Forums > Videos > wil's 3rd glowstring / poi / freehand video

Login/Join to Participate

wilnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
https://www2.uic.edu/~wshih1/glowstring%20wil%205.02.05.zip

comments welcome smile

there is a mix of glowstringing and poi and freehand involved.

EDITED_BY: wil (1115104367)

wilnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
no one is even going to bother and watch my vid?.. or comment?... how dissapointing.

PhaerieBRONZE Member
veteran
1,240 posts

Posted:
i was d/l it (which is really slow because i have dail up *growls* and then i got cut off with only 1 minute remaining *sobs* i tried... so now i will try again :P

Only when you close your eyes can you really see...

PhaerieBRONZE Member
veteran
1,240 posts

Posted:
i quite enjoyed smile
liked the btb stuph, you have given me some inspiration on different things. thank you!

Only when you close your eyes can you really see...

wilnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
biggrin yay someone commented. glad you enjoyed it.

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
I really enjoyed it. There were certain segments where the timing of the combinations were really great -- different speeds, interesting visuals... I did at one point wonder what this would look like on a dance floor where the audince is all around you, but then that's not what this video's about. Gonna have to watch it again!

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Wil, nice job. I like how the illusionary freehand moves were integrated in with the spinning better than in other vids I've seen.

As always, I'm jealous of people who can do more than normal BTB weave due to my lack of flexibility.. wink

Gotta run, but I'll write more later.
Shawn

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
Wil. People on HoP aren't as quick to post as they are on gsc. Give it time and it'll get alot more posts.

Just so you know I'm Cleric on GS.c.
I'm writing my review here because i'm afraid of looking like a jerk off when i don't mean to be and getting attacked by everyone for my review.

Basically I half liked the video.

The poi was awesome. You can do alot of stuff that i can't do and there is alot of respect to you for being able to do it.
You didn't move much. When you were doing the thumb split stuff you look like you were cemented to the floor. The only time you really moved was as soon as you went into freehand. Why is that? I'd say if you moved more with the actual poi the transition would be even smooth cause you wouldn't notice that all of a sudden the body is moving as oppose to locked in 1 spot.
Personally i don't like it when stringers wind up both sticks and start freehanding. 1 because it's usually not uber impressive freehand and 2 because it break the focus. I like it when it's used in short bursts just to set up a mind game or string manipulation. The freehand itself was eh... you didn't seem totally comfortable with it yet. This is coming from a guy who is spoiled by hanging out with Rai and Jin all the time though.

The thumbsplitting stuff was cool but in the same breath i was terribly bored. I did the whole "check how much is left thing" once or twice. You better believe i'm going to "attempt" to figure some of it out. But only cause i know i won't be able to , and maybe i'll find something new from it.

MY REAL GRIPE WITH THE VIDEO is that you didn't seem into it. I dunno. I didn't get any energy off of you. Like you weren't having fun. Probly because you have to pay attention to the strings so much during the thumbsplits. But that kills it for me. Like i wanna be able to feel a vibe of energy from the video and be like OH YEAH I"M EXCITED I WANNA PRACTICE NOW.

damn you getting those string tuts smoother than i did. I came up with that stuff so long ago. I knew i shoulda spent some time with that. Good work, i really liked that.

From what others tell me your last vid was better overall . I don't think i've ever seen it so i can't agree or disagree with that. The thumbsplits while amazing to look at...for whatever reason bored me (probly cause of that whole you didn't seem excited thing). But the poi was [censored] great. I can't knock that. You should pick up some fire one day. You'd rock with it.

(i really didn't mean to be a dick in the review so i'm sorry if i came off as one at any point)

We are defined by the choices we make

wilnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
haha... i guess that's how it SEEMED, but i think this video i had the most fun making. out of all the recording i've ever done. this was my best and most fun. so i guess i just don't pronounce my emotions thru my stringing, but i think my moves speak loud enough.

as for moving while doing a mind game... the purpose is to look at the mindgame... i appreciate the critique but you know i'm not an advocate of moving while stringing. and the only time it mattered to move was when i freehand which is what i did.

i don't know, i think this is my best video and it's really unique. i integrated all three poi glowstring and freehand pretty clean so i think i am satisfied with what i have. smile

my video will not impress everyone that sees it and thus will not make them want to practice, but if at least 1 person sees the vid and is moved by it to go and practice, then i've done enough.

everyone is entitled to their own opinion... but it doesn't mean i agree smile so it's ok, i don't think you're a dick but i don't think you're right. thanks for the critque.

Cynicdave1member
36 posts

Posted:
it's definately not true that people aren't as quick as on GS.C to post their comments. The other videos have tons of comments in a way thats much quicker than Wil.

I guess it's having to do with "values". Wil's video isn't strictly a stringing video, and the people watching it are going to have the outlook of the people who are on the site. and i bet the glowsticking.com label probably turns a lot of people off.

Cleric, from the looks of it, it seems like you enjoy Wil's last video more than this one, and that's up to you, but I dunno, but I think this video is tons more refined from my point of view. Maybe it's because I don't know much about stringing compared to freehand and popping and other funk style dancing.

But I have to say I'm pretty surprised you think the last video is "better", I thought because of your recent 3 stick video of stringing which I really liked you'd see some similarities with Wil's video, but I guess it was a mistaken assumption on my part to think that way.

Regardless, I don't think it's a surprise people don't have much to say about this video compared to Wil's last video on this forum. i mean, a breakdancing video on glowsticking.com will probably not receive a lot of comments because people are probably not as aware of what good breakdancing looks like.

Regardless, I'm sure after I write this, a lot of people will have their opinions and judgements on the video and I look forward to reading them because the opinion of HOP matters to me.

To be honest, I think WIl's freehand is top notch and given the limitations of having a string there, I think he did a fabulous job that NOBODY can match yet. I think his freehand video he released a year ago speaks enough about his freehand skill.

One thing I agree with you is the standing in place issue (which I mentioned as well in the previous video). But that's a small caveat of a ton of good that far out weighs the rest in my opinion. I bet if you give Wil a month or two he'll totally come up with new ways. This video is a proof of concept video in my opinion that highlights what glowstringing is, and I think that's why a lot of people including you have your own built in ideas about reviewing this video in a certain way, but I certainly don't make a value judgement in thinking you shouldn't or can't. Since it's HOP we're on, i think your criteria for the review is completely valid. It *is* different when it comes to GS.C, me thinks.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I don't think its an issue of the 'type' at all.. but since your not a frequenter here dave, I don't take offense..

I think his flow is very much improved from his last video, but I think he's also lost a bit of his technique, and thus his style.. he's moving in a new direction, but since he's pressing another direction, its going to take some time to refine it into a flow that will bring back some his style.. its all in presentation.. and I think this one lacked the presentation he had in each of his miniclips that got pasted together in his last vid...

I've never seen wil as much of a mover, so I can't say that his lack of movement is something I looked down upojn.. sure I would have liked to see more movement, but a lot of what he was doing isnt refined enough to allow the movement that he would need to pull off the flow without sacrificing effect.. the latter being an important part of this new direction..

I'm interested in seeing how he develops it, and if it makes him into a mover.. wink

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
As far as response times go, I've learned from various boards that there is no real realiable way to judge things. Keep in mind that a lot of people on this site are on UK time, it is the middle of the week, etc. When I posted my two tutorial vids, I got three quick responses but then it was another two days before anyone else commented. There's already 100 views on this thread in half a day, so there's definitely interest. I also find there tends to be much more comments for gathering-related videos rather than a pure technical one, which makes sense since all the people that attended will talk about it versus lurking on something they feel less qualified to comment on...

But back on topic.. I enjoyed the video. Lots of variety mixed together which helps to break things up things visually. While it is good to specialize sometimes, I also like to see videos that don't look the same the whole way through, so this is cool.

Some spots were a little rough, but that's what experimentation was all about. Some of my first exposure to the glowstringing was the first Tekno Turtles vid and that was rough beyond belief, but you could see tons of potential. Wil's performance is much more refined and flowing and shows its own potential in other directions.

Keep spinning.. smile
Shawn

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Or,,maybe some of us only wander over to this section sporadically.

I only kinda liked it too, but then I don't really know what I'm looking at when it comes to technique. I liked the poi aspect, it made the whole performance seem that much larger, as opposed to the freehand component, which was tiny by comparison.

I'm not a big fan of the lighted objects spun on a black background format, I prefer to actually see the spinner so whatever was going on with the freehand obviously requires a trained eye to appreciate it.

I found the Gsc logo to be somewhat of a distraction, given the relative brightness to the glowsticks, maybe it could be toned down for these darker videos. I don't find the logo a distraction on Farewell to Chicago.

My ( glowstringing newbie ) two cents worth.

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
try turning the brightness level on your monitor up. it's impossible to accomodate everybody's different monitors, but it looks fine on mine. i can definately see will's whole body (not just outline) when i play this video. the background is also not just black, more of a gray if i remembered correctly. i can also see some furnitures i think.
EDITED_BY: mixinluv2u (1115233527)

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
also.. this one has like 160+ hits and what like 13 or so posts.. vs some of the others that have 450+hits and like 13 posts..

some people are finicky.. a lot of people dont have anything to say (especailly given that they aren't able to notice a lot of the various techniques involved in some of the stuff.. ) think about the clips that have juggling.. and other extracurricular activities that aren't one of the -main- foci here.. I wouldnt fret over interest.. more people will pop in sporadically.. you might get 0 posts for like two months and then someone will happen by that doesnt check often and it'll start a 40 post boom..

Hop is very unpredictable, unlike some other sites..

I'd also like to say that the lighting was fine on my monitor, so it might be your settings or something.. wait did I just agree with wes wink clap

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I tried adjusting the settings on my monitor,,,no luck I'm afraid, it's still too dark . I see this quite often with fire videos too. maybe it's time for some new hardware.

I got Ravergirl"s video too, and that has an excellent freehand component to it, which is what I was looking for in the first place. I seem to be the only person in this city who actually spins glowsticks on strings, as opposed to quite a few I know who spin glowsticks attached to practice poi. Nobody I've talked too has even heard of freehand so I was in the market for something I could possibly use as a tutorial.

No worries though, as most of the poi techniques I've picked up over the past couple of years, I've swiped from videos ,,so I'll watch Ravergirl a hundred times and come back to Wil's a little later on.

Cheers...David

RavergirlSILVER Member
15 posts

Posted:
No worries Wil, you heard my WOW ideas on it from gs.c. You really are stretching the limits of glowstinging. You are one of those people pushing the limit. That's probably WHY I love this video so much. Its so differnt, so new, so fresh.

So many things I want to learn!

So what if you don't move. That's YOUR personal stlye. But I like to think of it this way. If I attempt your moves, it makes it easier to look different for me simply cause I move. The antispin flower... still one of my favorite poi moves.... but you, you put it into a Crossover?! Brilliant!

I got quite a few ideas from this video, as well as some of the ones Kael as sent me.

I'm getting better at ISOLATIONS!
I'm getting transition ideas!

I'm creating a style that is more "me" in poi!

Alas, I can't wait... I gotta get some sock poi for my next video though. I have the best shot ideas, but glowstings wouldn't work as well.

Still one of my favorite videos Wil.

-RG

"Don't frown, you'll never know who is falling in love with your smile"