Forums > Social Discussion > Almost losing what you take for granted.

Login/Join to Participate

SocksBRONZE Member
Arf! Can I have a biscut?
288 posts

Posted:
...or "Wow, I guess I am a little more dalmatian-like than I care to think about." See, last night at 3:30 AM I went 50% deaf.

I went swimming at a pool indoors, and I guess the 'wax' in my ear soaked up water then expanded. It expanded in a way that sealed my ear completely. Now I tried to remove it with a kleenex (NOT A q-TIP!!!) and I was getting this evil brown gunk, but nothing.

So... I think Lightning will enjoy this with a grin.... Went into the emergency room not knowing WHY I was half deaf. After being asked if I heard voices (which would have made a MUCH more interesting visit to the Urgent Care....) I was admitted. They looked in, said something about needing to get it irrigated (and immediately I thought of farm implements, and worried about digging...) They did the procedure, and I never, EVER thought that I'd see that much CRUD come out of that portion of my body. It was more than I thought there was room inside my ear.

As of now, I'm still hearing snails crawl and the world is still more than a little "spinny". I've got antibiotics, and I gotta keep it dry. And it feels like someone took an auger and drilled my ear canal out. Which is sorta what happened, actually.

But last night, I really had no idea WHAT was going on. And you think of all the most ridiculous things, like "What if it's permanent" or "Did I just make it worse?" and so on. I had no idea if I was going to be like that always, and that's a scary thought. That and I had to drive home without hearing anything to my right, and let me tell you that is not fun.

I guess what I'm saying is... Try to take in something today. Look around at some of the things you never would think about losing forever, and appreciate it. Feeling your computer keys, or smelling that breakfast / lunch / dinner smell that's always there, or seeing stuff across the yard and into the street, or hearing that song on the radio for the umpteen-millionth time. You don't think of this stuff 'till it's gone, or close to being gone.

It may not mean anything to anyone else, but for me, it's kinda made me sit back and think about a few things. Ok, so it's not like I almost died or something. But it did make me think about stuff.

Like the fact dalmatians are notorious for going deaf. That's one part of the dog costume I'm more than happy to not be a part of. I'll take my "taste" and be thankful it's not permanent.

Socks

I'm weird. Just work through that and we'll all be fine.

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Could it just have been wax that built up?

I should get my ears syringed soon actually. I remember watching my dad his his done once..

I had to leave the room to throw up....

FlapjacksSILVER Member
part of the lonely trio
137 posts

Posted:
Scary. I'd hate to lose my hearing.

I thought I'd managed to blind myself in one of my eyes once after a situation with a dark room, a radio arial and my open eye... couldn't see out of it for a couple of hours and being me I panicked and convinced myself that I'd ruined my eye for good. *cringe*

smells like burning teenagers..

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
it's true...i lost about 25% of my hearing 3 years ago and it was a bit of a shock...actually a lot.

i can still hear and no one would ever notice really, but it causes me a lot of trouble....wish i'd appreciated being able to cross a road properly or listen to headphones without it sounding all lopsided before... frown

but on the other hand..i still have the rest and i don't wear a hearing aid...so i'm happy for that still!!!!!

honestly...think what the world would be like without music...then go and give the universe a huge hug for your ears!!!!!! hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
Ooh, i had something similar the other week. Had a cold, and lost probably 50% hearing in one ear. It was bizarre! confused

Better now tho smile

"But what would you do with a brain if you had one?"

Dorothy Gale

munkypunksGOLD Member
enthusiast, but not enthusiastic
367 posts

Posted:
Written by: Tao Star

honestly...think what the world would be like without music...then go and give the universe a huge hug for your ears!!!!!! hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2

In thanks for my ability to hear, enjoy, dance, and spin to music, I went out at lunchtime and bought 4 cds. smile I was starving, but studying the used racks, and was reminded of the quote, whenever I have a little money, I buy books, and if there's any left over I buy food. But it was worth it!

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
I am allready 90%deaf on my left ear.. gets stupid when somebody walks on my left and says something and I allways ask What..? deafness is a stoopid thing..

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

Mountain ElfSILVER Member
9 posts

Posted:
Definately a scary experience...i spiked the small end of a tree branch into my eye while riding my horse a few years ago...couldn't see properly for a few days and it was something of a relief to wake up with sight fully restored! My mum's not been so lucky though. She fractured her skull 2 years ago and since that day has completely lost her sense of smell and therefore can't taste anything either. That made me think a lot about which sense I could most live without and i haven't yet come up with an answer which makes me very thankful I still have all 5 intact and functioning normally.

Hooray for the human body! clap

Outside pressure to change only strengthens inner values...

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
i would hate to go deaf...i love music too much! smile but i fear blindness more! tonight i walked outside (which reminds me, i better go hang out my washing!) and the sky out there is so clear you can see all the stars!! i stood there staring for a couple of minutes...twas very lovely!! biggrin

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

FlapjacksSILVER Member
part of the lonely trio
137 posts

Posted:
How many scents/smells do you reckon a person smells in a day?

smells like burning teenagers..

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
I had something similar happen to me a while ago, I lost all hearing in one ear, it was like it for a few days before it cleared properly.

A very scary experience! eek

It makes you appreciate how lucky you are.

I have since investigated taking some lessons in sign language, just because I'd like to be able to make life a little easier for those who aren't lucky enough to get their hearing back after a couple of days, all I have to now is get off my backside and enroll on the course!

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
lol ive had something similar (considers counting how many times thats been said already) bout a year ago i fell off a trampoline and landed flat on my [censored] - as a consiquence i couldnt breath properly for 3 minutes (winding myself) also i thought id brocken my back and coulda been paralysed - luckily i was ok but it made me realise how much i value my mobilitiy (especailly as it took 3 days for me to be able to walk etc with out pain)

back

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
yes! everyone should learn BSL. although i have alright hearing i still use it sometimes especially if it's dark and i can't lip read, or if i'm just tired.

it's also really handy in clubs & stuff...

strong-bad pop up book,

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
i really should go and learn it - i know a bit of macaton for my job with disabled kids but no where near enough of either to get very far - can do a fair bit of the alaphbet though smile

back

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
you can start now!

alphabet

biggrin

strong-bad pop up book,

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I'd rather go deaf than blind though!

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
My biggest problem with BSL, is that I'm left handed, therefore I seem to do most of it backwards! ubblol

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."