Page:
[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
On the Teenage Kicks program called 'drugs r us' on channal 4 (Great Britan, btw ) there was a nice looking party and some firespinners. Lets call upon the power of HoP to identify thease miscreants.=)

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
heh, since were ont he subject, on teh fox sports network,t ehy have a thing called 30 seconds of fame, and two people came on and did meteor, it was cool, nice two person stuff...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
I have a feeling it might have been from the party that Fieryflow held back in March. What a night!!!! Was there a yellow and green LED staff in it??
I didn't realise it was on TV already....did anyone happen to tape it?????? Long shot I know.

Fieryflow, looks like your old pad was on tv

Bam

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

MoohaahaaBRONZE Member
enthusiast
382 posts

Posted:
It was one of Davys parties on the telly. I saw him doin' fire poi, Sketchy Steve dancin' like a loon, Carrey I think I saw on there, ummmmm anyone else? A few peeps doin fire that I dunno, and there was some aerotech staffiness bein done.

Some things you have to see to believe, but
Some things you have to believe in to see.

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
I think the aerotech might have been me, I borrowed it off someone from the party but the big question Moohaahaa is........did you video it???

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Yep, BamBam with the Areotech. Doing fire were Carrey, Ewan (SpacemonkE), Davy (FieryFlow), Macro and Haze (both not on here) plus a couple of people I can't remember. Plus loads of the non spinners.

Then they went to Planet Angel, and there were a few familiar faces there.

Bit weird seeing your mates on TV. Oh, and I taped it.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
10 last night. I turned the telly on just as there was fire spinning, so you can imagine my confusion. Amazingly, you looked like yourself

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
Hey Dom, I think you might be quite popular in a little while (not that you aren't already!)

I'm wondering whether we should let them know that we're all NOT teenagers any more and that you have to be pretty sober to play with fire?

Good one!
C

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
For all the peeps (like me) that missed it, ch 4 are showing it again on Sunday night at 12.55 till 1.30 Monday morning.

I'll have to set my alarm

Bam
X

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
WhOoop-whOoOOP!

How weird woz that?? Cam and I were wotchin it coz way back when they were filming it Sam asked if they could film at one of our squat parties. (evidently there were a few too many paranoid peeps who didn't want to be on camera).
The last thing I expected to see was Davys house!
An yep, BamBam, me definately saw you twirlin your LED
hOOhOoO! Got me all exited it did! I was a bouncin' in ma chair

Az abouve, So below...

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
My stepmum was watching the 30secs of fame thing one night and she called me out for a guy doing short dbls (about a meter) firestaff- and he was an admissions couseler at UC Santa Barbra... rock on Cali!!!!

also two guys juggling fire whilst standing on each others shoulders..... all they for teh most part was a basic cascade, but they were still much loved.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I knew it. Firespinners on tv just had to be onna H-o-P.

i wasnt shure about the immeadate relation, but then, the guy was more onnabout an attitude, and that we do have in common, wheater on drugs or no.

Maybe we should make it a compotition. see who can get the words "I love Home of Poi" into the media first.

N

-><- Kallisti

baerie fenmember
76 posts

Posted:
felt real mixed up seeing Drugs 'R us last night !
Why is it when they show ketamine users it has to be my mates & to top it off nicely linked with fire dancing ! great my two loves & one hate all on the telly ?
please excuse my possibly over sensitive reaction to this but , Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh could we possibly as an alternative community look at presenting a more with it face on TV, we did not look clever or creative in that program we just looked kinda dumb I felt, I dunno just a possible oppourtunity to say something positive about all the 'wonderfull' times we have on drugs & how as a sub culture we all endeavour to watch out for one & another etc.... looking like the norm teen drug, maybe the power is out of our hands ?
maybe we should be shooting, scripting, editing these films & then selling them to corporate wonderland ?
This is all wrapped up in a personal dislike & untrusting view of K , I know that it does nothing for me now, it has taken repeat bad experiences with it to finally ram this point home, also I've watched friends grow larger and larger habits as the light dimmed in there eyes and theyre energies changed & not to mention what any healer will tell u about the stuff !It is negative, disasociative, dangerous shit & I prupose a motion to iradicate it [please if we like ???
& whilst I'm at it here do we really look out for each other that much ?
Are we having a wonderfull time on drugs ?
Do we want to be taken seriously by the world as people ?
what are we all really doing here, partying or saving the planet from ultimate destruction ?
& yes we can party 2 save the planet etc.. but alot of parties we go to have absolutly no bearing on the outcome of judgement day ! & alot more to do with what we all wish to erase or burn from/on our minds.
Dunno ? It just left me feeling wierd & when i saw the thread & read I thought I'd pop something in.
What I do know is that lifes good & we have untold potential amongst us to change the face of this planet forever & for better & that all the seriously on it, together, bueatifull, spiritual people who are changing the world I are clean of toxins & do not see spending Sunday unconcious (yes thats un'concious') in a K hole
as a good way to further human life !
I love you all from my toes to my nose & back & look forward to evolving with you !

