marmaladeSILVER Member
journeyman
72 posts

Posted:
Hey gang!

Im so excited -- I spun fire last night for the first time, at a beautiful forest party just north of Toronto. I'd been thinking about giving it a try sometime this summer, and when a friend offered to spark hers up for me I couldnt resist.

What a rush! The sound, the heat, the smell -- just so amazing. Talk about taking your skills up a notch! Im still grinning from the experience smile

Just had to share this with people who I *knew* would understand smile

Kelly

EDITED_BY: marmalade (1118549408)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
kelly

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
thats wicked news, i remember my first burn at a rave. i asked a few people to be my watchers in case i caught fire and to stop any one getting too close. in the darkness it was pretty hard to get set up but then.... WOOF!!! they where alight and i was ready to spin. got a wicked responce and a nice group of spectators, as you say the noise is awesome and the buzz you get is unsurpassed ubbrollsmile

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
i still get that huge rush everytime I light up. People don't understand how much fun it is untill they spin with fire. I love it. bounce2 clap bounce

Never hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, go into your brain and that's where shitty idea's come from.

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
same here, of if only I wasnt such a mess last night lol... I kept wanting to go spark up but I ket getting distracted rofl

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
yes indeedy!!!!

its a major rush blazing up and drawing a crowd. ok so i'm one of the so called "untalented fire dancers" but what i do know i will tech others that want to learn.

keep the party spirit alive and be true to your selves ubbloco

marmaladeSILVER Member
journeyman
72 posts

Posted:
what i'm curious about now, is how long after your first burn did you get set up with your own fire poi? im not confidant enough to go out and spin fire on my own yet, so i guess it's prolly not the right time yet.

i figure if i can light up again a couple of times at the solstice festival i'm going to in a week (*whee!*), then maybe sometime this summer i'll get myself set up.

kelly

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
I say, just go for it. Everybody can tell you what to do, but it's all on you marmalade. Just remember, be safe and have fun!

Never hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, go into your brain and that's where shitty idea's come from.

Fidensnewbie
8 posts

Posted:
Hehe, my first burn was on a visit to the US just over a year ago. I didn't try anything tricky as I'm kind of attached to my eyebrows. Now my wife and I share our own fire poi and fire staff, which we got a month or so ago, though we're still just beginners. I'm definately avoiding lit poi at parties until I stop hitting myself on the forehead on a regular basis.

I can't understand why more people don't do it, as can be seen from your description marmalade - it's a very sensuous experience!

Bender: I read the script, and I think it would help my character's motivation if he was on fire.

IcerSILVER Member
just a shadow of my former self...
205 posts

Posted:
yea, that first burn is pretty cool, for me its the noise i think, it sounds so intense when u in the middle of it compared to when your watchin from a distance. it does sort of invade every sense, the sight, the sound, the feel, the smell (for bette for worse), defintly addictive too. as soon as one burn finishs, even tho im usually exausted i just want to light back up.

It took a while, but once their numbers dropped from 50 down to 8, the other dwarves started to suspect Hungry.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
I saw a tag on a jumper, i think it was billabong, that says 'only a surfer knows the feeling'. I think that can be said about a firespinner as well.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

marmaladeSILVER Member
journeyman
72 posts

Posted:
That's it exactly: looking out from behind the flames is like nothing I've ever experienced before. It was just so surreal! How long do your burns typically last for? I dont know how long the wicks are usually soaked for, but it seemed like it only lasted a few minutes. Mind you, it could just have been the time rushing past me wink

And I love that surfer saying, might have to snag that for my blog tagline devil

kelly

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I did my first burn 2 nights ago as well.

I did it on the roof of my house (Don't worry, it's about a 10m square and perfectly flat).

Amazing. The only comparable feeling is a first kiss, or first rollarcoaster/white water rafting. Except I was more confident with my fire than I ever was with my kiss, but that's beside the point...

Sound, feeling, flames, smell... talk about an ambience cocktail.

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
i had my first burn few weeks back at clapham its amazing - its even cooler when you do it in complete dark - which i did a few nights ago w/ a few close friends - its amazing because then all there is is you and the poi.

ive been getting more confident now. On my virgin burn all i was really doing was weave, butterfly and flowers but im doing buzzsaws now and thats an amazing rush smile

its is the best natural high possible, im an adict now biggrin

*wonders if he should contact FSA - fire spinners anonymous "hello im sam and im a fire addict"

so woot for firespinning smile

back

marmaladeSILVER Member
journeyman
72 posts

Posted:
you can do flowers!? thats my newest obsession. im still trying to figure out how to do them (i've seen the thread on them, just trying to work it out).

w00t indeed!

kelly