Forums > Social Discussion > Ineffective "Anti-Drug" campaigns.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
[Preamble: Please don't turn this into a discussion of drugs or drug use. It would be inappropriate to do so on this site. The administration of this site has stated previously that discussion of illegal activity is not welcome. I'm not advocating drug use, nor am I chastising those that do. I'm only discussing and critiquing the effectiveness of the 'anti drug' movement.]

OK, I know I'm walking on eggshells here but this is a topic that has been bugging me for a few years now. I'm a high school teacher in a public school so I get to see all of the 'anti drug' messages that are out there. Frankly, I think most of them are horribly ineffective. It makes me angry to see some 'anti drug' ads that are so bad they're almost counter productive. They make kids that don't do drugs look like total geeks and sometimes even make the kids that DO drugs look cooler.

I'm gonna barf if I have to see another: (actual anti-drug slogans)
Winners don't use drugs
Crack is Wack
Drug Free I Can B Anything I Want 2 B
Get Hooked on Healthy Choices
Game Over When You Play With Drugs
Don't Monkey With Drugs
Drugs are unBEARable

What kid getting offered a line of coke by a hot girl in the parking lot is gonna feel comfortable saying "Gee, I would... but Drug Free I Can B Anything I Want 2 B"

I blame people who THINK they're doing their job by printing up 1000 "Don't Monkey with Drugs" buttons when actually they're making a mockery of the entire "anti-drug" viewpoint.

I'm 31 and have never done an illegal drug in my life (gasp!) and the most I've ever had to say was "No, thanks." I never got a weggie, I never got stuck in a locker, and I still got invited to all the cool parties.

I know that some of my adult friends use drugs regularly which is fine with me, I'm not taking issue with adult drug use... but it bothers me that my 14 year old students are getting the message that you have to be a total dweeb to not do drugs. The anti-drug student advocates are totally out of touch with the main stream kid in my school. It's almost taking away the child's option NOT to do drugs.

Kids should be educated so that they can make their OWN informed decisions. I think that my tax dollars can do better for drug education than sicky sweet slogans and t-shirts for the two kids who were already not going to do drugs anyway.

[Crosses fingers and hopes that the thread doesn't veer off topic.]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Any reason for the 17 month old bump up Polarity? Or are you just a really slow typer? wink

(Wondering what made you think of it now... biggrin )

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
one of the better campains i have seen was this i was at uni at the time the fact it was the parents who pushed for the pics to be used was very evectiv
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Whitear

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
this was a good one to i thought
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leah_Betts

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Ange_GSCGOLD Member
HOP's glowstick ambassador!!
128 posts

Posted:
I honestly think the best anti-drug campaign would be to just watch Requiem for a Dream, or Trainspotting. After seeing those movies I never even wanted to be near drugs.

missegyptology: "I just remember beingall off balance and unicycling really fast down to campus and the arabic was all blurred on the page"

^When Linz pulls an all nighter before Arabic class^

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
OK, so I trawled up an old topic. I looked in the 'Who's Online' thing and one of the anons was reading it.

Better than starting a new thread wink

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
 Written by: AngeDeLumiere

I honestly think the best anti-drug campaign would be to just watch Requiem for a Dream, or Trainspotting. After seeing those movies I never even wanted to be near drugs.

boy was req disturbing, my poor bf thought i was going to hyperventilate

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: polarity

OK, so I trawled up an old topic. I looked in the 'Who's Online' thing and one of the anons was reading it.

Oh, no, I was just curious as to whether there was some new horrible anti-drug campaign that made you think of it.

Though now I'm mildly disturbed that you're stalking anons. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
lol nyc

Well I was IN an anti drug film once. Was one of the *cool kids* in a dance scene. Of course we went straight out and scored some grass with the pay...

BUT I gave up smoking recently and one of the ads on our telly was a big influence. (ya gotta know I am 52 to understand this one) Aimed not at kids but my age people...

Had the Who song "My Generation" (which of course, came out when I was a kid. AND if you don't know it you should cos it's great...) It showed images of young cool people from my day (hippies etc), 'liberated chicks' smoking, being free and happy and sexy and communal (like we all were;)). Focused in on one girl's face, that morphed to a woman about my age in a dingy bed, alone, with a oxygen mask on, trying to breathe. Focused in on her sad, scared eyes. To the words 'talking 'bout my generation, my generation baby...'

Then something like; *You got away with it so far. Don't blow it. Quit while you still can* Or similar. It hit home.

A few weeks later I found myself smoking a rollie when I was angry about something. I saw the lady-in-bed image in my mind and thought "this is the fag that gives you cancer.. not the 'cool fun one', THIS one. This is just a crap habit. Time I grew out of this. And stopped.

So some ads work...

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I can't be bothered to go looking for intersting stuff just by scrolling through pages of threads. The 'online now' list is a handy way to get something random but interesting.

How does one stalk an anon? They all look alike wink

Apologies for offtopic bit.

I think campaigns should probably go more into how existing and as yet undiagnosed medical conditions can affect how harmful some drugs are.

However...

What are (UK) peoples opinions on the statistics the government came up with, that there is a link between cannabis use and mental health issues? I haven't seen any campaigns yet, but I'm not at school/college.

I know a few people who use cannabis as self medication, especially when they have stress due to their condition, which in turn makes the other symptoms worse, and the prescription drugs don't work as well, and/or cause unpleasant side effects. None of these people are what I'd consider abusers, as they use a small amount compared to recreational users. I don't see how they can say that use is a cause just because people are using something before diagnosis. People can have problems before diagnosis, and most of these conditions are hereditary.

I don't do drugs of any kind any more, because of exposure to chemicals in the workplace screwing up my neurochemistry. Sure could have done with a campaign to warn me about that one/protect my health wink

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

tiathefairymember
42 posts

Posted:
in the auzzie big issue (a magazine that the homeless/long term unemployed sell) there was an article a few months back about how it's unwise to make all drugs seem as bad as each other, they are putting coke on the same line as weed on the same line as heroin etc so when teens try weed they go, well that didn't harm me, everything else will be fine.

it was really quite interesting to see the psychological aspect of their point of view.

if i ever find the article on the net i'll let you know

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Exactly I couldn't agree more. This is soooo true.

I went to a 'A Policeman Explains' for parents at my daughter's school that was a total joke. Mr P. kept using this generic term 'drugs' to cover everything. (I mean here, even ganga ranges from mild bush giggleweed to skunky hydro monsters that are like 30 times stronger enough to blow your brains out)

That got me riled up enough. Then a parent asked how would they know if kids were smoking dope at a party. He made a little joke (I think) about red eyes and eating all the Twisties. (dunno if you have them elsewhere, they're a naff snackie ting with spray on flavour) A confused parent asked later *what was that reference to Twisties about* and the copper started pratting on about how "it must be something to do with that drugs give you hallucinations!!!!"

I couldn't contain myself any more, stood up and gave a brief lecture on the physiology of the munchies. Later collared the copper in the carpark and told him I thought his 'lecture' had increased the collective ignorance of those parents to danger point. I think my words were *I could just smack you for that, what a wasted opportunity* He blushed apologised shuffled his feet and mumbled off. Sheesh. At least I got to abuse a copper for once in my life!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Yeah, the ads are ridiculous. My favourite was this one where these two kids are smoking pot, and sitting on either side of this guys desk, and then one kid pulls open a drawer, removes a loaded handgun with no safety on it, points it at the other kid and shoots her. Then it says in big letters "Marijuana Kills."

I don't understand people.

Good drug education is watching Trainspotting or Requiem for a Dream. Those movies have made me decide needle drugs were bad, I'm sure they could help other people reach the same conclusion!

But real education on the consequences is probably the best thing we could ask for. With the appropriate parts emphasized. Some people could really use that, some people will ignore it regardless, but at least they'll trust us, the ones who are smart.

/end rant

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
I only *just* watched 'requiem for a dream'... completely agree... that and 'trainspotting' are the best hard drug prophylactic device I've seen...

It's a real shame we (collectively, society) can't truly educate people, rather than exaggerate and/or just plain make things up. The "dark side" of illicit drug use truly is scary stuff. Why not just tell the truth...?

Although, in the case of your policeman "friend" gabe, the truth was clearly not told, because he was clueless... the most dangerous kind of education of all.

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
I remember watching drug documentaries in health lessons at high school, on a different drug every week. They were really interesting, very informative and unbiased. If anything though they made me more interested in them. I went to a decent private school.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

I think the austalian government's blanket ban on drugs is around about the most ineffective anti-drug campange i've ever met. banning drugs has never stopped anyone from taking them, all it's ever done is send it underground where it can't be regulated, look at prohibition in the 1920s, all that happened was people started making "moonshine" in their back yards.

prevention's all well and good, if we can stop a few kids from taking drugs in the first place, using scare tactics and whatnot, great. But that's not gonna stop all of them, nor does it help the ones who have already started.

What would be more affective than banning would be leagalising. Then consumers will most likely stop going to dodgy dealers, because they can get stuff from reputable dealers in nice little sterile packets with ingrediant listings and directions. The drugs can be regulated/controlled/quality assured by the government, and they can be taxed! (why our government hasn't thought of that i don't know, they've figured every other way to raise revenue).

Not only all that, but it takes away part of the initial appeal, it's not naughty and rebellious anymore.

but failing that, the most effective anti-drug education i've had was from my friends... they were actually attempting to... well i'm not sure really... but anyways, i'd had a couple beers and above mentioned friends gave me a bit (ok, alot) of a certain herb and i ended up being sick in a bush for three hours... i'll never touch the stuff again...

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Most people are sick the first time they smoke cannabis.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

ok... and they go back for more why?

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Really are people sick the first time? I have never heard or seen of that before. Heroin, yesm, but not grass... makes me wonder what horrid polluted cut skunk poor FOx got fed....

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FoxInDocs

ok... and they go back for more why?

God knows, cannabis sucks smile

"Moo," said the happy cow.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Could just be that it's usually mixed with tobacco, and it may be someone's first time smoking that too, but I've heard from several people that they've been sick the first time, and had the same experience myself.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Truly. Points to that we are all different indeed. I know I have felt quite unwell after the odd toke on some *nasty hydro skunky* stuff and that's after 30 years playing with it. Which brings me back *on topic*

One good ad lately here was a shot of a guy smoking *something* with other people and laughing. Then another where the person was clearly distressed and spooked and leavingthe group looking paranoid etc..

The slogan was.. *you never know how it will affect you...*

Mind you the best way to spot a stoned driver is they're the one doing 20 in a 60 zone....

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
There are some good anti-tobacco ads on our telly at the moment.
One has a bloke coming out onto the stairs of a building and being offered a fag by his work colleague. He is about to take it and a football team appears on the street below doing a sort of haka chant "NO GARY NO GARY NOOOOOOO GARY" and all cheering when he refuses.
Another one has a girl going to a party, all dressed up nice, meeting different people. Every time she sees someone smoking they look fusty and vague. She looks clear and bright has a happy smile that she is free...

They are modelling happiness and success in being free of the addiciton rather than the pain of continuing...

The_Magnesium_Masterjourneyman
97 posts

Posted:
When I was at high school the science teachers did a series of talks that told exactly of all the then known consequences of drugs and their legal relatives. About 70% of the people stayed away or reduced there use of them as a result, and the rest were all the real dickhead types who never lisen to advise anyway. Anti drug propaganda only needs to be aimed at this small group because the health consequences are sufficient deterent for most people.

Even seing most of their friends turn into lying theiving scum of the earth types within about 4 weeks of getting into grass failed to stop most of my mates getting into it themselves. They think it wont happen to them. Thank god I saw them meet the same fate as those they used to laugh at only a month ago. I have never used drugs in my life , directly as a result of seing what smoking pot did to most of my mates, the speed in wich it happened and the fact most of that lot all progressed onto injecting amphetamines being on the dole and even developing schizophrenia.

Anti drug campaigns that show the truth help encorage smart people to avoid drugs, but the best anti drug advertisment is to just look at those who do use drugs and learn from their mistakes. I can truley say that the high proportion of fire twirlers that seem to use drugs without these effects are an exeption, not the norm, especially when it comes to young teenagers getting into smoking grass.

True, most of these ADULTS seem relatively normal in spite of smoking it and dont seem to suffer permanent personallity changes as a result , but be under no illusion TEENAGERS AND GRASS DO NOT MIX

The other thing that seemed to reinforce the anti drug sentiments of the sober living new set of mates I aquired was waching someone light a trail of magnesium and condies crystals explosive directly with a lighter (It is a white hot fire flash about a metre across , many times brighter than arc welding and with a mushroom cloud of poisonous fumes). Everyone knew being near it would result in injury, as did the druged up fool who lit it and burned himself in the process. I dont know what he was on, but he also had the flame of the lighter going up his hand up to 10 seconds without noticing it , giving him a 3rd degree burn aswell.

I guese convincing people to avoid drugs is like telling people not to fire breath. those that dont lissen are realy good examples to others who see them set their face alight or die of ARDS.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
************BUMP************
I'm bumping this up because the antidrug campaign just keeps gettting worse.

These are my tax dollars at work, telling kids that "the safest thing in the world" is doing drugs.

I don't get it.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
i never thought i'ed say this but thats one of the best anti drug adds i've seen.

its honist and it picks out the real reason why you dont wanta smoke to much weed.

if you do you sit around stoned off your ass when you could be doing something more intresting and exciteing smile

hopefully more anti-drug adds will be like this instead of just lieing there ass off about the dangers biggrin

Thank god I saw them meet the same fate as those they used to laugh at only a month ago. I have never used drugs in my life , directly as a result of seing what smoking pot did to most of my mates, the speed in wich it happened and the fact most of that lot all progressed onto injecting amphetamines being on the dole and even developing schizophrenia.

WOW eek your experiance has been very diffrent from mine of my friends who do smoke weed most started at 16 or earlyer and non have resorted to stealing most have good jobs. the two bigist drugies of the group one of whos motos was "take more" (and he lived by it) ended up going to oxford university and the other got into cambridge univeristys. i met alot of weed smokers a university almost all have got degrees most now have jobs. i can't think of a single person i know whos resorted to steeling to fund there weed habit most are lovely frendly outgoing people. most of them just want cut down abit so they get more done and dont spend so much time sat about on the couch!!!
EDITED_BY: robnunchucks (1166811256)

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Talk about your mixed messages.......

We had the same type of ad up here in Canada a few years ago, only the lack of motivation in out as stretched out over years, rather than a measly 11 hours.

Our governments would do us a better service by teaching us how to smoke weed properly, something I took about a decade to figure out for myself. It's all about dosage, and the law of diminishing returns.

Page: