Forums > Social Discussion > More on British Culture... Gingers

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I hadn't even actually heard the term ginger haired used before I went there- in the US we are boring and say red. But what I missed was the apparently deragatory nature of it, and what a problem it can actually be. Talking to people, I've since learned that as a red-head in britain you expect to be abused about it all through school and in general even when you are out walking... this mystifies me, but after I started looking for it I found a lot of stories. So...

Brits, is it really that bad? Does it depend where you are?

Have any non brits seen it? Particuarly orange people might be called carrot top here, and are stereotyped to not like their hair, but... its certainly not much!

I know its essentially just another form of racism, and this one even has a gene seperating them from others, but.... how very strange! Any thoughts or explanations welcome...

Kyri ubbrollsmile

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I must admit, I'm guilty of the odd bit of banter with Ginger people concernig the colour of their hair...

But I only do it to friends that I know will realise I'm just taking the p*ss.

I think a lot of it is from School children - Kids can be so cruel!!

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
I think the prejudice may be due to red hair being quite a Celtic thing and consequently go as far back as the Saxon invasions. As various people invaded Britain red hair became associated as belonging to the underclass of native Britains. Also redheads do have a tendency to be quick tempered and are therefore easy to bait.

Personally I love ginger or red hair, especially on women, especially when it is curly, even better if it is long ubbloco

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Being Ginger myself I have been through the whole of my school life being taunted about it but hey it has made me who I am today smile

Personally now people can say what the hell they like about me being ginger and it will all pass straight over my head wink

i am however starting to lose it but only very occasionally get tetchy about balding jokes smile

Mark P x

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I hate red-headed patients.

Oh, they're nice enough...but they metabolize drugs more slowly than other people, and they don't scar well.

Something about red hair and poor healing and poor drug metabolism. I don't know what the connection is.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Yeah, they recommend checking with your anesthesiologist (sp?) before having surgery if you're gingery because they take about 20% more to go under properly...My friend has a red-haired sister who, when that got published and then picked up by the news media, was given about 20 articles on it. But nonetheless they apparently make for interesting research.

Didn't ever imagine you as either ginger or balding mark p... see how silly I am, but americans have so few red heads it just doesn't occur.... it still seems strange to me that school kids care so much, altho I'm definetly getting the opinion that its because its not proper english but scot/irish/dane blood that gives the red....or at least it started that way?

The temper thing is I think brought out in part by social expectations- I mean I surely know red heads that arn't actually that tempermental but are nonetheless not that calm, but they do tend to have quite ively personalities to be sure!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Arty FartyBRONZE Member
I wear yellow on monday
551 posts

Posted:
Deleted post as re-reading it made what I'd writtern look like my opinion, therefore making me look gingerphobic

ie:
Written by: onewheeldave

Written by: arty farty

the opinion of my whole school saw the ginger people as 'ugly', and not very popular. i wonder whether the ginger hair made them bad as an aesthetic (physically unattractive), or whether the constant taunting made them shy/sporadically voilent and thats what made them unattractive, their unattractive personality?

Don't know if you're aware of this but the way you've put that seems to be making the ussumption that red-haired people are not merely seen to be unattractive, but are unnatractive?

I dont mind the ginge', a very handsome one lives up the road from me, phaw!!
EDITED_BY: arty farty (1123689600)

You'll find me on the dance floor

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I'm slightly ginger and haven't been abused for it. Having said that I've not been to British schools... I didn't know about the scarring, but one doctor told me that it was harder to find the veins in ginger women. You'd think that with the pale skin they'd be easy to find!

Strangely, lots of men have told me they like gingers. But then the ones who don't wouldn't tell me, would they wink Luckily my boyfriend loves Celtic things biggrin

In Germany, people still associate red hair with witches, though more in a funny way than to actually accuse someone. I've never thought about that, but if red hair is actually associated with Celts it suddenly makes sense how that could've been turned into paganism/witchcraft some centuries ago.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
It can be difficult to explain why ginger haired people are seen in a negative way without actually being offensive.

I think that, where schoolkids are concerned, being red haired is like being overweight, or wearing glasses- there's not actually anything wrong with it, but they behave as if there is.

I guess it's human nature that groups of children feel the need to have a quota of victims who they can harrass, and that's always going to be the minority groups with clear visual markers such as glasses, bodyweight, hair colour and skin colour.

Written by: arty farty

the opinion of my whole school saw the ginger people as 'ugly', and not very popular. i wonder whether the ginger hair made them bad as an aesthetic (physically unattractive), or whether the constant taunting made them shy/sporadically voilent and thats what made them unattractive, their unattractive personality?

Don't know if you're aware of this but the way you've put that seems to be making the ussumption that red-haired people are not merely seen to be unattractive, but are unnatractive?

The truth is that neither is the case, there are many attractive red-heads and anything indicating otherwise is down to prejudice.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Its quite interesting... any more comments keep them coming. A lot of people do seem to think its a holdover from the irish/ scottish thing.

I just... it makes me really sad to see (a good friend of mine) so obviously unhappy with himself and convinced society is too (a friend of his once listed ginger hair as a form of contraception, albeit at least partly jokingly) when he's so gorgeous.... *sighs* I know its just another form of racism (albeit one i didn't so much expect?) but its still quite sad to me... and I still don't understand almost at all!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Because ginger hair looks silly like a clowns wig, and people who have ginger hair tend to be very light until 15ish then it darkens, and at 14 and under everyones hair looks embarresing, uuugh I cringe when I look at old school pictures before I started doing stuff to my hair. so a ginger person has it just that slightly bit worse than everyone else.

But when a ginger persons hair starts to darken (and turn into a red head, the two are very different) thats when they start makeing there hair look good and tadaa the name calleing calms down abit if not stops completly.

I knew a girl in shcool who called herself ginger and had a luagh about it, then there was a lad who used to grin and say he was stawberry blonde

Its something thats very 'english' to make fun of others that are different but in a friendly way....that and we dont usually run around shouting about how its offensive and make an issue out of nothing

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
check here out [Old link] this is a link to a thread i created a while ago about being ginger in society, but i wont say u should have donea search tongue

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Fire + Cat = Woof has my praise... my adoration just dyed his hair :/ I mean it doesn't look bad, but...... hes just not as generally gorgeous as he used to be. Altho surely some thing havn't changed tongue

And, ok, Pyrowill, maybe I should have done a search, but I really didn't think of it! It still seems so bizarre to me....

You know, it makes me wonder now... I was at dom's house, (and drew's) they were lovely... but the point being that the light in their hall was very strange and made my hair look a very fiery auburn/red... i asked dom after it, and he said it was brown... (which is what i'm used to it being, really...) but i'm wondering if the red tints wern't just ignored at this point, i mean, not that i cared but i surely didn't know then!

and pyro, hope you've settled with your gingerness, it was looking good towards the end of that thread.....

If tthis sounds discontinuous, its because of all the wine i drank.... i had about 9 kinds at dinner.....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
there's 3 types of ginger really - strawberry blonde, dark auburn and of course proper orangy ginger! you tend to find with the really orange shade that its pretty wiry and tends to wave or curl. My sister was a strawb blond but we called her ginger (with a hard G not a J) and my ex hub was strawb blonde too. My hair goes a bit gingery when my die fades, but naturally i'm mousy blonde so i die it darker.

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Lets be fair if your ginger then your ginger stop trying to kid yourselves about the colour because your only fooling yourselves coz everybody sees you as ginger .

I personally am not of the ginger persuasion but my girlfriend is and she is GORGEOUS. Ginger people are not ugly....UGLY people are ugly (no offense to anyone because peoples tastes differ)
Both my Grans were ginger so IF (serious IF) I have children with my current girlfriend then my daughters are likely to be ginger . But if they take after her they will also be VERY attractive. lets except it. if you don't like your hair colour...dye it, there's no shame. If you want to dig at me..i'm going grey and don't care. biggrin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

JhingeBRONZE Member
110 posts

Posted:
if guna dig at you you long haird egotistical g*t hug but your right dude if your ginger your ginger get over it im 100000000%

ginger i love being ginger evry 1 in my town who knows me knows me as ginge no1 uses my real name its who i am and who i will always be and would,nt change it for all the hair dye in the world

the futures bright the futures ginger rolleyes wink wink
EDITED_BY: el ginger 1 (1123508943)

i dont get paid to belive i get paid to destroy things

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
And it's pronounced "Ging-war" (both hard g's) or "gwar" for short...
wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
ginga - like minga lol

the ginger gene flows through my veins but it wont quite surface.

Nicole kidman - v attractive

chris evans - not so attractive - thus a ginga minga heehee

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I seem to have rooted out a few proud ones... biggrin
Still don't really know what that would sound like but hey, in what context do i need to?

Its a funny gene.... recessive ones are... skips loads and loads of generations and then there you are.... friend of mine is the only one in history of his family (known) and my mum's sister is the only one we know of in ours for like five generations....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
wink el ginge 1..your a tart but you're great...cheers for making my life better I'm all for gingers. I'd like to be an honourary ginge biggrin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

JhingeBRONZE Member
110 posts

Posted:
next time you pass out at mine or clares im dying your hair wave

JhingeBRONZE Member
110 posts

Posted:
and im not a tart im a ginger tart at least get it right if your guna try and insult me:

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Hmmmm....Ginger perhaps...and what do you recon are the chances of ME passing out wink I can live on no sleep and you know it....speaking of which I've got to go and get some party sleep i didn't have this weekend. you underwear wearing pool swimming ginger....scary thoughts.... beerchug

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I'm ginger, i am not Orangey bright ginger, but ginger none the less.

I was bullied at School for being ginger too,
"ginga minga" was a common one.

Although i don't get it nearly as much now, i still get occasional shouts from people in the street about it.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

JhingeBRONZE Member
110 posts

Posted:
Its acceptable because it amusing to take the piss

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
gingernut cookies... mmmmmmm

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
That sounds so dirty!!!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
A firey orange is far more random and interesting than a boring blonde or a brown colouring.

I don't take the piss out of ginger's, but the British people are harsh and enjoy being generally abusive to anyone and everyone. tongue

Willy - is bad for your health...

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I think thats what should take the sting ot of insults. we will insult anyone and everyone with no care for race colour or creed. therefore it is LESS offensive coz everyone can be ribbed about something. wink
like i'm old, fat, grey, and bespectacled;
ginger would be an improvement ubblol

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Did anybody hear flirt divert yesterday on radio 1?
It was a lady ringing up a man to say thanks for the meal "but from your picture I didn't realise that you were ginger, and sorry ginger blokes really arn't my thing"

I'm sorry but if you're that shallow to not like somebody purely for their hair colour then..they're not worth being you're friend in the first place

Winged AvengerSILVER Member
The official Emma Peel wannabe
226 posts

Posted:
My boyfriend has ginger hair and he's the most beautiful person that I know. It upsets me so much when I hear people taunting redheads - its crazy and narrow-minded.

The chastisement of red-heads in the UK is weird. Maybe it is to do with the celtic thing but if a redhead goes to the US, Greece or Japan they're a beautiful curiosity.

Its something that starts at school. Kids always pick on people who are different in anyway and redheads appear to be an easy target. I guess some people consider it friendly banter once they get to adulthood but I'm sure that redheads do not see it in this way.

Its curious that gingerhaired women seem to be considered a lot more sexy by the public than men. I'm sure if you think about it you can name 5 famous and (what the media) considered sexy women but its a lot harder with men.

My redhead rocks and I wouldn't change him at all! kiss hug

"Always keep your bowler on in times of stress and watch out for diabolical masterminds" - Emma Peel

Page: ...