Forums > Help! > the great poi graveyard in the <insert answer here>?

Login/Join to Participate

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
ok... what does anyone do with dead poi??

i have a pair of monkey fists which passed away about three months ago now because... well, largely because they were shitely made.... but how does one go about disposing of burnt kevlar, which may still contain a small amount of fuel, in a relatively environmentally friendly way? I have already salvaged the useful bits but the kevlar itself, is really no good to anybody...

do i just bin it? or does it need to be disposed of in a similar way to paint tins and whatever.... umm

while i'm on this subject what does anyone do with empty fuel containers? confused

am i worrying about this too much, because really i've already done the environment inextricable harm by burning the darn things...??!?!?!? eek *panics* oh my god, environmental meltdown!! help!

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i used to get my ful containers refilled.
you could always give them back to the hardware store or where ever yuo buy your fuel from.

As for the wick!... no idea.i've never had any die.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Used wicks, just bin the suckers and get on with it. You've already acknowledged the environmental damage you've done just by lighting them up in the first place, and tossing your used kevlar in the trash is small potatoes compared to what's already taken place.

Failing that, they might just make cool looking decorations hanging from your rear view mirror. Sort of a " firespinner drives this car" statement.

You're in the U.K,,,so I'm assuming kerosene/paraffin in plastic containers. These have to be trashed too as the plastic is considered contaminated and therefore unsuitable for recycling. At least here it is.

robertsBRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
i tend to save my used wicks. ill use them for new contruction experiments or make general use torches from them. i find that my old wicks may not be suitable for spinning anymore, but using the wick on a stationary torch is fine. after that i just pitch them. make sure they are dry. leave out in the sun for a few days. if your really paranoid, soak them in water first. if its ground water contamination your concerned about, your pretty much out of luck. unless you can find an air tight container that wont degrade over time, water will find its way into the wicks and then into the ground. honestly though, fuel spins of your poi onto the ground all the time, i wouldnt worry about it.

if anyone orders Merlot, i'm leaving.

nucleonnewbie
404 posts

Posted:
I would go for the universal problem solver: BURN IT!

so you think Im not a newbie? Ok I'll be the King of the newbies. Nucleon the king of all noobs

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
isn't that what you've been doing the whole time? ubblol

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

nucleonnewbie
404 posts

Posted:
technically it is...
but what I meant was more something like a ritual burning.
like the difference between sunbathing and being crimated

so you think Im not a newbie? Ok I'll be the King of the newbies. Nucleon the king of all noobs

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
all my old bits go into a bag and the bag is periodically searched to find a bit that will suit the idea I am working on...

old kevlar never dies, it just....

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
Still haven't thrown out old poi...

not that there was much actually left of them... could probably soak enough fuel to get around 30 seconds ubblol

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
hmmm.. i'm not really sure what i was actually concerned about more so than any other rubbish confused it's just one of those things that i wonder whether i should be putting into the rubbish, i always hesitate over where to put dead lightbulbs, razors and the like... anything that could possibly be termed 'hazardous waste'... i mean what do they do with all the syringes etc that they collect at hospitals? surely they have to be destroyed... hmmm... and now i'm swerving wildly off topic....

on the other hand i had to put the poi out with water when they broke, and now they have an interesting form of mould growing on them, so who knows, i may be in posession of either a miracle cure or superbug that will either save or destroy the entire human race!

..... i'll shut up now...... and go chuck them in the bin....

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

nucleonnewbie
404 posts

Posted:
in hospitals they have security bins...

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
the great poi graveyard in the .

I lost a set last night frown not lost, but they died. For some reason 1 poi would hold more fuel than the other, and it unbalanced them, and they started to spin all wonky frown

It makes me fe3l weird thinking about all the people who have used them and i wonder how/ where they are now...

loki.c1687SILVER Member
addict
546 posts

Posted:
You could anyways set out a plot in the garden and bury them in a shoe box?
mike.c

Rules and responsibities:
These are the ties that bind us.
We do what we do,because of who we are.
If we did otherwise,we would not be ourselves.
I will do what i have to do
And i will do what i must..

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
monkey fist you say? Fire Contact Juggling ball! (look in Vanize' Gallery for instructional video)

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi