gemitBRONZE Member
71 posts

Posted:
Well you've prob been asked this tonnes but was just gonna ask a quicky.....I'm considering doing my first fire spinning sesh at the weekend and have read all the fire safety and fuel gubbins but was wondering where I can actually buy the fuel from? Do I get it from a garage or something? And from what I can gather if I wear jeans with a tight tee then I might be okay?!?!?.....after reading all that I'm a wee bit scared though!....but reeeeally excitamatated!!! bounce bounce2 biggrin bounce bounce2

Sleep when yer dead!

Ted, Ted, I forgaat to have me breakfast, d' ya tink I moight doie?!!

Badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, mushroom, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, mushroom.....

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Wear *cotton*, no fake synthetic polyester or anything like that as it will just melt. If you're wearing jeans for example its surprising how durible they are. If you're overly paranoid you can put a damp bandana on your head to protect the hair, but since its your first fire spin do *small* things, nothing fancy, and make sure you practice with your fire chains beforehand.

Be careful though, fire is very hypnotizing and it takes awhile before you're not so distracted by the smell and the sound and the sight of it while you're spinning. It's easy to find yourself watching the pretty trails of fire and before you know it you're tangling yourself up into something that could go bad.

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

GherkinGOLD Member
Inventor
117 posts

Posted:
Also, make sure you're using a suitable fuel. Generally you can get things like kerosene and white gas at supermarkets...

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
You're in the UK, so the fuel you need is paraffin; you can get it from some garages and many small DIY stores.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
I would actually recommend that you buy your Kerosene from either a hardware store or even better a Service station (gas station) (petroleum station) (fillup place) place where you put fuel in your car. I know that different places in the world call it different things.

Contrary to popular belief. Not all kerosene's are the same. The bigger lot of Kero you buy at once will not only save you money but will probably be more pure.
I personally buy twenty Litres of Kero at a time from my BP service station and upon reading its MSDS i have concluded that it is a good quality Kero. This way it costs less and whenever i have a spin i just fill up my four litre fuel container and go.

My advice to anyone would be. Try to buy fuel from a reputable company. and allways study the data sheet for it. and keep it handy

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

gemitBRONZE Member
71 posts

Posted:
Nice one! Cheers for the advice peeps, I'll be heading to my DIY store pronto!...wish me luck!

Sleep when yer dead!

Badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, mushroom, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, mushroom.....

GherkinGOLD Member
Inventor
117 posts

Posted:
Good luck! wink

stongsfireGOLD Member
53 posts

Posted:
happy burning
smile

And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?

Hot ashes for trees?

Hot air for a cool breeze? Cold comfort for change?

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war

for a lead role in a cage?

--Pink Floyd

munkypunksGOLD Member
enthusiast, but not enthusiastic
367 posts

Posted:
Written by: DoktorSkell

I personally buy twenty Litres of Kero at a time from my BP service station and upon reading its MSDS i have concluded that it is a good quality Kero. This way it costs less and whenever i have a spin i just fill up my four litre fuel container and go.

Wow! That sounds like a lot to me. How long can you keep it around? Does kero have an expiration date? Even writing that sounds idiotic, but I have to ask, just in case. rolleyes confused

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
As long as your container is airtight (which it really ouht to be!), it won't go off. I've left containers at my folks house for at least 6 months at a time and never had any problems

Cake or Death?

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
To tell you the truth.
Twenty litres doesnt last me long. i am a fire addict.

Oh my poor lungs, at this rate they will pack up and leave

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hey Gemit,
Congrats biggrin on your first firespin!
It must be the day for it.. a lovely young pixie who's staying at my house had his first fire spin tonight, on the first original stick I made 10 years ago!
And the lad who used to spin that 10 years ago now earns his llivng travelling theworld with his own fire troupe!! So you never know where these things may take you wink wave

ps
But augh yuck all this talk of smelly Kero..paraffin or whatever? Can you chaps get non stink fuel over there? We call is Ksol or Firesol or various things.... I'm sure there's threads all about it here in HoP...
Hey Skell, can you orsomeone tell Gemit what the UK equivalent is?

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

gemitBRONZE Member
71 posts

Posted:
Yaaaaaaay for fire!!! I did it, I did it, I diiiiiid it!!! It was really scary but at about 10:30 last night (after a few voddies) I cured my wicks and went for it!!!

Although it only lasted about 3 mins my mates said it looked well good and were even comparing it to the shows they had seen in Thailand!! Ahhhhh, what would we do without the encouragement like that huh!? grouphug

Well in the excitement I totally forgot to get someone with the vid camera! ooooops It was a tad windy as well so they went out twice!! I only hit myself twice, on da head and all accross my back.....wicked...and I stank of Paraffin tooooooooo!! Can't wait to do it again and must remember the camera!!! ubbrollsmile clap ubbrollsmile

I don't mind the smell at all, makes me look nails man!!!! But think maybe the flames should have lasted longer so maybe I'll look into different fuels after me 4 ltr container of this has gone!?

Just need to find somewhere to practice permenantly as am at the parentals in the country this weekend and I live in da big city so people would probably be ringing the fire brigade and all sorts....ooooo bring on the fitty firemen though!!!....thanks to you all for the good luck and help and stoof grouphug hug grouphug

Sleep when yer dead!

TKOFmember
44 posts

Posted:
good one welcome to the addiction of fire, p.s i think it is contageous

the end is nigh and now comence the time of the retarded badger

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Congratulations!! Though I'm not sure abouthe wisdom of voddies as an inner fuel wink

Yeah I can understand that the stink of paraffin may appeal on some level...like that famous line from the mad colonel in Apocolypse Now.. 'I love the smell of napalm in the morning.....'

The appeal wears off after a while though! when the car, the hair, the clothes, the girdlfriend, the breakfast and the voddie all start smelling of it!

The non stink stuff is great, burns beautifully.... it is called Pegasol 3440, marketed as.... hmmmm dunno in the UK!!! I know there was a big thread about it here not long ago.... so if you find that, go for it.

In any case YAY for you and have a ( safe ) ball!!!!! clapdevil clap

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Written by: Pyroptix

Now this is fraggin handy

https://www.oilchem.com.au/solvent_equivalents.htm

these are the guys i get my fuel off and i'm wrapped to find this.

basically ShellSol T equivalents are Pegasol 3440 (obviously) but also for EXXON - Isopar G and BP - Solvent 11

hope this can help some travellers stick to clean fuels. Personally it gives me more options to find a supplier in China for some Bejing gigs (fingers crossed).

This was in another current thread "Solvent Equivalents"

Also you can do a search in HoP and it will come up with a MSDS smile
EDITED_BY: newgabe (1113174142)