MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I have a cold.

Except it's funny. See, I just finished my Infectious Diseases final today, I woke up with a cold. Ironic, eh?

But when I can't just have a sore throat. No, I have to have "pharyngitis." And I can't have a simple runny nose, I have "choryza" or "rhinorrhea." And I can't just have a cold, I have to have a differential diagnosis as long as an interstate. And then I have to inspect my tonsils in the bathroom mirror and note that there is no purulent exudate (pus) on them and that one of them is edematous (swollen) and erythematous (red).

It's sort of like a friend of mine who was a culinary student. He couldn't just make himself an omlette when he was hungry. It was always a "creation" with sauteed vegetables, spices, and a soufflé dish. He said that the one thing he missed about his pre-culinary school life was peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

That's my basic approach to getting sick. Maybe one day I'll be able to get sick again without having to diagnose myself.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
feel bettttttttter!

seriously tho, thats kinda scary, the whole self diagnosis thing....

does that mean when you graze your knee (abrade it) that it becomes something serious?
can nothing ever just be cured by chicken noodle soup anymore?? ARGH! and what about kisses better!
(not that im offering to kiss your tonsil...)

Currently on the right side up of the world.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Bah! carefull, if things keep going the way they are you could end up with somehting serius.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Raymund Phule:
Bah! carefull, if things keep going the way they are you could end up with somehting serius.
No kidding. The most devastating diseases in the world often start with a "mild flu-like illness." I haven't been able to rule out West Nile yet...

-Mike

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
awww... get well soon, beautiful

::puts on doctors outfit and loks very concerned and serious::

I'm afraid we're going to have to amputate that poor gentleman

shine on
cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
HUGZ man.......colds suck

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Will it make you feel better if we played Dr's and nurses ?

Slips into nurses outfit that she just happens to find under her bed

now where does it hurt the most?????

[ 19 September 2002, 05:51: Message edited by: BamBam ]

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
BamBam finds alot of stuff under the bed

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by BamBam:
Will it make you feel better if we played Dr's and nurses ?

Slips into nurses outfit that she just happens to find under her bed

now where does it hurt the most?????

Well, in my sinuses, but you'd better give me a thorough checking over...

Just to be sure...

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Incidentally, whatever I have is ruthless! Half the class was sniffling and sneezing today and one of the professors, too.

I asked my friend who's a doctor if he'd discovered the cure for the common cold yet and he said "hell, you think I'd be standing here if I had found the cure for the common cold?"

Well, I had to give a speech today, so I was all hopped up on nose spray and what-not. No more of that. Now I'm just going to take vitamin C and let my body do what it will to get rid of this thing.

Masking symptoms just makes you sick longer.

-Mike

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
thats why I dont get sick. ever. its quite nice in fact.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Education ruins a lot of things, after taking higher georapghy (a-levels for all the sussanachs out there) I lost all apreachation of landscape. instead of a nice hill id see a 'terminal morain' etc.

now im in university im stenuiosly avoiding lering anything, so i dont spoil my apreation of litrature. This of couse clashes with the aims of my tutors, but fuck'em.

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Hope you're feeling better Mike - I'm feeling horrible today myself with a bad cold Colds are yuck - especially when I've got a show on Saturday, need to get better, need to get better.....

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm pretty much better. I actually got a sinus infection, and my stubbornness about using decongestants almost did me in. I gave in and took Nytol (wonderful stuff). It knocked me out.

An hour later, I woke up to this loud *BANG* in my head...and then I felt this one sinus that had felt like it was going to explode suddenly depressurize. I had been in so much pain that when that happened, it felt like an orgasm...except better. *ahhhhhhh*

Today I feel fine. A bit of a stuffy nose still, slight scratchy throat, but it's over. I'm getting better now.

Really sucked, though. Before Tuesday I hadn't been sick in six years.

-Mike