Forums > Social Chat > Cirque shows and Las Vegas

Login/Join to Participate

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I just got back from a trip to Vegas. I saw both Cirque du Soleil show, 0 and Mystere. I saw a show a while back, Allegria. I knew I'd see something good, but I didn't think they'd blow my mind again. How wrong was I? If y'all get to Vegas, you must see both. So, you may be wondering, what about the fire in O. Well, it was well done, but nothing that particularly blew my mind. Poi was pretty much the same tricks we all know. Very well executed, but not mind boggling. They had a Polynesian trio which I loved seeing, but again not particularly outstanding. Still the Cirque is a must see. Say, Pele, did you actually get offered an audience? Diana

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Jury is still out, I on the list for future show concideration. They are retiring La Nouba and Saltimbanco and developing new shows, which is where the concideration comes in. I am just thrilled I was accepted thusfar. Though after reading the scheduling and contractual obligations, I wonder if I'd be comfortable signing my life so completely away. (Libra thing, I talk myself out of everything!)Diana, my understanding is that O is primarily a water show...how did they integrate water with fire?------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
They did some nice work in terms of featuring bits of fire within the show. In water pieces they featured a clown floating throught the scene in an old style bathtub. He had a top hat flaming from the top and drank a booze bottle flaming from the end. Just a spot bit. They had another spot of a double staff spinning running across the stage with his arms pumping. The two major acts were a poi spinner. Sad to say nothing exceptional. He was very good, had nice finesse but no mind-boggling skills. They did a bit where hit lit up a clown sitting in a chair reading the newpaper and the fire spread from his shoe, up his leg, and caught the car and newspaper on fire. Then he got up and walked calmly off stage. Very effective. They other major bit was a polynesian staff trio. All my favorite stuff from the polynesian traditions. (very high staff tosses, tongue caresses on the long end of the staff, laying back and balancing the staff with the wicks on the soles of the feet.) Very much enthusiasm and energy put out. But not technically incredible. Not as incredible to me as the technical expertise I've seen in their other acts. Then again, it's different seeing from the inside, from the position of working within an art. Diana

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Oh, the integration. What I got from how they integrated the two was: First, they gave just a flavor of fire first. They sailed the flaming hat/bottle guy first. He didn't do anything but raise and lower the bottle. Second, they put the fire acts in back-to-back after a large scale aerial act and a large scale water. Hope this helps.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
PS: Did anyone see Dralion? I heard there was fire in that show. Again, not very exceptional.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Yes I have seen Dralion and no there was no fire. What is it is a play off of the old chinese style circus'. The whole premise of Dralion is that it is the "elements" showing off for each other. An african style female dancer (who is not very impressive) for earth, a russian male dancer for fire, an arialist for air and an arabic indian dancer (not belly) for water. Each one was asigned a color earth/brown, fire/red, air/blue, water/green and the subsequent acts had costumes which correlated to the element they were asigned. Fire performers were these men who balanced large flags and swung them about, balancing on top of balls/acrotbatics style stuff. No real fire. The best part of that show was truly the clowns, they had me crying from laughter.But it is Cirque and it is bound to change, but that was my experience with Dralion. And for the record, Saltimbanco and La Nouba didn't have fire performers when I saw them either.Think I like Cirque just a bit? rolleyes------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Oh, yeah, the clowning. There was a brilliant clown in Mystere. Big guy in a fat suit with bib and a baby bottle. Had the hiccuping baby laugh down pat. Impecable timing. Very sparse work, but knew just where to put the action. Just beautiful. A clown after my own heart. Diana

vyvyanjourneyman
92 posts

Posted:
The general perception over here about Alegria is that the clowning could be better. If you have seen it, what do you guys think? I just hope that Cirque suddenly feels the need for monstrous amounts of fire in their developing shows so we can show the world how we would do it! Take it further than ever before and make a fire show like is a water show. he heh heh ( rubbing hands and grinning inanely)cheers, kerri@fireworksdance

...Firebreathing? Magic is only part of it my friend, diet does the rest!