Calvnewbie
15 posts

Posted:
Hi there,

I'm just learning about the whole poi and staff thing after being introduced to it by my girlfriends daughter who does it. Last week i spent a few hours at Bournemouth where a few people met up with the poi, staff and all the other toys, later they went up onto a side street and did fire which was great to watch.
Now i have two daughters who are just 6 and 7 and have just got thier first set of poi and are still learning the basics. I want to make them a staff to practice with, a proper chrome or aluminium one with the rubber grips etc as explained on the forums here. I was going to just place a couple of ruber caps on each end and tape them up too. I just think it would be better to start as they mean to go on if you know what i mean rather than using the plastic majorette type things they get from the cheapy shops then bust them the next day!
My question is, is thier a general rule of thump how long a kid should start with? They are only little don't forget so should i go by the "ground to armpit" method? I need to get the pole a little bit thinner i think due to thier little hands though. I'm off into B&Q later to see what i can dig up.
Oh yeah, one more question, the wooden dowelling that is placed inside the pipe, i've seen some say that it needs to fill the entire length of the pipe, and some saying that you just need a few inches at each length. Does it matter or does it just effect weight? I need to keep it light enough so they are'nt shattered after a few minutes.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Calv.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i'd advise you to make the staffs from broomstick handles or thick dowel, with no metal outer.

Broomsticks:

PROS: Cheaper, easier, less hurty, less bendy and easier to decorate.

CONS: Less shiny, unless you use shiny paper on them.

if they're gonna be used by littluns, then i'd also recommend heavily padding the ends (i'd use pipe insulation). That's for the safety of others, let alone the littluns themselves... wink

oh, and length: i'd say measuring the user from shoulder height to floor will give you an excellent length, but if they want them longer or shorter, then listen to them smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

*PiPeR*stranger
38 posts

Posted:
I have a nine-year-old sister who has a staff that comes up to her armpit which is where mine comes up to on me. I find this great because I can teach her all the things I learn without having to change moves because, relatively, her staff to person proportions are the same as mine.
The thing is, she keeps growing, so we are ploughing through the broom handles! Doesn't matter though, because they are nice and cheap and it takes all of ten mins to make a grip and pad the ends for her.

~*PiPeR*~

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
There are some really funky contacts , the stuff you cover books in. If you use rubber end you can slip some ribbons in there too so give sound and colour. Surveyors tape is pretty cheap and colourful. Then when you make more for other kids its easy.
If you have a look at Skullys hoop site they have some lovely tape to wrap around their hoops that would look great on satffs too.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Calvnewbie
15 posts

Posted:
Excellent idea, the kids will love anything bright and sparkly so the tape will be real good on thiers. I'm taking them to B & Q tonight to pick thier staff handles, just gotta get the right height and thickness for thier little hands. I have a feeling i'm going to have to go with 1/2 inch instead of 3/4 as once the grip is added it makes it a bit thicker anyway and may be a bit hard to do any finger twirling.

Thanks again for the ideas,

Calv.