Forums > Technical Discussion > A few things that really bug me… (RANT RANT RANT)

Login/Join to Participate

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:

Most of the time I just keep quiet and brush them off as bad experiences etc. but I think that here would be a good place to share and get opinions!

I’ve met and danced with a fair amount of people, some of them have been really really good, but I am yet to meet ANYONE who is truly professional! I am by far not the best spinner there is, but at least I try and keep a performance professional!

Staff Spinners
What is it with most staff spinners… they never watch where they are going or what they are doing, a general (well I thought it was general) guideline is to make sure that there is a constant clear area around you the full length of your staff extended from your arm at all times… generally if you let go it will land within that area, and if it’s clear there’s no chance of knocking some poor person over the head.

Fire Breathers
Where does your spray actually go guys (and Gals)? Do you take into account that people nearby might not actually want to have your stinky fuel all over them? On numerous occasions I’ve had some fire breathers spray in my face. I don’t like it, what about your audience… How bout: 1. Checking wind direction (and if it’s a strong wind… DON’T blow); 2. Positioning yourself in such a place that the residue and spray does not land on anyone!

Other People’s Equipement
Okay now we all look after our own equipment don’t we? Well we assume this… I’ve learnt the hard way (STUPID STUPID STUPID!) on the odd occasion that someone has let me use their equip for some or other reason I’ve had an incident where badly maintained and /or designed equipment has been more of a injury hazard than a piece of equipment… so I will NEVER use anyone else’s stuff again, if I don’t have my equip… I don’t play! I also had a nasty experience with fire breathing, where I picked up someone else’s fuel bottle (“professional” performers) took a swig to blow and nearly had a heart attack, I recognised the stench immediately! PAINT THINNERS! I’m close to the point of not wanting to meet and/or perform with others!

Your Own Equipment
We all know the phrase… if you want something done properly, do it yourself! Well the same for your own equipment… I know why my equipment lasts, and why it remains in good condition… because I look after it, not Joe soap or my mother! I do not lend out my equipment anymore, sorry ppl, but if you left your stuff at home or whatever, don’t come to me! The times I have let ppl use it… the straps get full of fuel, they are just put down wherever and left, they don’t get a final soak, I could go on forever! The only person who is actually going to look after your equipment is you! Don’t let other people screw it up! Equipment is expensive!

Spin-offs
Finally… I thought that the concept of spinning the excess fuel from wick was fundamental! I am yet to meet anyone who spin’s off their wick before lighting up… EVERY time I spin with people (other than those from my group) I get spray from someone else’s poi or staff or whatever! Again, I’m a performer and I don’t like it… what about your audience?

*sigh*

It may seem petty… but if you think about it… it’s very easy to give an entire group of people a bad name… that’s what get’s me… all it takes is ONE person to do something stupid, to really stuff up, and all of us get a bad rep! It just takes a little logic and thought!

What do you Guys ‘n Gals think?

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Most staff spinners?

ubblol

I have to say the rest has been discussed before and at length at that.

What is it with most newbies. They never bother to do a search wink

a

Love is the law.

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
Written by: ado-p

Most staff spinners?

all the staff spinners i've met... except 1!

I have to say the rest has been discussed before and at length at that.

What is it with most newbies. They never bother to do a search wink

a

wink I have read through many, many threads, not all threads, but most! I have not seen any of this discussed. :P so WA

ubblol

Soz... i really did not think to do a search.

!MY BAD!

but then if you had PM'ed me instead of posting a reply i could have deleted the thread and gone looking!

Regards hug

Shu

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: Shu

that you *really* needed to rant about this.

don't come across most of those problems where i play shrug

but i have heard people mention each and every one of them before, so you're not alone wink

edit: i got one! people that light up, play for a bit and then wander back over towards the fuel area/dipping pots with lighted wicks, just so thay can have a quick chat with their mates.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
[Old link] tongue

And why would I pm you helpfull advice that other people might find usefull smile

Love is the law.

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:

And why would I pm you helpfull advice that other people might find usefull smile

i spose... but i could have still found relevant threads and posted there

thanx for the link!

Regards hug

Shu

Yes, i do bite!!

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
now you just want the last word smile

wink

hug

The only advice i can give you is that if things are really as bad as all that then you migh want to reconsider the people you spin with. I spin alot, as do nearly all my friends and i know professionals and hobbiests alike. I've never had as much trouble as yourself but i've seen examples of everything you said.

our approach is simple, if someone is being unsafe its pointed out to them.... try nominating a safety person maybe?

Love is the law.

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
lolz

i have very few friends who spin (tht's changing atm)... most of then just watch, altho they're slowly starting up!
biggrin

These are instances at festivals or other places tht i'm refering to...

Ice-E FyreStorm keep things clean and tidy! We make sure that everything has been accounted for, that there are saftey measures in place, and there is always sumone on saftey watch!

We know each others equipement, and make sure it's all kept together, and make sure that our stuff is kept away from any other dancer's (who we do not know) equipement.

You could almost say that we're a little Zennophobic in that respect.
ubblol

Regards hug

Shu

Yes, i do bite!!

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
SO when you see people do these things wrong... do you ever say to them or offer advice... or do u shrug and walk away thinking "well they are gona get in trouble one day"???

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
sometimes it doesn't help...

the attitude is... "who the * do u think u are"

so i back away and leave it... confrontation at the kind of places it happens is unprofessional too...

i will always try... but ppl seldom listen!

Regards hug

Shu

Yes, i do bite!!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
what really annoys me is that poi spinners don't understand that you need loads of space around when spinning a staff, especially doubles. They come up and spin beside you and then you have to stop spinning and find some more space, inconsiderate... yeah.

I really like the look of horror on people when I explain how fun it is to dip lighted toys in paraffin. Even in plastic containers, the paraffin briefly lights then goes out again. It's great fun.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:

Your points are valid, I think most of us have experienced some of them.

I thought that-

Staff Spinners
What is it with most staff spinners… a general (well I thought it was general) guideline is to make sure that there is a constant clear area around you the full length of your staff extended from your arm at all times…

and-

Written by: mcp

what really annoys me is that poi spinners don't understand that you need loads of space around when spinning a staff, especially doubles. They come up and spin beside you and then you have to stop spinning and find some more space, inconsiderate... yeah.

gives a bit of food for thought; personally I don't do fire staff, so I can't comment.

I guess ultimately, as a professional, or indeed as a sensible amatuer; you have to focus on looking after yourself, and take into account the fact that it's very dark, and many of the spinners around may not be that experienced and sensible.

Which leads to this: -

…I also had a nasty experience with fire breathing, where I picked up someone else’s fuel bottle (“professional” performers) took a swig to blow and nearly had a heart attack, I recognised the stench immediately! PAINT THINNERS!

Why would you use someone elses fuel? Especially for fire breathing- it could have been anything.

Any idiot could turn up at a fire meet with god knows what type of fuel (including petrol)- the fact that you took a glug of paint thinners is entirely down to you. You cannot make assumptions about what other people bring along.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:

I appreciate what you're saying here, it works both ways! I get frustrated by that sometimes too... where another spinner spins right on top of you! Fine if there's limited space, work with it, and the other toy spinners! When there's lots of space... USE it!

I really like the look of horror on people when I explain how fun it is to dip lighted toys in paraffin. Even in plastic containers, the paraffin briefly lights then goes out again. It's great fun.

The great thing about parafine's flashpoint... be carefull tho, as the parafine warms up from continuous re-fueling, it becomes more volatile! (more vapour!)

Written by: onewheeldave

Why would you use someone elses fuel? Especially for fire breathing- it could have been anything.

If u quote the rest of that thought... I was really stupid in tht situation! basically i was saying exactly what you are saying!

Written by: onewheeldave

I guess ultimately, as a professional, or indeed as a sensible amatuer; you have to focus on looking after yourself, and take into account the fact that it's very dark, and many of the spinners around may not be that experienced and sensible.

You have a very good point there... With Ice-E FyreStorm, we have started setting up some strict guidelines and general rules and doubled up on our saftey equipement.

With the other spinners out there who don't take logic into account... the best we can do is exactly this... focus on looking after ourselves

Regards hug

Shu

Yes, i do bite!!