Forums > Social Chat > What sort of music would a band called 'Indra's Net' play?

Login/Join to Participate

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Thanks for your help, just trying to work out if it's a good name for our band or not. Is the name any good? I just want to see what you guys think.

I'll let you know what sort of band we are after some replies wink

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
it's a good name biggrin and it's a very very Indie name. But could be more Indie-rock ubblol

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Thanks biggrin We thought of using it when we first started playing together about 6 years ago, and we're trying to rename ourselves because our current name, Deluded Swinger, seems a little immature..

Even if the Swinger only came from us sitting on the swings when we were thinking of names.. smile

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Just thought people might be interested to know what Indra's Net is.. so here's a good explanation from someone else wink :

Written by: Indra's Net: What Is It?

FAR AWAY IN THE HEAVENLY ABODE OF THE GREAT GOD INDRA, THERE IS A WONDERFUL NET WHICH HAS BEEN HUNG BY SOME CUNNING ARTIFICER IN SUCH A MANNER THAT IT STRETCHES OUT INDEFINITELY IN ALL DIRECTIONS. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE EXTRAVAGANT TASTES OF DEITIES, THE ARTIFICER HAS HUNG A SINGLE GLITTERING JEWEL AT THE NET'S EVERY NODE, AND SINCE THE NET ITSELF IS INFINITE IN DIMENSION, THE JEWELS ARE INFINITE IN NUMBER. THERE HANG THE JEWELS, GLITTERING LIKE STARS OF THE FIRST MAGNITUDE, A WONDERFUL SIGHT TO BEHOLD. IF WE NOW ARBITRARILY SELECT ONE OF THESE JEWELS FOR INSPECTION AND LOOK CLOSELY AT IT, WE WILL DISCOVER THAT IN ITS POLISHED SURFACE THERE ARE REFLECTED ALL THE OTHER JEWELS IN THE NET, INFINITE IN NUMBER. NOT ONLY THAT, BUT EACH OF THE JEWELS REFLECTED IN THIS ONE JEWEL IS ALSO REFLECTING ALL THE OTHER JEWELS, SO THAT THE PROCESS OF REFLECTION IS INFINITE

THE AVATAMSAKA SUTRA
FRANCIS H. COOK: HUA-YEN BUDDHISM : THE JEWEL NET OF INDRA 1977
------------------------
There are several aspects of Indra's Net, as described in the above quote, that signify it as a crystal clear allegory of reality:

1. The Holographic Nature of the Universe

Long before the existence of the hologram, the jeweled net is an excellent description of the special characteristic of holograms: that every point of the hologram contains information regarding all other points. This reflective nature of the jewels is an obvious reference to this.

This kind of analogy has been suggested by science as a theory for an essential characteristic of the cosmos, as well as as the functioning of the human brain, as beautifully described in The Holograpic Universe by Michael Talbot.

2. The Interconnectedness of All Thingss

When any jewel in the net is touched, all other jewels in the node are affected. This speaks to the hidden interconnectedness and interdependency of everything and everyone in the universe, and has an indirect reference to the concept of "Dependent Origination" in Buddhism. Additionally, Indra's Net is a definitive ancient correlate of Bell's Theorum, or the theory of non-local causes.

3. Lack of a substantive self

Each node, representing an individual, simply reflects the qualities of all other nodes, inferring the notion of 'not-self' or a lack of a solid and real inherent self, as seen in the Advaita Vedanta school of Hinduism and Buddhism in general.

4. Non-locality

Indra's Net shoots holes in the assumption or imputation of a solid and fixed universe 'out there'. The capacity of one jewel to reflect the light of another jewel from the other edge of infinity is something that is difficult for the linear mind, rational mind to comprehend. The fact that all nodes are simply reflections indicates that there is no particular single source point from where it all arises.

5. Innate Wisdom

The ability to reflect the entirety of all light in the universe attests to the inherent transcendant wisdom that is at the core of all nodes, representing all sentient beings, and to the inherent Buddha Nature.

6. Illusion or Maya

The fact that all nodes are simply a reflection of all others implies the illusory nature of all appearances. Appearances are thus not reality but a reflection of reality.

7. Universal Creativity

A familiar concept in various high dharmas is one of an impersonal creative intelligence that springs forth into reality through the instruments of all living beings.

8. The Mirror-like Nature of Mind

The capacity to reflect all things attests to the mind being a mirror of reality, not its basis. This is a common thesis among various schools and religions.

And Indra's Net has been used as a defining metaphor for the Internet.

Thoreau

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Good name, and as the votes will tell you, indie x10^57.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Well I have to say I'm pretty please with the results so far biggrin I've always described our sound as kind of... indie-punk, but as we've had a 2-year break, we're coming back together with some very upbeat, but definitley "indie" stuff.. so Indra's Net sounds good so far smile

Now I just have to check it with the other 3... wink

Thoreau

mycoBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,084 posts

Posted:
you know the band kula shaker? that was who came to mind when i read the name. i like them, so that's a complement. the names very cool. smile

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
He he, Kula Shaker were our favourite band when we were growing up so it may have some kind of subconscious link to them wink Thanks for the comments biggrin

Thoreau

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I knew what Indra's net was from my old hippie days. I would have said 'progressive' as in music with unusual instrumentation, probably a lot of acoustic instruments, bells, light things. And with interesting polyrhythms and more concern for the interconnection of developing elements. Certainly not 'verse chorus verse' 4/4 guitar based music... But you said 'progressive/boring", so I guess that's not how you describe yourself!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Sorry, no offence intended to prog, I'm just trying to make this poll accessible to those who aren't necessarily into guitar music.. an awful lot of people here seem to be more into psytrance than Camel wink

Thoreau

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
augh psytrance. eek
I went to a psytrance festival this year. It was like listening to someone else's headache.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Thoreau

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Camel!! Migod, they haven;t been around for years have they!! A friend of mine used to manage them like in the 70s!!

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
No way! Great band biggrin The guitarist from Valhalla (who you may or may not know) produced my Band's first EP.. that's my biggest prog connection. And I've stayed in the lighthouse the bassist from Rainbow (I think) runs as a B&B these days.

Thoreau