mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Lately I've been doing a lot of wick grab moves. Either for direction changes or just a little excitement. After a couple sessions I inevitably have little second degree burns all over my hands and arms from the chain just above the wick. Those little burns get seriously annoying.

To fix the problem, I took a section of 2" wick and sewed it into a sleeve that slides down the chain to cover the hottest section.

Non-Https Image Link

The sleeve slides easily so you can quickly pull it up the chain when you dip and let it back down to spin. It acts as a buffer between your skin and the hot metal as well as an insulator so the metal doesn't seem to get quite as hot. This has dramatically reduced the number of burns I get when grabbing and doesn't add much weight.

Anyone else out there use something like this or have a better design? I thought about kevlar gloves but that would ruin the whole effect.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

GherkinGOLD Member
Inventor
117 posts

Posted:
That's a pretty good idea... I would use it, but I change between my nylon practice monkeyfists and my kevlar ones quite regularly, so I need to be able to get to the quicklink. I'll have to stick to avoiding the chain.

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
The sleeve slides easily up and down the chain\quick link\swivel so the quick link is still at the base and is accessible. Spinning force keeps the sleeve in place. I put the swivel above my quick link so it just pokes out the top of the sleeve and does not interfere with it's operation.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Nope, my chains never even get hot confused2 I can wrap then around bare skin down to the head and the head can even sit there for a second.

What type of chains do you use? And do you have metal bolts sticking out of your heads? Maybee you have really big heads? I did use to have that problem, but that was when i used cable. Cable burns suck. censored

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
The only exposed metal is the top link ring. It's probably my fuel. I primarily use white gas which burns hot and I usually spin a few times before the poi completely cool.

Doing grabs with kero is far too messy. You end up looking like you stepped out of a coal mine.

GherkinGOLD Member
Inventor
117 posts

Posted:
I always look like I've stepped out of a coal mine when I'm spinning. Wraps with snake poi using kero = very black. I'm going to give your idea a go when my wick comes in the mail.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I find the ballchain doesn't cause burns (not enough heat capacity to cause significant burns I think), but the quicklink, eyebolt, and washer do.

I like your idea though... it also made me wonder about coating the offending parts with a thin layer of white glue to reduce their heat conductivity, though this is probably not durable enough to be effective on the quicklink and would also complicate opening it, which means this wick condom idea still sounds pretty good, and a lot less cumbersome than arm gaurds.

hmmm....

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

AntiwormGOLD Member
15 posts

Posted:
Excellent idea. After seeing wick grabs for the first time at Burning Man, i immediately started trying it. i use white gas and haven't gotten any bad burns ( just a little discomfort when i don't catch the wicks just right [ home-made cathedrals with large fender washers and a big eyebolt through them ] ). When next i order stuff from HOP then i'll probably get some extra kevlar to try that out. Thanks.

As a side note, i'm a bit more concerned about messing up my nylon handles when doing sustained grabs than getting burned. My friend's handles are quite warped now after periodically melting a little from such grabs. Maybe we should switch to leather? ( i'll do a search to see if a thread exists on that topic ).

GherkinGOLD Member
Inventor
117 posts

Posted:
I've been doing grabs like that for a bout 6 weeks now, and my nylon handles are still in one piece. I got some leather handles a few days ago though, because I'm also worried about my nylon handles melting or catching on fire.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Ok, is it just me or is it obvious that the most dangerous thing is the metal in fire-poi construction- it conducts and retain lots of heat, weakens under heat and isn't actually that good to spin with (chain and swivels, links etc)

THEREFORE

ditch firepoi with metal in- I have since october and I'm a far happier fire spinner!

I am saying nothing more.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
what do you make the chain substitute out of? wood? wink

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
LOL!

You can't just say something like that in the "Technical Discussion" forum without the details Mr Chutney. spank ubblol

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
errrr... gloves people?

nevermind... wink

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Good thinking Chutney. I have a feeling I know what youre talking about. Ive been wanting to take the same path for the past two months or so. Just havent gotten around to buying the supplies to make my new leashes yet. May I inquire on the method you used? I was just thinking of something like a reverse snake. However, doing that would still leave metal bits at the bottom... But I dont really care about that, I just want to get rid of the chainness. But, if your way gets rid of chains and metal near the heads, Im all for hearing it.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Its not my design to disclose I'm afraid smile

AntiwormGOLD Member
15 posts

Posted:
So you say we should ditch fire poi with metal in them yet you can't tell us how to do that. Hmmn.... interesting.
i think i'll stick to getting burned by the metal cuz it's cool. Really cool.

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
I suppose you could use kevlar rope as your chain but I can't imagine it would last more than a season. Hyperloops might be tough with rope unless it's thin and then I would seriously worry about it's longevity.

I think metal is still the answer. If built properly, it will be the last place to fail on a poi set.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
mbbeer:

The thing with chain is you cant really tell if it was built properly. You never know if theres a weak ball in your chain or a messy weld in your links. Lots of things can happen to it including rusting, weakening at joints due to friction, weakening of the chain due to heat, etc. On top of that, chain just doesnt feel as good as other things can, namely kevlar rope. Its certainly a different feeling when you spin. Its closer to sock poi which is exactly what I want. And even Kevlar rope can last quite a while if its made with the right design and taken care of. Plus, its not really expensive to get ~3 feet of 1" rope for a set of leashes.

Chutney: Is this design planned for sale? If not, perhaps you could send me a PM with some info or at least the name of the designer so I could talk to them personally? Either way, its not a big deal as Im fine with using my current metallic method but Im always looking for fun new ways of doing things.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

herewegoSILVER Member
2 posts

Posted:
You could also use 1/16 cable leash inside of 5/16 kevlar rope.
But how would you attach the kevlar leash to the wick?

I wanna make my poi as light as possible.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Have a looksie here:

[Old link]

https://www.offline.org.uk/flids.php

for my answer to wicks that don't hurt too much when you catch them/do bareskin wraps

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
That's just what I was looking for, thanks flid!

It looks like a lot of work to build them, all those big holes through the cathedrals and threading the rope. Adapting that design to hybrid wicks would probably take less effort. (and a bit less kevlar)

Now, what's the best way to attach the chain to the rope... I don't want a knot there. I used a crimped piece of pipe on a pair of snakes I made but somehow that seems sketchy.

I also really like herewego's cable inside a rope idea but cable doesn't wrap too well. I bet I could fit my chains inside a 1/2" rope but I would have to lose the base quick link... Time to test out some new ideas, thanks for the input everyone.

herewegoSILVER Member
2 posts

Posted:
mtbeer:

I actually got the idea from this site - https://www.firewhip.com/poi.html

Its called wrapper poi.

I have a video of some glowstringers using the wrapper poi and to me it looks no different than glowstringing. Everything a glowstringer does only with fire.

You can download the video here https://s15.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0KYC5606N5LE0HSBL0C2RKOOT

Just go towards the 2 last people.

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
I'll have to borrow a pair of those from Riz and give 'em a whirl. He does say "These poi wear the leashes out before the wicking does." Which is something I would like to avoid.

That's some pretty intense wrappage going on in that vid. It doesn't look like they are using kevlar though. I'm guessing it's white gas on cotton wicks. All the stray embers flying off give it away.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Written by: herewego

I actually got the idea from this site - https://www.firewhip.com/poi.html

lol, like the way they say "This is an exclusive item designed by Fire By Riz.", yet in 2003 when I coined the idea mr rice said "This is an ingenious design. I like it" wink