Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Manchester Spinners Meet up Info + Stuff

Login/Join to Participate
Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
juggle weavesmiley Manchester Spinner’s Meet up and stuff weavesmiley juggle

Hi all If you are looking for people to spin poi with in the North west this is the place to be.

For any one new to this sight DON’T READ THE WHOLE THREAD it has been going a long time and contains lots of old information and chat about previous meet ups and organisation stuff just go to the last few posts to find out the most up-to-date information on current events.

First a bit of info the Manchester spinners lot is no professional spinning troop or organised events it is just a group of people who get together to enjoy themselves. The first meet up was organised way beck in September 04 https://delizium.fotopic.net/c291964.html

The crowd has changed a bit from back then but we have kept a few old timers we welcome all along to come and join us for a spin whether you be experienced or a complete beginner we are willing to teach and learn from you.

Their is no set time for the meet ups they are usually organised around when people can make it and how long they can stay.

I will try to update this first post as often as I can with the most up-to-date info on meet ups and club nights that allow spinning but if I'm being a bit lax just find the last few posts foe up-to-date info (like I said before weren’t you paying attention)

To date the standard meets have gone as meet up in Piccadilly gardens at 4pm (nice central point where every one can get to) Then move on down to the Gas Works/CastleField or Plat fields Park depending on the wether till everyone gets to cold/tired/burned then on to the pub

( anybody who doesn’t know where this is it can be arranged for someone to come meet you at the train station or wherever you are coming from .) smile

{ ubblove We are a nice bunch like that ubblove}

Accommodation for a night can usually be arranged but you need to sort this well in advance no just turning up expecting somewhere to sleep eek

(more to be added and all to be spell checked soon)

pm me any info you would like to add

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
*Opens one eye* *stretches* *yawns*

Is it warm yet?

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
 Written by :pricklyleaf

*Opens one eye* *stretches* *yawns*

Is it warm yet?

Are you on drugs?
It may indeed be warmer than it was, but then being warmer than "blummin freezing" isn't hard. To describe it as "warm" would just be silly...

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

Gremlin_Loumember
131 posts

Posted:
Hello all

Wow, I haven't been on here or to a meet for ages. My poor staff's are sitting in my shed unloved for a few months!

I need your help though - my workplace is holding an event to reduce stress and we need some people to come in and show people how to juggle/poi/diablo that kind of thing.

I need to two people (3 max) who are multi-skilled - eg juggling and plate spinning, or juggling and poi spinning etc to come here and show my colleagues how to do it. It would be Tuesday 3rd June 12 -2pm. There is chocolate in it for you.

Please could you let me know if you are interested? Thanks
Lou

'If your deeds shouldn't be known, perhaps they shouldn't be done, if your words shouldn't be shared, perhaps they shouldn't be spoken. Act with attention, for all your acts have consequences" (Rabbi Judah HaNassi)

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Ladies and Gents...

I'm helping out at Futuresonic this weekend. There's free music and stuff at the Contact Theatre. They've said anyone who wants to spin / juggle / etc (no fire) to the music outside is more than welcome. (on Sunday - not sure whats happening on monday yet)

If you fancy it head down. If you want more info you probably have my phone number - I'll try to check for messages on here tomorrow during the day.

shocked_prawnSILVER Member
old hand
865 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Bubbles_

so whens the next meet guys?
i can make the 25th...

biggrin i can do the 25th!

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

skribleBRONZE Member
155 posts

Posted:
Hey You Crazy Kids!!!! its my birthday on the 3rd june (three weeks from now) and im planning on having barbeque and fun in our back garden at our house, not sure on a date yet but general concensus?
hug

this apple juice is a bit milky isnt it?!

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
ooo, I could probably get to Manchester on the 25th, its about time I headed over that way for a spin.

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
That wkend is Bank Holiday too, so no work on Monday - Yay!! bounce

And a barbie sounds great Terri biggrin

Jen she's lurvly ubblove

Nigel, we've gone by-passed spring and gone from winter to summer this week so it is now officially warm sunny Get your cute lil butt out to play!

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

steaksSILVER Member
former manc tour guide
1,909 posts

Posted:
I can manage the 25th as well. Been far too long since I did any spinning, let along went to a meet.

I should be more mobile by then as well. biggrin bounce2

Owned by the lovely SNOOPoi
Owner of Clarence_Quack

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I should be there.

Where is it?

Nigel - No I'm not on drugs, tongue although you are the second person who's asked me that in 2 weeks umm

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

FractosDirty Fire Project
133 posts

Posted:
2 in 2 weeks?

You're doing well.

Try harder smile

oOo
You see, you already know circle-theory,
you just don't *know* that you know.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
well this ties in with the same day i move to stoke.

should be able to make it up there by 5/6ish.

castlefied? or this other place nigel has suggested?

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
YAY!
25th it is smile

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

steaksSILVER Member
former manc tour guide
1,909 posts

Posted:
Still at castlefield? or a new location?

Owned by the lovely SNOOPoi
Owner of Clarence_Quack

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Damn you all!

I'll be working HERE that weekend.

shocked_prawnSILVER Member
old hand
865 posts

Posted:
25th? sorted. pete do you want a lift? and will cantus need picking up pn the way through?

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
what you doing there seye?

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
DJ Technician

Sounds like the easiest job in the world! I have no idea what it really entails though confused

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
surely you should just stand around and 90% of the time just keep telling em that they are crap

to be fair tho, the acid house stage could be quite cool, saw the line-up the other day, think josh wink is playing there, so that would be pretty awesome

gimme a ring somepoint soon, need to chat about SL

biggrin

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
i'm finally back on the interweb biggrin bloody evil pc died on me so i've been internetless for a while and my phone died too so the reminders for the last meet didn't go off frown

though i should be at this next one, set 5 reminders so i don't forget... tongue

where abouts were you thinking we should have it? cause nigel suggested we try a place near deansgate, so it could be worth having a look

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

336 posts

Posted:
Since I seem to have been taken seriously, here's a buit more on those places I said:

Parsonage Gardens is at the end of St. Mary's st. off Deansgate - if you go from the church end of St. Ann's square to Deansgate, cross straight over and carry on in that direction then you're there. Just a wee small space but it's green and fairly central.

The other place I said is St. John's gardens, which is between Byrom St. and MOSI - St. John's st, which leads straight to it, is off Deansgate opposite the great northern. Bigger than parsonage gardens, less central, not really all that far from castlefield...

Doesn't matter to me either way, once again the meet is when I can't make it... (the evil ex is allowing me to see my daughter that weekend...)

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
how small is "wee small space" ?

336 posts

Posted:
In terms of being a park, not very. In comparison to under one of the railway arches at the gasworks, bigger.

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Woo!! I will be moving to Manchester next week! Going to be working there for the summer so that should be fun!

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
So that was you that sent me the text then?

I changed my phone a while ago (lost a few numbers in the process) and that confused the hell out of me!

Awesome dude! Where abouts are you gonna be living? Come to Chorlton!

133 posts

Posted:
w0000t!! Whereabouts man? You're welcome over to Roxton anytime smile

oOo

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by :PinkNigel

In terms of being a park, not very. In comparison to under one of the railway arches at the gasworks, bigger.

does sound bout right, definitely worth investigating. what does everyone else think?

133 posts

Posted:
 Written by :simta

Written by :PinkNigel

does sound bout right, definitely worth investigating. what does everyone else think?

the details are fuzzy - my first job was in Parsonage Chambers which is right next to it, I remember there being a little space there but that was 1993!

oOo

336 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Fractos

the details are fuzzy - my first job was in Parsonage Chambers which is right next to it, I remember there being a little space there but that was 1993!

Hey, that's OK, my memory is a bit fuzzy too... But we did use it for the games at the 7 1/2th BJC and it was plenty big enough for those...

I have to go into town tomorrow anyway, so I'll have a look and report back.

336 posts

Posted:
So I went into town, and I had a look.

Size isn't an issue, it's plenty big enough to play on, and tucked away enough for a centre of town spot so as not to have to spend all the time fending off numpties... There's grass and benches and trees....

....and roads (though not particularly busy ones) all around it and no shelter except for said trees. And the buildings around it are pretty tall really, so how much actual sunshine it gets I couldn't say.