Forums > Technical Discussion > Three clubs and the eternal battle of the giants.

Login/Join to Participate

Joshaynewbie
22 posts

Posted:
Evenin ladies and gents.
I am a juggle, born a juggler, shall die a juggler.
Now, many jugglers out there have crossed the problem that i am about to explain so i thought i'd bring it up for discussion.

Three club tricks. There are SOOOOO many 'new skewl' styles out there that involve a whole number of grabs, catches and locks that, well, feel like crap.
The question is, what is the best, most comfortable club for new school juggling.
The jugglers i have met around australia have put forward the following four clubs:
Radical Fish - Great for Leggos, excellently fast spin, Unusual shape. Skinny handles rumoured to screw up your handles in the long run :S

Piroettes - Delicious long yet classical shape, Fast spin, loooooong handles.

Fat Boys (I know....) - FAT!!! Highly visible, Heavy, medium spin, VERY stable.

And last but not least, The classic (Henry's, Dube, Babache, they all have one) - Stable, moderate spin, All different colours and styles biggrin

Please, Jugglers of HoP, which are the winners?
Are Fish just a fad? Are fat boys TOO fat? Are the classics doomed to remain classic?

What do ya think....

The eternal question, which came first, the spinner or the juggler....

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
fish: look great, are thin so good for numbers and have all the advantages you mentioned and some (wrong end traps, double wrong end catches etc.). but they feel flimsy and they are - they were my first set of clubs and they lasted less than a year.

henry's classic - great club, classic look but i'd recommend the delphin's over these simply because of the price difference.

fatheads - never used them but i've seen the gandini's using them for a rhythm-based siteswap act (no wrong end catches or traps with these bad boys though).

pirouettes - ubblove

i think a good indicator is what the pro's use - look at the type of jugglers whose styles you are moving towards (i.e. the 'new school' jugglers) and see what they use in their shows (note: a prop used in a sponsered video is not a prop chosen for the stage).

hmm - may have gotten to the bottom of my buying strategy here - maybe i only have black and white pirouettes because i dream about having half of malte steinmetz' talent and half of toby walker's... wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
um.

fish or pirouettes:
most common ones i've seen

fish: scandinavian wierd new school
pirouettes: european poncey new school

biggrin

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
This might do better in other toys? I would be happy if I could just juggle a cascade with mine!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I reckon this is technical.

smile

Highly.

Imagine trying to read the video manual wink

Thats how technical I reckon this is to jugglers. tongue

Joshaynewbie
22 posts

Posted:
Fish? Flimsy? :S
Coleman>> Toby Walker uses pirroettes???

Hmmm, i was seriously considering the pirroettes but it seems these days EVERYONE has em and they feel oh so similair to fish but without the bonus of CRAZY-AWSOME-SUPER-FUNTASTIC novelty value biggrin:D:D

Hehe, that being said, i think Fish will more than triple the number of people that come up to you after a show and say, "So what do you call those things? Most jugglers just use bowling pins don't they?"

*hands prickly leaf three clubs made from NASA's new 'lighter than air' solid* Here, try these wink

Ooo, Oooooo, on a completely unrelated note. SILICONE ROCKS!!!!!!
Tis all

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
currently i own flash clubs but i hear beards have somewhat of a lofty feel and dubes i here are good as well

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
I have beard circus specials...not a great club, too light.

I wouldn't recommend fish, they look crap IMHO

Piroettes are nice but i find the spin a bit quick.

Toby Walker I think uses Henry's Lunas

I would recommend you learn some new school tricks and then try out the tricks at your local juggling shop with different clubs, and go for the clubs which suit you. Everyone has different tastes.

juggle

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

Joshaynewbie
22 posts

Posted:
I've used all of them and have my own opinions of them.
I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks.
Fish are without a doubt the very best club there is for wrist catches and locks, and backcrosses flow ever so nicely. Trust me, they may look a little nasty but when it's down to business, they're ace.

Out of interest, are you using stage balls for seven or beanbags?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
toby walker does indeed use lunas - aka glow in the dark delphin long.

i just liked the black trim (knobs, ends and tape) so i got pirouettes (like malte) in that setup (like toby) and drop them lots (like me) smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Joshaynewbie
22 posts

Posted:
Earl Shatston, My juggling coach uses Dube Fatboys.
He juggles seven of em....
Tis quite a sight, I think he might be the only one in the world to manage seven fatboys.
He said he used to use a club similair to pirroettes but changed when he got sponsorship.
*drools* Fatboys are soooo purdey ubblove
Oh, before anyone goes out and buys seven of em (yeah, cos THAT'LL happen :P ) I'll should probably mention that Earl has MONSTER hands, they're huge. I can barely hold three fatboys in one hand, letalone throw a controlled triple while holding four ubbloco
Hehe, I love how they're advertised as passing clubs, "Roll up roll up, get yourselves a brand new set of passing clubs, that's right, for a mere six hundred dollars you too can throw around the moster expensive mass produced club on offer :P "

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
either radical fish or henry's delphin

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
luke burrage alledgedly learnt to flash 6 clubs with renegade fatheads.

but he's another one of those silly people with too much talent rolleyes

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

steve dbBRONZE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
i wouldn't buy radical fish clubs if i were you. i bought some a year ago. last month i decided they were just too much hassle and bought some of the henry's clubs with the fat bodies.

the fishes i had kept braking in numerous fun and exciting ways. the dowel broke on a couple of them, the handle knobs kept cracking and coming off, and the plastic at the other end of the club broke on one of them.

admittedly i didn't treat them particuarly nicely (but they deserved everything they got).

Anna-panannaThinking...
179 posts

Posted:
Mmmm pirouettes, I love them! They're not too fat, not too thin, a good weight, seem pretty tough, and come in so many beautiful sparkly colours!

Fish used to be my faves...but praps that's cos I'm a girl and I have teeny weeny hands, so thin handles and light clubs are good. But they are crap outside in any kind of wind...pirouettes are better but still not great in the british weather! All my Fish broke too, 'durable' is NOT a word I'd use to describe them.

Practice as if your hair was on fire...

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Written by: Joshay

Out of interest, are you using stage balls for seven or beanbags?

I assume that question was pointed at me?

I use Mr.Babasche which are beany bags things. But I have done 7 with aerotechs and passe passe globalls.

Out of interest, have you seen the Radical Clubs Fish News videos yet? That has a whole load of club manipulation all using fish. Having said that i still wouldn't recommend them.

Believe what others have said about them breaking, blowing in the wind and (my personal thought) looking shite.

juggle

P.S. offtopic Anna - who is the dude in your avatar, he's awesome at unicycling isn't he?

ah wah wah wah a wah wah