can give you some advice on what you should expect to get from them etc..
Pm if theres anything i might be able to help with,
Becs x

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
same here..

ive done a few things,

Im a senior sailing instructor
I have my spa
Pb level 2 asseseor (spelling).... lol
Canoe coach
kayak coach
Archery
Fencing
lifegaurd

and a few other things.....
just stick questions up.. .we will respond!! lol

Harry_PotterToadStool Circus Acts
181 posts

Posted:
Ive worked at a outdoor persuits centre for a week. It was work experience but they basically treated my like a insturctor was amazing. I took out groups for orienteering, high wire course, I've also taken groups of scouts Kayaking, Canoeing, Hill Walking, not aloud to do mountain walks, dam rules. But i loved it all. Im deffinetly getting a job in this area of work. Its good to do a job outdoors and come on there like fun at the same time, better than a office job for def.

Yo-yoist, Staffer and 3 Ball and Club Juggling
'Its people like us, who make them feel talentless.'

StigSILVER Member
110 posts

Posted:
well i dont have any quals, just a bit of climbing experiance but i love climbing so much and iv done a bit of volunteering in this sort of stuff so i know i enjoy it. would my lack of qualifications make life harder for me, iv just got a couple of application forms from the like of pgl and they all ask for experience or quals held.

like i was saying i have application forms from a few places, which have the best reputations or whatever, they all seem to offer nvq2 and various ngb awards so should i just go with which pays higher? i really do have no idea. thanks for your help though biggrin:D:D

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
go with travelclass!

best package! do it!

ChickpeaSILVER Member
305 posts

Posted:
there are a lot oaf agencies which will train you on site , don't know if you've noticed but a lot of companies pay on a loyalty basis - e.g.pgl you get more for every season you return etc.personally i think pgl are a pile of poo run by monkeys (sorry if i offend anyone) and i'd try and work somewhere who guarantee NGB qualifications. have you tried any of the other sports you're likely to have to do? if you're thinking about it over a longer term basis then i'd say for this season risk not such great pay for a company that will get you your NGB quals in at least kayak/canoeing/spa and things like orienteering...and anything else they offer - sailing etc then the season after haggle for better money with all your quals.
Becs x

StigSILVER Member
110 posts

Posted:
thanks becs, very informative, much help gained! will now go rip up pgl application form! iv tried things like quad biking, hill walking and kayaking a few times but nothing serious due to lack of money.

frodo, nothing like lookin at ones options!

are any of the places likely to have poi people there? id hate to be the only one, yet on the other hand i could always get people there into it and create some newbies! hmmmmm *ponders on that thought a moment* :d

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
I've only had time to skim through this thread, but Stig if this is the job you want to do then I'd definitely try to get down there for the weekend.
I've worked in the outdoor industry for 5 years (river leader, canoe and kayak coach, spa, windsurfing, multi act., etc), and would recommend any advice Frodo can give. (I'm currently living in Canada, so am not too up on the UK outdoor companies).

Written by: chickpea

personally i think pgl are a pile of poo run by monkeys (sorry if i offend anyone) and i'd try and work somewhere who guarantee NGB qualifications

Hmmmmm... yes and no. I've worked for PGL, and personally I think they're a good company to start into the industry with. There are people in the company who don't know their arse from their elbow... but that's the same in any large company. (PGL is the largest outdoor activity company).
As a company they are very good in training up new staff in whatever areas of interest they have. For example, they have a large number of canoe and kayak coaches who need coaching hours before going on their next assessment... so they take people who are interested in learning the sport and coach them.
Yes, I know this is the same for lots of companies, but PGL just has the sheer number of people there to train you in whatever you want to do.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not telling you to go and work for PGL. I'm just trying to give you another persons opinion, so you can make the choice on your own.

Good luck.
smile

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
wink

"will come back in and give some more info, when ive stopped blushing"

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
I worked for Kingswood. At the Staffordshire centre. I didn't do the induction, I just told them I couldn't make it and asked for an interview on site. Which they gave me and I got the job. Started a week later.

Thing with Kingswood is it's pretty pants. The food sucks, the money sucks (£250 pm) and the accomodation sucks (small shared room). The training they promise isn't as good as they make it seem. They will start you on an NVQ and yes they will occasionally give you time off to work on it but not that often and only when it suits them.

The NVQ will take you about a year to complete and then if your lucky they might offer you a year 2 contract which is better money but they won't keep many people on into their second year.

Don't get me wrong, there are some really good sides to it. The people you work with will become like family to you because your all in the same boat and living in the same place. The work itself is great, i've not found a job I liked more than when I was working with the kids. It's very rewarding.

Basically, If you can get by on the money and don't mind the rubbish food and accomodation then you'll be ok. Personally I couldn't keep living on so little money because of existing debt I had.

Hope this helps biggrin
EDITED_BY: [noodles] (1130936556)

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

ChickpeaSILVER Member
305 posts

Posted:
ok - it was a bit of a sweeping statement...im mainly going on experience with a fair few pgl instructors who didnt seem to have a clue what they were doing.
im sure pgl has its perks and i know people who have worked there for several seasons (but again - their river safety wasnt that great at all)
i might have just met the less good pgl people.
Becs x