Forums > Social Discussion > what ever happened to "yoof culture"?

Login/Join to Participate

Hubert_CumberdaleSILVER Member
[psylocibin fingerbobe].
479 posts

Posted:
Whay back in medevil times as a growing lad, there used to be loads of youth movements

The world was roughly divided into:

Punks.
Mods.
Skinheads.
Casuals.
Hippies.
Goths.

They all had their distict fashion disasters and music.

Now we're all one big smushy misch-masch.

A homogeonised cultural blob of whateveritis I'm on about.

What's happened to us all?

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
well... Im a 16 yr old gippy (geek/hippy)

but we still have youth cultures... they wear fake burberry wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Yup, they all got old, bought houses, had kids and spawned chavs

Let's relight this forum ubblove

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I think you'll find that was the working class actually Dunc. wink

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
i guess its turnt into "homie wanna be" and the rest

Do we sleep when we die?

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
Those subcultures still exist, there just aren't enough young people around any more for any youth 'movement'. The babyboomers will always hold the power.

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
We still have the wannabe goths and wannabe hippies too.

In our anth. lectures we were taught that now it's just 2 groups that are easy to identify, 'mainstream' (chavs and homie wannabes, I guess) which gets its fashion rules from mass media and consumer culture, and 'underground' (ravers and goths and things maybe?) which also still get their rules from mass media and consumer culture, but do so slightly more selectively in order to define themselves as 'different' from the norm.

We were also taught this divide is a bit sexist, girls are much more likely to be 'mainstream' and boys 'underground' because boys apparently invest more into consumer culture so can afford to be picky (but girls are catching up). Also, mainstream fashions always latch on to and follow what's happening in the 'underground' scenes. e.g. the UK singles and album charts are considered by many to be largely cheesy mainstream, but these charts are not defined and determined by just one 'mainstream' group of people, but by everyone who buys music including on the underground scenes.

Man, I could waffle on about this stuff for ages! The big 'smushy misch-masch' MarkMark speaks of is what we scholars of anth. would call 'postmodernist culture'. Basically, we've all got fed up of trying to define which groups we belong to and instead we want to make a statement of individuality, by wearing clothes and listening to music that says we're members of several groups simultaneously, or no definable group at all.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
*sigh* yeah it may seem like the young'uns of today (geez don't i sound OLD! ubblol ) are an homogenous bunch...but they're not!! they are most certainly heterogenous!! biggrin

it's just that the mainstream sheep are the ones you see the most... tongue

when i was a bit younger (i'm old...but not THAT old) we had lots of groups too...

goths
punks (but not really sex pistol type punks)
hippies
geeks
skaters
surfers
sporty types
& people like me who didn't fit into any of those & didn't care

i've noticed that today's generation ("y" i think we're up to) seem to grow up (or want to) a lot sooner. ten year olds with mobile phones, 12 year old girls in high heels... rolleyes

i'm trying not to understand or judge them too much...it'd do my head in!! ubblol

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I will admit, I don't fit into a catagory... I change too much to fit into something... I find that telling people I am indi works best if they need a label, occasionly people will turn around and ask "what do you mean by indi???"
"Individual" I reply

Generally you still have your:
Goths
Punks
Skaters
Pretty Boys
"Girly-girls" aka, barbies, etc
hippies
geeks/nerds
we dont get the surfers as much, may be due to not living near a beach...
And there are the people who dont fit in due to changing too much, or just dont do labels.

Often these catagories do mix over, and groups will mix, but labels are still around..

actually, there we go.. these days they are more "labels" than movements, they are catagories you are shoved into, even if it is incorrect, not a group of people who all have the same style or whatever...

[psylocibin fingerbobe].
479 posts

Posted:
Interesting responses. Tea Fairy's postmodern soup is definitely the way it's going methinks.

Competition time: Can you identify the yoof-culture connected with each of these pictures (but bear in mind that at 33 + 1/3 rpm years old... even I'm too young to remember some of these):

Some are obvious.. a couple ambiguous, and maybe some trick ones too.

No cheating please.

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I know number 6! We learnt about him in lectures too, I'm pretty sure he's one of the 'New Man' group: created by the advertising industry to try and sell blokes perfume and jewelry, it's still masculine but also sensual.

The others made me ubblol. What group is Vicks Vaporub associated with though?

Idolized by Aurinoko

Bob Dylan

addict
449 posts

Posted:
Written by: The Tea Fairy

We still have the wannabe goths and wannabe hippies too.

In our anth. lectures we were taught that now it's just 2 groups that are easy to identify, 'mainstream' (chavs and homie wannabes, I guess) which gets its fashion rules from mass media and consumer culture, and 'underground' (ravers and goths and things maybe?) which also still get their rules from mass media and consumer culture, but do so slightly more selectively in order to define themselves as 'different' from the norm.

We were also taught this divide is a bit sexist, girls are much more likely to be 'mainstream' and boys 'underground' because boys apparently invest more into consumer culture so can afford to be picky (but girls are catching up). Also, mainstream fashions always latch on to and follow what's happening in the 'underground' scenes. e.g. the UK singles and album charts are considered by many to be largely cheesy mainstream, but these charts are not defined and determined by just one 'mainstream' group of people, but by everyone who buys music including on the underground scenes.

Man, I could waffle on about this stuff for ages! The big 'smushy misch-masch' MarkMark speaks of is what we scholars of anth. would call 'postmodernist culture'. Basically, we've all got fed up of trying to define which groups we belong to and instead we want to make a statement of individuality, by wearing clothes and listening to music that says we're members of several groups simultaneously, or no definable group at all.

Not everyone is a wannabe though. Some people truly do have different ideals and a different outlook on life, and there just happens to be a subculture that matches.

Why is it that subcultures only exist in youth? Surely there are subcultures for older people.... Not everyone grows up to have their spirit crushed, and live a boring, mundane, conventional life.

old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I know, I'm just talking stuff from lectures. hug

I am a hippy, in the most simple sense of the word, I know I see life differently from others (I'm very pacifist, like nature, smoke dope, don't really want a nine to five job would rather be an artist e.t.c.). But people don't always get the impression 'hippy' from what I wear or do any more, or the fact that I currently work in an office. I'm not a 'wannabe', I just plain am, it's me.

By wannabe I mean all about image and the way things look to others, not the concepts/ideals behind the image. You know, these people who'll wear flares, sandals and beards but don't care at all about peace and loving acceptance.

Your question about subcultures in grown-ups... the academic response is that as we get older, we have less time and money to invest into our 'subculture' and other things like careers and families become more important. Unless you happen to work in a youth-oriented industry. Another argument is that we do still keep our subculture, but what it means to us changes... e.g. I might have loved Nirvana and the grunge scene, when I am 30 I will still associate with it but it'll mean completely different things to me than when I was 15.

If you truely hold the ideals of a certain subculture, they will always be with you. I will always be a hippy at heart. But also, the subcultures themselves change over time.

Don't worry! I've never met anyone who, once i get to know them, I think of as having a boring, mundane or 'conventional' life. We all have our eccentricities, it's just horses for courses. smile

Idolized by Aurinoko

Bob Dylan

old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I have another question...

Why do people feel the need to dress, look and act a certain way at all, just to say something about the kind of person they are? Do I dress as a 'hippy' in the hope of some recognition from others? Or to attract other hippies? No, I just wear what's comfortable nowadays. I still know I'm connected to all other hippies because we share the same ideals, that's enough for me. If it looks funky, there's a bonus. smile

Idolized by Aurinoko

Bob Dylan

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
I just am. What i am varies, day to day, week to week. How i dress is normally limited by my wardrobe, but often consists of t-shirt and jeans. how i act... is me. A few weeks ago, i started learning break dancing, so i'm getting more into that subculture. It doesnt mean that i'll start walking around wearing 'dada' and 'eminem' clothes, but it does mean that i'll start talking more about that side of things. I've started thinking more about how i effect the world's ecosystem, but that doesnt mean that i've turned fully nature tuned. Who we are is who we are, and that's...who we are. People that think and act, and, usually consequently dress, similar define our subgroups.

A subgroup isn't defined by the trendsetters, or the pop group. they follow the biggest, most popular. It's the people that look at life, for what it is, and act, dress, feel the way that they do that make those subgroups. And it's those people that make those subgroups that make life what it is. Can you imagine if everything was left to the pop group (chavs)? The entire world would hhave a collective IQ of negative 50, and that'd only be so high because school is compulsory until the age of 15+

I dunno, maybe i'm being too harsh regarding pop culture, but i dont believe in it. I dress according to what i've got in my wardrobe, which is a combination of hand-me-downs and what's on sale. Even if i had a crapload of money, i still dont think i'd dress in the designer labels, they just arent me.

Hell, i'm still figuring me out.

Maybe that's just a drunken 19 year olds rant. maybe there's something profound in that. i don't know, but i hope it goves someone something to think about.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I don't know, I'm 17 at the mo, and I remember completely different things about school than what's going on now.

I mean, when I was in Primary, we didn't shout swearwords at random people in the street.

When we were 12, we didn't have girls smoking and drinking, and lads boasting about how many birds they've Sh*gged.

When we were 14, we didn't stab anyone.

When we were 15, we still had respect for Sixth Formers as the Elite of the school, now I get insulted when I walk down the corridor because I have long hair.

Like I said, I'm 17 and I don't identify with people even 3 yrs younger. I just look and think, "We weren't like that." How can an entire culture change in that short a time?

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
Harrr harrr harrrr
I know a bit about them

Nowadays we have:
Jocks
Barbies
Punks (Real)
Punks (teeny punks)
Geeks
Hippies
Skaters
Surfies
Goths ("real")
Goths (quantum, psuedo and coffin boppers)
Goths (follow on 150 subcultures of this - no really, its true)
HUMANS...
ehehehe

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

The FadeSILVER Member
fading happily....
212 posts

Posted:
the vicks is ravers!!!... oh nevermind.

i think as you get older you dont so much lose your subculture as you need it less and so you broaden. when youre 16-17 youre listening to metal. or to punk. or to DnB or hip hop or whatever. and that is ALL you listen to because you identify with it and it helps define who you are at a time when youre trying to figure out just that. who you are.

five years on yorue listening to a mix of all of them, some more than others but music is music and if it sounds good then it is good. you know who you are (or at least have a better idea) and dont need so much to fit into a category so you can say "I am ..." living life becomes more important than defining it. or maybe it just becomes more distracting.

also when youre young most people arent as comfortable and easy around strangers as they are when theyre older. fiting into a genre gives you a context for meeting people. one hippy is sitting alone at a party and sees another hippy alone and suddenly theyve got some similarity and there isnt such a barrier between them so its easier to just walk up and say hi. when youre older this doesnt matter so much. its easier to just say hi to anyone.

... just a few thoughts smile

We walk light
Down the wires
Higher than weather baloons
Empty hearts on fire...

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Sethis, I agree completely... I'm 16, so not much younger than you, and have seen many changes in the younger ones.
We even have 7 year olds in mini skirts and boob tubes... or in Dada clothes... PLEASE! we dont need to see that. Whatever happened to kids that age in normal trackies and a shirt??? what are parents thinking?

It's strange, people are saying what normal teens are like, and I agree completely... but I dont fit in... people call me Punk, but Im not... I dont fit into a label... and it makes it hard, because there isnt a group for me to fit into.
There isnt a group that I can walk upto and start chatting to... it's strange, and Im not sure if this is a good or a bad thing...

addict
449 posts

Posted:
Written by: The Tea Fairy

I have another question...

Why do people feel the need to dress, look and act a certain way at all, just to say something about the kind of person they are? Do I dress as a 'hippy' in the hope of some recognition from others? Or to attract other hippies? No, I just wear what's comfortable nowadays. I still know I'm connected to all other hippies because we share the same ideals, that's enough for me. If it looks funky, there's a bonus. smile

For one thing, it helps you people who you are. If you meet some random person, and you're dressed totally normally, it might take them a while to figure out that you're a hippy. It's not always that obvious unless you actually say 'I am a hippy'. So basically it helps bring people together that share the same ideals. Obviously this can happen without looking different, its just a lot harder and slower.

FacelessjokerBRONZE Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sethis

I don't know, I'm 17 at the mo, and I remember completely different things about school than what's going on now.

I mean, when I was in Primary, we didn't shout swearwords at random people in the street.

When we were 12, we didn't have girls smoking and drinking, and lads boasting about how many birds they've Sh*gged.

When we were 14, we didn't stab anyone.

When we were 15, we still had respect for Sixth Formers as the Elite of the school, now I get insulted when I walk down the corridor because I have long hair.

Like I said, I'm 17 and I don't identify with people even 3 yrs younger. I just look and think, "We weren't like that." How can an entire culture change in that short a time?

I agree. Im out of school now but one of my clearest and sadest memories it of when i was in yr 11 and the teachers were giving the 6th form their praise for having the most A grades in their GCSEs in so long yadder yadder. Then six months later our year was being compared to them because we were`nt as good.
I think it was at that point i starting thinking that everything was going down the drain youth wise. My year had alot more trouble makers that the year before. The same is true for the year after, there seem to be more and more trouble makers or maybe its just kids getting cocky with teachers and not doing what they`re told in general... ?

As for wannabes. I do think its alot harder for kids to be part of a sub - culture just because they are branded wannabes as soon as they start wearing black or dreading their hair etc etc. People seem to have a specific image of generation x and what it was, so anyone who takes on a certain image is branded a wannabe, because they are a copy and so not good enough.... unoriginal.

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
mark those are some hilarious pics you've got there!! ubblol

most of them i have no idea...*pout* there's a few i think i should know, but the red beverages i've consumed are making my brain even more fuzzy!! ubblol

i'm just gonna assume number 6 (the patchouli) is something with hippies?

the pogo is driving me nuts...i just can't think where it's from! unless it's the cage dancing thing you see in 70s movies...but i could be completely off track there & i probably am!!! ubblol

i think i should go now...

ubbloco

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
ok I'm gonna guess the pictures
1. pogoing is the prefered dance of a punk.... remember you have to spit as you leap as you turn your head sharply!
2. Barbershop quartet movement? Not one I remember but hey it takes all sorts ubblol
3. Rockers..... being a rocker basically meant you pulverized anyone that had a skinhead hair cut at the seaside or rode on a vespa with a target on the back of a parka.
4. Patchouli the prefered scent of the hippies of the 60's and 70's.... very over powering if you get trapped in a small space on a hot day with a full on patchouli wearer
5. The book that made thousands of disenchanted people want to just take off and travel.
6. This one I find a bit hard. It could be the skinhead crowd that had a love of 16 holed doc martin boots in cherry red or black worn with rolled up jeans braces and a white shirt or T-shirt or it could be (because he appears to have too much hair for a skinhead) a member of Red Wedge ...... they appeared in the 80's trying to over throw Thatchers rule by holding concerts and marches.
7. The ravers. Acieeeeeeeeeeeed! Bad dancing over use of the yellow smily face smile and whistles on strings..... oh and babies dummies/pacifiers.
8. Chavs....... I have nothing to say about chavs

How did I do?

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
In my little neck 'o the woods, we have the following catigories:

Jocks 25%
Preps 20%
theatre/band geeks 15%
ghetto kids 30%
'mall' goths 4%
punks 9%
indie kids 2%

I go to a rather small school, you see, otherwise I should hope there would be more catigories.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

but we still have youth cultures... they wear fake burberry wink

OH DEAR GOD!!! *runs after FRD waving a Burberry cricket bat*

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

[psylocibin fingerbobe].
479 posts

Posted:

Well done, Skullduggery.

pretty much 100%

1. The Punk dance craze, still seen every night at venues around Camden.

2 was a red herring (infact it was a red and white one) to see what people would come out with
...Although mods loved loud stripey looks in the 60s

3. The arch enemy of the 60s mod.

4. Spot on... Patchouli oil was also an essential accessory of the 80s Goths too

5. "On the Road" a book that defined a generation and was strongly associated with beatnik culture (a kind of forerunner to the hippy thing and the start of counter-culture in general). It was the Trainspotting of its day.

6. Skinhead would have done but you certainly know your [censored]! The picture is the singer from the Redskins, 80s anti thatch red-wedge band and part of the SHARP movement. Skinheads-against-racial-prejudice.

7. yup... vicks was essential rave paraphinalia, as were dummys, glostix, bottles of water, floppy-hats and any of the following phrases "safe", "sorted", "you're my best mate, you are" (to complete strangers)

8. Burberry hats, now giving way to the "hoodie" if the tabloid newspapers are to be believed.

Top marks biggrin