Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > the best staffs money can buy

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Calismember
28 posts

Posted:
hi all

ive been hearing alot about aerotech staffs, but they dont make fire staffs.

i was wondering - is there an equivelant company to aerotech, except for fire?

cost is not an issue, im basically looking to buy the best staff i can.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
only cos you can read them

If you couldnt read them then they wouldnt mean anything...

umm

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
that aside, it still means a lot to me that i get compliments

Step (el-nombrie)

Calismember
28 posts

Posted:
get out of my thread nubs

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
I dont know....

you come along and try and give a guy a few tips, he takes what he wants.......gets extra! Then he marches you on your way rolleyes

Good luck on your staff searching Calis. smile

weavesmiley

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Written by: strugz

I dont know....

you come along and try and give a guy a few tips, he takes what he wants.......gets extra! Then he marches you on your way rolleyes

Good luck on your staff searching Calis. smile

weavesmiley

Too right Strugz. I say we tie him up and tickle his feet with a feather until he begs for mercy...... or wets his pants...... whichever is first!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
and what the hell is a nub?

umm

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Personally,

I think Concentrate staff's are as good as it gets for a 3-piece staff.

wink

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Calismember
28 posts

Posted:
nub is a friendly way of saying random

nubs!

agnisattvanewbie
11 posts

Posted:
Written by: strugz

As for jedi staff makers - hhehehehehe Bluecat and Mech are jedi for sure, me well i linger on the dark side smile

just like a darkside jedi trying to deny his own powers....
Are you hiding something.....
possibly a DEATHSTAR,
or maybe just an intergalactic destroyer
huh, well are ya???

Calis,
I would highly reccomend learning to make your own. I mean if you want to go ahead and get a jedi approved one for now it will offer you something to learn with/from but in the end you will always appreciate having the ability to make your own. Imagine arriving at the airport only to realize, that for some reason(dirty whicks, too large, weapon of mass destruction, etc...) you cannot bring your staff on the plane, or check it in w/your luggage. Well if you don't know how to make your own then this could be a problem, but if you do.... No problem. Send it back home with one of your mates, get on the plane and find a hardware store when you get to where you are going.... This is only one example there are plenty more but I actually had this happen with my poi heads in mexico. They wouldn't let me on the plane with them because they had been dipped two days before and they still smelled like fuel. So I had to give them up. Luckily I had some extra whicking and whipped up another pair when we got to acapulco. bam problem resolved.

As far as concentrate staffs go. I own one, I use it alot and I like it alot, BUT I do not like it as much for contact work as the ones I have made. The balance on them is funny, they bounce too much and the contoured grip is bothersome and gets in the way sometimes. They are great for travel though. What I would like to make is a 3-piece contact staff, w/no contoured grip, and consistant balance. I am currently working on a design, and I am working in a metal shop so hopefully in the next month or so I will come up with something. I will be more than happy to share my plans with the HOP family once I get it finished.

8) The Gods, adored with brilliant fires. have granted precious wealth to us. So, with bright fires, we pray to thee.
HYMN XXVI. Agni.
From the Hindu sacred text "Rig Veda"

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Yeah, agnisattva that one about contact a concentrate staffs comes up a lot. I know lots of influential people, like Bender, are pressing for a concentrate staff more suitable for contact. I do a little contact and don't find the grip a problem. It's not ideal, but I work around it. The best staff I ever had was the first one I made.

smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
the better the twirler, the less important the dimensions of the staff/poi/chainsaw.
where possible, improve the twirler as much the toy.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i was trying to build a three section staff, was going quite well, maybe ill finish it some time soon....

strugz ill bring the prototype staff with me so you can have a look

Step (el-nombrie)

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Sweet man, i have some resin for you too biggrin

Its mad stuff comes in 2 compouinds you mix together, one bright blue the other bright red - when mixed they go a grey / green colour - stinx to high heaven but i tried burning a flat surface of it last night without much luck. So it could give you a few ideas........ ill leave it with you to play with

smile

& Skully - that sounds like a great idea, although if we havnt got a feather to make him wet himself, we can get Mech to squeeze him!........... well.......... it worked on Frodo ubblol

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
whats the weight of the resin like?

can you pm me the name, or the link to a site to buy it from?

are you using it for full staff core, or just part core?

come on more answers strugz

Step (el-nombrie)

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Real light wieght m8, its used on flying machines!

Dont know name - am working on that one.

Havnt done a "full core" - no need me finx, could be tricky aswell.

The resin is very "tacky" it sets a nice finish but filling an entire pole may result in bubbling - air can get trapped i would imagine, much like pouring concrete youd have to vibrate it.

Ive only filled about 2" either end of a sick so far - ill let you see soon as i have FNF sticks and my new ones ill be bringing up to Duncs, all of which have been resined.

Now enuf with the questions damit, patience is what you need, then all your questions will be answerd! Well apart from the name of it perhaps, but hey if i cant find that maybe we can call it "Herbert" or something of similar quality wink

cool

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
Strugz is this another of your "later" promises? :P

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
you needto be worried when strugz says hell be finishing or doing somthing soon, now if hes going to do it later wink

Step (el-nombrie)

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Written by: Lavatwilight

Strugz is this another of your "later" promises? :P

ubblol

I dont remember promising YOU anything biggrin

finishing and soon mean nothing to me, but later...........

means 25th February at about 2pm wink

KatPSILVER Member
Muddy fingernails
505 posts

Posted:
Resin sounds a bit like car body filler. That stuff stinks too, very messy and sticky. Have to work quite fast wih it or it goes wonky but can buil up layers, too much at once does form bubbles. Sands down nicely though!

Hmmm...... ubbidea Off to look up composition and flammability of body filler!

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

KITTENS!!!!

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
how exactly do you accomplish homemade three peice staves? don't you have to make them threaded? i've been devoting an unreasonable amount of thought to this of late, and i would apreceiate an explanation so that i can think about things that actually matter.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
the normal type or the crazy type.
you can get the part to make the crazy type

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
oops. wrong button.
. . . here
if u meant the normal type, let me know when u figure it out.

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

minimaniacThe Ladiees Man
360 posts

Posted:
if you can get the use of a big lathe then i suppose you can make up some threaded bar that will screw into each other!

can someone tell me at falmouth if the staffs ive made are ok?

I'm going to leave the army and run away to the circus

if not i will just become a MI5 agent !!!

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Written by: sparkey

how exactly do you accomplish homemade three peice staves? don't you have to make them threaded? i've been devoting an unreasonable amount of thought to this of late, and i would apreceiate an explanation so that i can think about things that actually matter.

If you want to make things threaded, then taps (which put the thread on the inside of the hole) can be got for about £30 for a few different bits. You can buy "studding", which is threaded steel rod (like a bolt with no end) for a few quid a metre. I had a staff built like this, and I loved it, once I found that gumming up the thread with all kinds of crap made it rattle less. (Clearly not sofissicated enough to use locking compound or similar wink )

Unfortunately, it got eaten by a cinema. frown

monkeys ate my brain

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
or a couple of lateral holes with split pins and/or bolts with wing nuts?

easier than threading

ture na sig

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
for the contact staffers out there interested in sleek handles for the three piece (break down) 'innercore' staves, Callan from concentrate says that it isn't available at this time because the cost of producing such staves is prohibitive right now....

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Page: