Page:
OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
Plans are starting to shape up for Burning Man... Fire Conclave groups are working on their routines, and theme camps are starting to plan their calendars... Figured it's about time to start the HOP thread!

Who's going? Who's NOT going?

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Whooooop! See you all real soon!

biggrin biggrin biggrin

monkeys ate my brain

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
Hey all:

This sounds like too much fun. really, it's too much.

** RING OF FIRE 2005 **

This is an invitation to all fire performers to contribute to a community art event at Burningman 2005.

The idea is simple. The preparation is minimal.

At 11pm on Friday evening all performers are invited to walk to a point along the esplanade of their choosing, light up, and show their stuff. If we get enough people we will create a beautiful "Ring of Fire" along the esplanade all the way from 2:00 to 10:00.

The signal to begin will be when the watch on your arm says 11:00pm. If you are like most people and don't wear a watch on the playa, look to 2:00 on the esplanade, and light up when those people do.

Everyone is welcome to contribute, whether it be with poi, staff, fans, flamethrowers, or just standing there holding a lighter in the air.

ALL PERFORMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR PROVIDING THEIR OWN SAFETIES AND FOLLOWING STANDARD SAFETY PROCEDURES (if you don't know what those are, then you shouldn't be playing with fire). PLEASE PERFORM ON THE OPEN DESERT SIDE OF THE ESPLANADE AND DO NOT IMPEDE ESPLANADE TRAFFIC. MAINTAIN A SAFE DISTANCE FROM EXISTING ART INSTALLATIONS AT ALL TIMES.

Play safe. Play beautiful.

Please forward this idea to any fire performers you think might be interested in contributing.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
and btw, my camp, the fallen, will most likely be between 3:30 and 4:00 and Catharsis or Delirium. look for the sign, look for the big silver fish (though the fish will be out and about most of the time). come make a mask, it'll be a nice afternoon activity.

burn bright beautiful people & see y'all real soon.
devil

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
I'll definitely do the ring o' fire. That should be a sight to see.

Your camp is only a block or two away blueboy and I'm itching to make a mask with horns.

Can't wait to meet everyone, see you in a week or so.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
If you happen to be in or passing through Reno next Wednesday the 24th stop by for our last Wednesday night gathering before Burning man. There are usually lots of people that night because our fire group gathering is like a little weekly Burner gathering and everyone is excited to hit the playa. Contact me for details or directions. OPEN BURN

So who are the burning man virgins? I'm half tempted to bump my video to the front of the line so the virgins can get a taste of some of the fire spinning you'll see at burningman. smile Scarry stuff. eek wink

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
It will be my first time, but Ive already seen your video so no need to bump it for me smile

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
yay!!!

2 more sleeps before i head out to frisco !!! bounce

i'm sooooo bloody excited i'm wiggling about in the chair in the internet cafe....

can't wait to meet you guys, and yeah, the ring of fire sounds wicked!! devil

see ye all real soon

Lisa peace

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Icon, after seeing Skunk's new poi I had to upgrade too. This afternoon I'm making a new set with 10' of wick each. The catch is that the wick is 4" kevlar, not 2". I think they will isolate me, not the other way around. wink I'll post pics. smile

Burning man always gets the creative juces flowing.

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
** big long list deleted **

See this page for the latest:

https://www.wackyfunstuff.com/BM05Fire.htm

EDITED_BY: Orbit (1125002123)

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Thanks Orbit, I'll be printing out that list to carry with me. I'm looking forward to meeting you out there, your waist wrap vid taught me a lot about poi.

Cody, those wicks are crazy! Can't wait to see them spin. I'm betting you will lose your eyebrows with those.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
I will in fact do everything i can to participate in the J. steele fire show so deon't even bother trying to win biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin ubbangel

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
and orbit i think rather than try to find or buy a watch to try to keep up with all this, i'm just going to duct tape you to my arse. hug

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Can someone take video footage of Arashi in the Jennifer Steele fire show... I'll pay money biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

greyedgeSILVER Member
38 posts

Posted:
I'm definitely going to Burning Man this year. I'm going to be at Camp Burning Cloud (8:45 and Fetish).

Since this is going to be my first burn, I will be at all of the virgin festivities at the Pink Flamingo Lounge, The Black Rock Boutique, and Spike's Vampire Bar.

Also, I highly recommend checking out the Purple Turtle Catnip Lounge (7:30 and Fetish inside Shangri-La Village) and FU-BAR & Camp Evil (Same location).

And, definitely, a must-see place is the Church of Silk (7:15 and Catharsis inside A.S.S. Camp).

"I always knew I was a pyro..."

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Dont be greedy Arashi, there are a bunch of different categories to win in. Save some for the rest of us smile

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
I made a few changes to the list of events... Your best bet is to print the latest version from:

https://www.wackyfunstuff.com/BM05Fire.htm

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Well, everyone... My plane leaves in a few hours. I am off. See ya all on the playa.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

robertsBRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
im off, safe travels and ill see you all there.

if anyone orders Merlot, i'm leaving.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm off in the morning.

See you all on Thursday, noon, at center camp.

:hugs:

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
WoW! I had an amazing time at Burning Man this year. Wed night at Hookahdome was some of the best fire spinning I've ever seen (and yes, I've seen many of the UK spinners)... and spending time with Icon, Lightning, and the rest of the spinners was tremendous. The show before the man burned was a lot of fun, too. I wore two arm bands in memory of spinners -- one for Nasu (do a search here on HOP), and one for Sammy from Controlled Burn.

My thoughts are with Cody, Howoward, and the rest of the Controlled Burn crew. Not only for the sad news wrt Sammy, but also the happy news for Howoward and Chelsea.
https://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/09/02/BAburncouple02.DTL

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
Yay! There's video of me spinning in front of my camp near the end of this video:

https://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2005/09/03/BAburnmanfrivideo.DTL&o=0

ahhmaymember
42 posts

Posted:
i missed it this year after four pleasurable BM experiences. did anyone see the fire show at el circo dome on friday night? should have been around 2:30 and playa...looking forward to hear more stories bout your burn.
smile

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
El Circo show Friday night was incredible. They were at 10 o'clock, 1 camp from the corner. The spinning was not technical at all, but they sure have a whole lotta attitude! The second half of the show was a fun burlesque number that fit surprisingly well with the fire show.

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
I Just got back myself but my mind is still out there. There was so much incredible spinning in such a short period of time that my brain had a meltdown.

I'm glad I got to meet most of the HoPers along with tons of other great spinners. Big thanks go out to ICoN for the insane technical displays, Orbit for holding down the fort at Hookahdome, Blueboy for the gorgeous duo performance and Lightning for showing me the same time 4bt TTN that is still kicking my ass. 2005 will be a burn I never forget.

I didn't get a chance to meet Cody, burning dan and arashi but I'm pretty sure I saw you out there. I guess there is always next year.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Written by: Orbit

...was some of the best fire spinning I've ever seen (and yes, I've seen many of the UK spinners)...

Can we start a whole new thread about this, and how hop changes your worldview, the nationalistic consequences, and then link it in to the juggling or manipulation or dance thread? That would rock.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
well, what can i say....

what a party!!! biggrin

it's gotta be the world's ultimate party, right?

sorry i didn't get to meet any of you (except mo-seph, who i already knew smile) but believe it or not i actually turned up for the hop meet up at the wrong spot ubblol i believe center camp facing the man at 12 noon on thursday was the location? well clever-ass here was at the man facing center camp ubblol

oh well, never mind, i still had a ball!

only 1 minor mishap... on the saturday nite, about half an hour or so before the man burnt, i lost my camera frown i'm sure i lost it on the playa, somewhere along 3 o'clock between the esplanade and the man whilst walking up to watch the man burn. it was a brand new Sony Cyber-Shot P-200 7.2 megapixels, and it also contained a brand new 1 gig memory stick, lots of shots of me in a huge pink furry hat, and was in a blue Fuji wallet/case.

so if anyone knows of anyone who knows of anyone who found it... i'd soooo love to have my photos back and i'll offer a reward. the people at lost & found at centre camp told me to go to the burning man website, but it doesn't appear to have been updated since the event, and i can't for the life of me find a lost & found section. so if there are any burners out there who can offer advice on where else i could post (i've already posted on craigslist.org) it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks guys hug

Lisa xx peace

Hana4BRONZE Member
burner
90 posts

Posted:
Bummer about the camera frown

If you go to the Burning Man home page and type "lost" in the Search box on the top right you will get a list of links. The first link will take you to the lost and found 2005 section of the web site.

The direct link is:
https://www.burningman.com/blackrockcity_yearround/05_lostandfound.html

Good luck finding it ubbrollsmile

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
wahey!!!!!

i've just been contacted via the BM site by a beautiful soul from L.A. who found my camera on the night of the burn and is returning it to me as we speak bounce

i had a feeling it might make it's way back to me, but didn't dare to hope too much. i must have scored 'karma points' or something, with the amount of mobile phones i've manged to re-unite with their owners this year ubbrollsmile

wow, i'm just ecstaticbounce bounce2 bounce

thank you BM and every burner who made my week at BRC one of the most memorable of my entire life grouphug

Lisa peace

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
smile

Woohoo for the returned camera biggrin

Looking forward to seeing the pics hug

Getting to the other side smile

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah, forgot to drop in here and say what a great time I had at BM!

I didn't spin as much as I thought, partly cos of getting much more into dancing, and partly cos sticks are big and heavy, but it was lovely to meet some of the hoppers, and the 'merkin spinners.

The temple burn was amazing. Totally transfixed by the dust devils getting up and walking out of the fire...

Yay!

devil devil devil

monkeys ate my brain

Page: