Page:
ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I decided to do something about my smoking habits and I had hypnotherapy yesterday... very full on experience... I went into a very deep meditation and just listened to what the lady was telling me, so far so good... I am going back next week to see how things are going... Anyone else here had a hypnotherapy experience?... Anyone run around a stage and clucked like a chicken and eaten whole onions, all the while believing they were marilyn munroe?

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Smoking is bad mmmmmkay!!

I gave up about 9 months ago! biggrin biggrin biggrin

your such a sweetie wanting to smash me for the health of my baby!! hug hug hug hug ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

SocksBRONZE Member
Arf! Can I have a biscut?
288 posts

Posted:
I've tried to use hypnosis to feed a desire of mine, but it didn't work. Well that's not true, it worked with one person but he's gone now. But every time I try hypnosis, it doesn't work. I can't breach a trust factor in the hypnotist. I've developed over teh years some strong mental defenses that, well, emotionally protect. Yeah, that's the term I'll use.

I've never had enough trust in whoever tries to do the hypnosis to let go fully. Many have tried, only one has done it. But, as I said, that's another story.

I guess that it's a matter of being able to release, and I just can't do that to somoene who says "relax" to me.

Socks

I'm weird. Just work through that and we'll all be fine.

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
we had a hypnotist at a uni do. He tried to get us to do stuff but had no luck with a couple of us because it wasn't real hypnotism in my eyes, he just made people close their eyes and told them to do stuff, I think the only reason most did it was they were too embaressed not to thinking others were doing the same (closed eyes so couldn't tell) more trickery really but would like to see if my addled brain is susceptable. cool

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: Valura

your such a sweetie wanting to smash me for the health of my baby!! hug hug hug hug ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

I know. biggrin

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
*bump*

I've now learnt how to put myself into a trance and administer my own hypnotherapy.

My god this feels awesome.

I was feeling stressy and panicky this morning, and of course OCD started to take over. I stopped, and put myself into a trance, and now all i want to do is juggle and dance, and I feel so mega chilled out. this ability is gonna prove to be a godsend.

Next on the agenda is to try to hypnotise someone else (with permission, of course) and then, from there, I'll be able to help other people relax and feel better about things.

This is gonna be really useful when it comes to coping with exam stress, and and when friends feel depressed...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Look_This_Changes

This is gonna be really useful when it comes to coping with exam stress, and and when friends feel depressed...

and when you want your friends to bark like a dog while running around naked outside.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
indeed. because the best thing to do with hypnosis is to humiliate and control people. rolleyes

If someone were to hypnotise you, and tell you to jump in front of a moving car, d'you reckon you'd do it?

I can guarantee that a mechanism would kick in that says: Hang on, that'll hurt me, I'm not doing it. either that, or you have a genuine death wish. smile

When under hypnosis, you still have complete control of your body, and you only do things you want to do. Hell, if i didn't feel in control when I was hypnotised, I'd majorly freak out every time I was put into a trance and end up having a panic attack. So, all you have to do, is be definite about not doing something, and you won't. simple as. There's loads more to hypnosis than laughing at the expense of weak minded others. wink

Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Be Water My Friend.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
hahaha actually im not sure. I've never been hypnotized but from what i have seen it all looks like a joke.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I seriously recommend it to everyone. Not the stage tricks kind of hypnotised, but the hypnotherapy, relaxation kind.

Want will power? hypnotherapy can give it to you. Want to stop feeling scared of things? Hypnotherapy can help with that too.

I can see why you would think it was all a joke. Everybody does at first because all they've had any sort of experience of it is some guy making people do silly things on a stage. It goes a lot deeper than that...

Be Water My Friend.

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the bump, I have some questions!

1. How did you learn to self-hypnotise? Was it hard work to achieve?

2. How do you go about finding a decent hypnotherapist? What should you be looking for?

3. What does it feel like when you're in a trance? I'm guessing it's a bit like a kind of meditation, but I don't know.

Sorry for all the questions, I've been thinking about going to a hypnotherapist for a while for the problem above, but I have no idea what to look for and I guess I'm a bit skeptical still about it having positive long-term results (plus I have a feeling I'll need several sessions - could get expensive!).

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
1) Self hypnosis was easy to achieve, because I knew what I was going to experience.

TBH, I found out I could do it by accident. I was reading a hypnotherapy induction script, and before I had finished reading it, I was in a trance.

2) Pass on that one. i had the fortune of a hypnotherapist in the family. I do know that there are associations and what not of Hypnotherapists, have a look on the internet and you'll find who's registered near you.

3) do you mean feel in the physical, or mental sense? hard to explain, either way. best thing is to feel it yourself.

the thing with Hypnosis, if you believe it's a crock of [censored], it is a crock of [censored]. if you believe it works, it will. as for needing many sessions, it depends on what you want to achieve. for instance, I stopped smoking in one session. I currently use post hypnotic suggestion (When you wake up, you will ...) to stop myself having panic attacks or freaking out if I know I have a particularly difficult day ahead. this stuff wears off in a day or two, or when the task is done etc... I've used this to help me remember stuff (My short term memory is Rubbish). it works for me, there's no reason why it shouldn't work for you too.

Be Water My Friend.

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Ooh, I did some self hypnosis to prepare for having my last baby. I loved doing the practice, it was a really good way to relax.

I found it really powerful stuff- and had a few emotional reactions that I wasn't prepared for (to do with letting go of resentment, and forgiving myself for mistakes I have made and stuff).

Unfortunately, when it actually came to using it at the crucial moment- it didn't work. Bear in mind I had been in stop-start labour for about 14 hours already when things really kicked off, then I had to put my other kids to bed and stuff so by the time I got started things were just too intense and I couldn't get myself in that place.

I would definately consider using it again, but probably not for that kind of situation.

Apparently we all go into self hypnotic trances all the time- you know when you are walking along and zone out thinking about what you are going to have for lunch or something- and then find you got yourself to your destination, and when you day dream and stuff.

Very interesting subject!

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

Page: