Forums > Social Discussion > Fire spinning on a high street

Login/Join to Participate

lycheemanSILVER Member
stranger
5 posts

Posted:
Howdy, I;ve been doing fire dancing now for a couple of years and done a few private partys. I've just been asked to put a fire spinning group together to preform on a high street while people give out flyers for a venue, is there any legal reaon I can't do this? if so is there anything I can do about it?
I appreciate any information on this matter.
Rik

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
You will most likely have to ask permission of the local council, and they will ask for proof of insurance

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Ive never been asked for proof of insurance (better to have it thou just to be safe) and i perform on high streets all the time. Just be safe and use your peripheral vision smile

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

FacelessjokerBRONZE Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
A few of my friends inc. me just did it and didnt bother asking. Although if you want to do it often and are a prof. group you might want to.
I suggest that if you do or dont you get barriers coz there are idiots who with walk into your fire.

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Ok. Three things:

1) Make sure you have, at the very least, a wet towel, or some other form of fire safety device, to show that you're prepared for anything going wrong.

2) DO NOT allow anyone other than your group to spin fire. Just make it a standard policy to turn everyone else down, whoever they are. It just makes life simpler. Using the "We have insurance but you won't be covered" excuse works for me, even tho it isn't strictly true yet. biggrin

3) Be prepared to be moved on. The cops may well not be happy, especially if you're in the way of traffic. If they do, smile sweetly, and say "Yes Officer". That way, the next time, they'll be much more open to what you're doing. Our relationship with the police in Falmouth is excellent, and generally now we don't ever get moved on. They tend to come and watch quite a bit tho...

Best of luck with it. If you can develop a good relationship with the cops and the public, you should have many hours of happy hassle free spinning, and it helps no end when trying to get paid gigs.

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

lycheemanSILVER Member
stranger
5 posts

Posted:
wicked, thanks a lot for all your replys, that's definately given me food for thought. I'm going on a fire extingusher trainning course at work tomorrow anyway so that certificate should help a bit.

Cheers again

Rik

FlameChildSILVER Member
Pyromantic
136 posts
Location: Norway (Way way up North, on the left side of Swed...

Posted:
What's a high street?

-= I am the god of Hell-fire =-
-= And I bring you......fire =-

LadayBRONZE Member
75 posts
Location: In UK for now, but born an lived in ZIMBABWE and S...

Posted:
Our high streets are main roads filled with cafes shops etc etc.
Totaly in agreement with 'mags the jedi' if u in with the cops(in a good way) u should be fine.

lycheemanSILVER Member
stranger
5 posts

Posted:
I had a word to a fireman today and he told me i'd have to go to the local fire station to get more details although he also said I'd probably need a publc liability licence.

Reading high street is pedestrians only in case you wondered

LadayBRONZE Member
75 posts
Location: In UK for now, but born an lived in ZIMBABWE and S...

Posted:
Is that all u need? How about asking a cop?