MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
I've decided to possibly start bulding djembes, and was just hoping for tips, techniques and/or pointers on how do to it, if anyone has before. I quite liked the sound of mine before i killed it, so i'm probably going to build one very similar first, then start changing things to see what it ends up like.

Learning by experry mints. Best way to do it smile

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
A good starting point for all things Djembe is the FAQ

I haven't made drum from scratch but I recently reskinned mine...and have read extensively on it...the web has loads of info..

When skinning I recomment a small vice grips (locking pliers) and a thic pulling stick. I read somewhere that if you put large screw in hook into that it' helps...

The wood you use is important.... hard woods are better. Someone promised to send me a list of woods they have and they accoustic properties..if I get that I'll forward it on.

The bearing edge is important...see FAQ
The thickness is also important. Thinner sounds better but too thin will break.... is your old shell completely useless now? Would u be better off trying to fix it?
Dimensions and ratios are propably extemely important...

Check out the mailing list this has loads of info in the archives but the old post are sometimes hard to trawl through...

There are several drum makers on the list who answer peoples questions though... if your going to go through all the effort and I do think it's good mission defo read up on all the stuff frist...good luck I hope it's a magical journey.... smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
My old djembe is fixed and sounding better than it used to biggrin biggrin

I'm thinking of pretty much copying my one, just to get the skills down and learn what is needed, then play around with changing dimensions and stuff. perhaps then go on to modify and basically wreck that one in the interest of learning what does what.

And that link sends me to gmail...

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

nordemember
39 posts

Posted:
i have a friend in the London area who is looking some djembe's reskinned... he doesn't think he's up to doing it himself.......

think he has a few of them, all around 40cm
anyone in that area up to it?? or know anyone ?

ta

Love me when i least deserve it... cause that is when i need it the most