Forever spiraling upwards towards unknown destiny.Where will it end ? Where did it start ?Why ask so many questions ?

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I know what you're saying.
But you've got to remember that this program was about teenagers on drugs, not about a community. Our community was only glimpsed, and served as a background to the main point of the film - teenagers taking drugs, so that's what 99% of the chat was about.

The program was about drugs, so that's what they were asking about. Most teenagers taking drugs are on a quest to see how fucked up they can get. Sam came across as a coherent and reasonable, a lot more so than many 17/18 year olds. But still he did turn round to a mate in Planet Angel and comment on how fucked he was. That's a personal pet hate of mine.

I think the party looked fun. Didn't look like a crack house, but a varied, lively party.

So what I'm saying is, don't be too down on it. It came across well. Yeah, K ain't my drug of choice, but each to their own.

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
hey kyrian, i want ot go onto that 30 seconds to fame thing, and ill try the whole plugging HOP, but i need the phone number to call, if anyone can get that for me i guess they do the taping in LA. so if you get me the number i will try out at least, but i do not have television. just movies...

anyone got a light?

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Perhaps someday when technology allows...

ppl on the other side of the world to me(Europe) would be able to tape something on TV, and convert it to mpeg for all of us in the US to watch. Sure would be nice...

From what I hear, the 30secs of Fame show over here has actually shown several fire performers the last couple shows.....I was told they weren't that good.. But I didn't see for myself. I would hope that whomever they are, they did some crazy shit to represent all the fire peeps out there. (= I know I would have...

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
they havn't been very good, (the ones i've seen) and there have been a fair amount.

hopefully pozee can get on.....

877-547-4999 to request an audition.

or you can send in tapes or email them, link to webpage here

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

AjtagThe occasional one...
445 posts

Posted:
i will try to record the program for you all and put it onto a mpeg for you all... but i might be on holiday when it is on so it may take a while....

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who dont.
Enjoy - A

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
fire poi partners in leather coustumes tonight..... fairly decent. audience is gonna get used to it tho so.... pozee.... do something truly amazing!!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I watch that 30 seconds to fame every time I see a fire performer in the trailer for it. Ironicly none of the contestants have used the age old poi secret:

Just do the weave really, really fast.

Actually I haven't seen any of the fire performers do the normal weave. The guy tonight did btb but messed up. Most of the performers keep doing technical moves that only impress other poiers, and in all this they totally forget the move that never fails to impress.....

On a side note did anybody see the fire eater on the same show? He had the wicked industrial looking fire fingers. He aparently built (or had built for him) full metal reinforced leather gloves with fire fingers in. It looked like Edward Fire Hands. He also came equipped with flame thrower wrist bands and flame thrower glasses. Like some kinda GI Joe doll with a wussy body and a bad haircut.

[ 15 August 2002, 14:46: Message edited by: SickpuPpy ]

Jesus helps me trick people.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
i did see the fire eater guy with thw rists adn stuff.

the audience liked teh burn the nose thing, bout otherwise appeared unimpressed. i say a couple good wraps and teh weave.... or larger double firstaffs with burnoffs and some throws. i dunno. there's gotta be some way they can get some really snazzy [/i[ lookin people on there.... stacking tricks impress people too.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
Baerie, I have to agree with Dom. In comparisson to other programmes I've seen on the subject, I thought it was a very positive portrayal of teenage drug-culture. For once the angle taken was objective, and non-descriminative. I felt as though for once, the audience were given the right to come to their own conclusions, rather than the usual 'This is how it is, and its BAD' approach.
I am in agreement with your positive gaols for the planet, but we have to remember it's up to the individual to save themselves. And who are we to dictate whats good for everyone?

xxx

Az abouve, So below...

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
Ben,

I agree, dark drug, dark effects.. But I also agree that their portrayal wasn't of our community, but of one of my house parties. If anything, you look at the beauty of the fire-dance scene, or the art hanging in the dance room, *that* is the glimpse at our community, and to me, thats a good thing.

Also, try to remember that I moved allll of the k-heads upstairs and into Chris and Tony's rooms for a reason. 10 minutes before the camera crew showed up there was a teenager k-holed on the ground lying between the foyer and the lounge. I think that if anything their portrayal could have been a LOT worse (though I still haven't seen it!!)

So is somebody making a digital copy for poor little ole' NTSC me? I gotta prove to my friends here how famous I am in the UK

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
kyrian,
thanks, i am all over it. i am going to call them tonight. hopefully they are not too bored of the whole fire thing just yet. of course i think the whole thing that i would have to do would involve wraps a little breathing and a little setting myself on fire for that added sense of danger and on the edge of the chair excitement.

then again they could all be bored of it and laugh thinking that i did not mean to set my self on fire...

anyone got a light?

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I think a whole fire troupe would do better than just one person by himself. It would look much more impressive to have three or four people spinning poi, one or two staffers, and some people behind and to the side doing fire breathing to the beat of the music for added effect. I think that would look totally sick.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
go for it pozzee, get a T-shirt!

anti-K man, I agree, me no like but the party just looked like a party, and to me a pretty funky one.

The program was superficially unbiased but I thought it had an overall slant of its subjects being 'immature' and only the london guy (who was quite happily pasting his nose onna camera, in your toilet) seemed to at least have his own sorta life going. It didnt really tackle the reason why drugs are prevelent, didnt touch on comunity issues. it was testimonial, but edited. it was o.k. but theres more to the debate.

there.

N

;-p

-><- Kallisti

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
YAY!!! I finally saw it!!!

Yay for DivX!

So I have to say that the Smack-head blonde with prostitute friends who sell their body for smack wasn't at all positive. Her sisters even showed up and robbed her parents... wtf??

The pothead who was arguing with his parents reminded me of me when I was 16. Sadly...

Sam (the Londoner) looked very good though, and seemed to fully understand what he was doing to himself and the consequences for his actions. His parents looked quite good and open-minded too.

man, my house party looked soooooo cool though, and Carrey and Marco both looked really good with their fire.. And that definitely was BamBam with the aerotech staff.

AjtagThe occasional one...
445 posts

Posted:
will record it tonight and try to put the poi/ staff stuff on the web for you all to see
hows that sound???

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who dont.
Enjoy - A

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Smack-head blonde with prostitute friends?

Now that's not very PC

The correct term is "Skank ass junky whore"

orangemember
158 posts

Posted:
Hiya Steve
how be the tepooka lot ? well i hope
once again somehow wearing all orange escapes the camera's eye ? how do it do dat?
fieryflow lovely party as was - was transfered to cd by sketchy steve and brought to Hendon saturday for a little party
so its available somewhere
btw do you know how famous and good you are ?
loads !!!
hope canada is lovely this time of year
hugs all...xxx...

swoopedinandswoopedoutagain...orange...xxx...

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
I got the programme on tape last night, so I'll let that do the rounds in London, if anyone is interested in a VHS version. Let me know at the Spitalfields night this Tuesday, or any Tuesday really.

Otherwise, I still haven't seen it myself and really looking forward to later this evening.

It's quite a bummer that I can't really tell my mom and dad. "Hey Mom, Dad!! I was on TV last night...yeah, it was so cool...It's a programme called 'Drugs are us'" Hmmmm...nope, I don't think so...

Still pretty great though, I'm just hoping it won't freeze frame poi in people's minds as a drug-related activity only.
X
C

Page: