Forums > Help! > Spinning in da winter

Login/Join to Participate

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
Hey its gettin pretty chilly in my neck of the woods and I was wondering if people have any ideas where I should try and practice my spinning. Tonight my girlfriend and I are going to try and practic at the local crappy strip mall but the security people are tightassed and probably will give us a hard time. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Peace, Love, Circles

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I feel ya buddy. Gettin chilly round here too. Last winter I mostly just practiced inside. It sucks but theres not much that can be done during the winter. Even if you find a good place outside, its often too cold to really get into it. Could always migrate south for the winter if that doesnt suffice.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
Oh if I only was able to migrate. Hmmm if only if I could fly. Hmmmmmm I wouldn't want to be a bird though, I hate birds, (damn cockatoo's I hate the things, evil birds, tricky as hell, trick me into letting them hold my finger then try and pull my finger to their beaks, bastards,). Hmmmmmmm I would like to be a loon though I like them. Wow thats a bit off track but anyways has anybody had any luck asking churches or schools about letting youuse their facility's forspinning when youneed them?

Peace, Love, Circles

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
We were doing some winter spinning in the rain on the coast the other day with a strong wind. YOu can't do loads, sure, but if you get yourself nice and strecthed before you go out and wrap up loads until you actually wanna spin you can buy yourself twenty minutes-half an hour's worth of quality spinning. Get some gloves and a hat and put on a few very thin layers.

We tend to work more on just arm-stuff.. no real movement of the rest of the body to speak of, besides turns! But it was good, and productive. And fun biggrin And I found shells, which is only gonna be a bonus!

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Why don't you see if you can hire a hall or something, if you have enough interest from local spinners etc...

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Written by: Rovo

...strip mall...

I like the sound of that.

smile

And never underestimate the power of isolated buzzsaws in the winter time.

They are sent by God I assue you.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ditto

Getting to the other side smile

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
The interest of local spinners includes my girlfriend and myself so renting a hall is out of the question for now pink. I didn't get to try the strip mall last night it was too late before I could get there and then went and played pitch. I might try going there during the day today to see if i get kicked out.

Peace, Love, Circles

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
i always find a class room that isnt being used at college. you get wierd looks occaissionally, but hell its not cold so i dont really give a beep. x

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I think the cold weather is what encouraged us to use more fire on our props. There can be snow on the grownd, but with a few of us spinning, the local area warms up. So I suggest trying more fire and more spinners. biggrin

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
agreed cody =]

but then again, it dosen't snow in reno *cough* ;]

for the winter i'm working with my college to start a juggling club so we could all meet in the Gym. no fire, but still nice and warm.

there are a few things that you can do to prepare yourself for snow spinning tho.

1) boots. good waterproof boots with nice wool socks. most people forget that snow has a tendancy to melt when you're standing in it, and cold soggy feet can really ruin your evening.

2) as was already stated, multiple thin layers. you might want to bundle up with a big fluffy coat, but it'll get in the way of your dancing and is much more likely to catch fire (and ruining a $100 coat at the start of winter is a bad idea)

3) good gloves. get some deerskin hunters gloves. they give you great tactile response and flexibility, but still keep you warm and dry.

4) hand-e-heaters. you know, those little air activated chemical heat bags to stick in your pockets. they really help.

5) plenty of water. because nothing can dry you out faster than physical exhertion in the cold.

and 6 is optional) bonfire. if you have the option of a communal fire everyone can gather around, use it. not only is it warm, but it's also alot more fun =]

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
I'm not worrying about spinning fire in the winter. Key word fire. I should have been more clear. I need to find a place to practice with a little bit of space thats inside. It doesn't need to be toasty just enough to to only need a hoodie. If I can find the money to spare to get a membership at the Y i could probably go there whenever

Peace, Love, Circles

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
are you enrolled in any school? (highschool, college, whatever?)
use the gym =]

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
I am not currently enrolled in any school but last night I did spin at the "wonderful" strip mall in my "awesome" town. (quotations indicate sarcasm) Everything went fine my girlfriend and I weren't kcked out and people stopped and watched, there was even a little nook that can fit the both of us spinning where we can't get in anyone's way. Hopefully when I go back during the day I won'trun into any hassles.

Peace, Love, Circles

GoodSILVER Member
55 posts

Posted:
I'm trying to find a place in our valley to spin fire, quasi-indoors. I've been calling the horse arenas and rec. departments in neighboring towns. The conversation usually goes " I bet I've got a question you've never been asked..." I'd really like to get a warehouse, maybe an airplane hangar (ooh, nice fuel supply, too!) Rovo, where in Upstate you at? I was born in Saratoga Springs. I feel for your strip malls...

take the schneak-tip

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
Saratoga Springs is about 45 minutes from here. I live in Johnstown. Home of Sir William Johnson. Yippee. Since your from the Saratoga area you think it would be possible to busk on like Broadway in Saratoga during the summer?

Peace, Love, Circles

GoodSILVER Member
55 posts

Posted:
I'd sure try it! Saratoga's a pretty liberal place- Maybe spin out at Spac, too. I used to x-c ski race in Johnstown. Luckily I'm better at poi than I ever was at racing! Imiss it there, only sometimes. mmm, the whippin' post in the State Park...I actually grew up in Round Lake, wedy wedy likkle

take the schneak-tip