Forums > Social Chat > The thread that makes your brain burn...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
Have you ever had one of those questions that just dont really seem to have an answer? A question that you spend hours thinking about but just cant seem to come to a conclusion? A good example would be in "The Matrix" when the oracle asks Neo if he would have broken the vase if she hadnt told him about it. Well, this is a place for those questions. Pitch them here and who knows? Maybe someone out there will have an answer. ubbidea

Alright, heres some simple ones to start off with:

1)If there was no air, would planes still fly?
2)What would it really feel like to have a tail?
3)What came first, the chicken or the egg? (one of my personal favourites)

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
You are a pirate!

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
1) If by no air you mean no atmosphere planes couldnt fly as they need an atmosphere to provide their wings with lift.

2) Weird

3) The chicken ( or something similar ) came first it then evolved to lay eggs as we know them today.

Whats the square route of -1?

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
sorry to spoil it a bit but i can answer 1 and 3

1)it depends if there was another substance then possiby dpending on the density but if it were a vacume then no
3)the egg, because the chicken is an evolutionary stage and there would have been an egg for whatever was before it and also infact for things such as dinosaurs which were around far before chikens

as to question number 2 ask someone like simian

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
the square root too -1 is infact little i which is an imaginary number used in advanced mathematics and is the square root of minus numbers (including -1)

sorry too be so smart

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Allmost all animal life starts off as an egg, the females overys profduce eggs wich are then fetilised, not sure how snails do it tho, how does there repoductive systems work (slugs too for that matter??)

Oh I have a question for you all, see if you know it, why is the ski blue?

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
Sorry i meant a vacum when i said "no atmosphere".

Hahaha, Somone in class asked the science teacher "why is the sky blue" but the science teacher just said " it just is and you cant change it "

Why do men have nipples?

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
lol, men have nipples( and breast tissue) bwcause in the womb we are all born as default female...thena fter a certain ammount of time we get a sufdden rush of whats it called...the man hormone and we turn into men. We also have gills in the womb but we loose them for crappy lungs...shame

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
i think you'll find that men have nipples to put tiger balm on ubblol

and i do know why the sky is blue but i seem to be spoiling this thread so i will stop

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah the sky is blue because when gas molecules are hit by light ,the high frequency waves ( blue ) are absorbed by the gas molecules. Gas molecules absorb more high frequency waves ( blue ) than low frequency ( reds ). The gas molecule will then radiate the blue light back out in all directions for us to see.

I think its called the Rayleigh effect or something like it.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
It might also have something to do with the fact that water does actualy have a colour to it, its just only noticable when you have alot of water in a reasonably small place (compared to its mass), and low and behold its blue, and earth is like 2/3's water or something like that. Oh crap I keep forgetting to finsish my scentence lol...and Ive been told that light bounces of the sea and reflects upwards toward the sky.there all done.

Thats what I heard anyway

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
What???? i had gills. Noooo i lost them. You are not spoiling this thread. You seem to know alot so why not ask other people and share your knowlage.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
You know men are originally female cos of the little seam running up... whoops.

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? (Come on you Monkey Island fans!)

If something is accelerated in space, then doesn't it keep accelerating (if it's outside a gravity field), because there is no momentum? Doesn't this mean that it will *eventually* reach the speed of light?

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
For the chicken and egg question, we biologists ask it a bit differently.

"Is an egg a chicken's way of making another chicken...or is a chicken an egg's way of making another egg?"

biggrin

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
Sky is blue, i thought, because of the varyiung densities of the atmosphere. When the sun is above the horizon, light radiated has a path through a much thinner section of the atmosphere. At sunset, however, light must go thorough a thicker cross section, and the light diffracts more, hence the red, orange and sometimes purple.

SQRT -1 = i

You know how planes fly, right? the suction on top of the wing pulls them into the air? how do they fly upside down without both gravity and the suction (bernoulli) effect pulling them down to earth really quick?

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
Well seeing as i am a monkey. i could probaly answer 2.

It feels quite nice to have a tail, think of it as having a third arm with only 1 finger, you can use it to pick things up, and you can use it to spin more stuff. only down side is its a little akward sitting down.

Hope that answered your q!! tongue

as for a question, What is "Bad Wolf"?

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
The link between Rose and the Tardis! Or something.... smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
Heres one... Why does the bread always land butter side down?

And where are the four corners of the earth?

Oh and about the chicken theory, a baby chick would not be able to survive on its own unless it had some sort of parental care. Therefore the chicken came first. (I think) ubbloco
EDITED_BY: JonnyRok (1122803983)

You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
You are a pirate!

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
it ;ands butter side down because that is the heavier side of the bread

Josie-PosieBRONZE Member
82 posts

Posted:
I went and asked my boyfriend, who is incredibly clever and had a degree in physics and knows all about stars and fossils and stuff and he said "The sky is blue because the air refracts the light from the sun and splits it into its component colours. Just as a prism or rain drops split the light into a rainbow. During the day there the light comes more directly thought the air so there is less refracting power and the blue colour is seen. Near sun rise and sun set the light travels through more air and the refractive power is greater hence red is seen. The sea is blue because it reflects the sky; water has no colour of its own." So there you go...

I thought bread always landed butter side down because of the height of a standatd table and the size of a piece of bread, or is it because the butter is heavier? or is it just mean faires?

I have one ... what actually is a hangover?

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
it's a bit of both if yodid drop a bit of bread from a table twice the hight it would probably land the other way up it is true but the weight of the butter does help

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
A hangover (from what i've heard ubbangel ) is were you become really dehydrated and get the mother of all headaces.... something to do with the strings of your brain being pulled taught.... or something.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sethis

If something is accelerated in space, then doesn't it keep accelerating (if it's outside a gravity field), because there is no momentum? Doesn't this mean that it will *eventually* reach the speed of light?

No because of the formula Fu = M x A. The unballenced force or push (Fu) is equal to the acceleration (A) multiplied by the mass (M) of the object. This means that if the object were to stop being pushed, say by a rocket booster, then it would stop accelerating because the unballenced force would equal zero and therefore the acceleration would also have to equal zero, if we take the objects mass as a constant.

Hope that wasn't too messy. Its been about two years since I last thought about physics.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
i once asked my biology teacher if blue whales had nipples, and how big they were, it was a question that plagued me for weeks, and i can gladly say they do have nipples, and they are about 2 meters across!

Josie the reason toast (or bread) always lands butter side down is because you are holding the bread butterside up when you drop it and it only has enough time to turn over once before hitting the floor.

Hangovers are caused by dehydration, my some of my brothers mates at uni are doing a medical degree and "borrow" saline drips and after a night out put them in so rehydrate themselves before they wake up and yay no hangover!

how do other people think? i know how i think, but do people do it the same as me?

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
Written by: onefinalstep

Written by: Sethis

No because of the formula Fu = M x A. The unballenced force or push (Fu) is equal to the acceleration (A) multiplied by the mass (M) of the object. This means that if the object were to stop being pushed, say by a rocket booster, then it would stop accelerating because the unballenced force would equal zero and therefore the acceleration would also have to equal zero, if we take the objects mass as a constant.

Hope that wasn't too messy. Its been about two years since I last thought about physics.

so "an object will remain at rest of a constant speed, unless acted uppon by an external force" newton
ok all well and true, untill you get towards the speed of light where F=MA no longer holds true

you get in to einstine's domain, where E^2=P^2 . C^2 + M^2.C^4
where the mass changes due to relitivity.

any one have any ideas no mathmatical, as to why you can never reach the speed of light if you have a mass, ie your not a photon?

Yoni????

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
vampy tell me how you think and i will then if i can explain tell you how i think

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

lauz the caterpillagoddess of all things slimey and an interchangeable insect!
2,443 posts

Posted:
if i said i always lie would i be telling the truth or telling a lie

Shhhhhh! the boobies are trying to sleep.
owner and the property of noddy.
*i was a caterpilla last night wink* - libby_tuesday

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
you would be entering us all in to a circle of logic which we could not escape from!

well if we were vulcan of robot that is, humans are not logic based, thus we wont get stuck biggrin

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
i thought you would thrive in this thread bryn
lol

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
well ok then max, explain to me, why an abject with mass, and thus surface area may not exceed the speed of light of even reach the speed of light

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
ok
well e=mc2 and e=energy m=mass and c=stands for the speed of light

and as the speed of and object increases the mass increases expanentialy. so when the object would reach the speed of light it would be at a point of infinite mass, therefore would need infinite energy to move it. which as we know you can't have basically.

am i right 'o lord bryn master of physics?

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
me master i am not, i am a student i know enough to barley make a scratch.

i ment more an explination of to why, the object gains mass, no formulea invloved, i will write what i think when i am showered and all

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

Page: