Page:
ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
sooooooo having had the chance to spin in front of a mirror last night for the first time in ages i realised that i dont find my staff to be particuallary pretty, stalls not horizontal enough planes being all over the show, lack of bodymovement when doing contact, incomplete understanding of the flow of movement, movements being awkward in that the body adjusts itself around the staff to pull the movement off rather than the body knowing where the staff is going as if it where an extension of the body. short of donning some baton twirling tights and rote learning movements in a fixed path im looking for a way to find the flow and rythem of complete body movements for staff. any suggestions? anyone that has seen me spin feel free to offer constructive criticism of my movement

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

minimaniacThe Ladiees Man
360 posts

Posted:
so if you can dance it would look better! cool i need to learn to dance

I'm going to leave the army and run away to the circus

if not i will just become a MI5 agent !!!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
if i ever learnded anythings about staff fwirling,
it's that if you want grace, wear no undies.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Or wear Bender's undies. After all, he's not using them...

Meh

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I find dancing with staff or any prop difficult because I have to be able to coordinate my lower body (hips, knees, feet) for dancing, coordinate my upper body (shoulders, arms hands) for staff, and some how at the same time coordinate it all together.

Everyone says put down your staff/s and pick up a dance class. Then in a year or two and it’ll be sweet. But does social dancing have any affinity to prop dancing? Do we need dance lessons?

We have all somehow managed to develop the coordination and skill to learn staff, then why can’t we teach ourselves to dance, dance with a staff? After all, feet are just props, and dance is just moving around to the flow and rhythm of music.

smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

whitehawknewbie
23 posts

Posted:
im completely self tought at the staff and body movement

and i get quite a few comments on how smoothe and flowing my staffing is rolleyes
i guess im just a bit wierd biggrin

but yeah, on the topic, try some dance classes, and yeah

i dunno

im a noob

360 posts

Posted:
hey ive got myself a dance teacher and she is going to watch lots of staff vid so she can get the style of dance we have to use, so what type of style would you call the movements we use when we spin staff?

360 posts

Posted:
also where is the best place to get videos from?

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
from the vidoes page [Old link]

There's a tiny bit of staff in Strange Things Happen (shameless fairy wink ) Just have a browse through some of the vid threads and I'm sure you'll get what you want smile

Good luck

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i like the ones on
www.soton-firespinning.co.uk
have a hunt through the videos forum theres looooooooads of stuff in there, i suggest getting the one of miss fluffy napalm fairy as she has very nice movement and a fluid style

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

rifionmember
19 posts

Posted:
Get really good music in an mp3 jammed into your ears. Find a quiet lonely open place and just rock out. Think tom cruise in Risky business. Don't let yourself worry about what it looks like, just feel it. Once your rocking, then start throwing in the tech shtuff.

I used to be an all degree of difficulty, techy, try to blow minds guy. I had no flow, no footwork.

Then after a show at the OCF, I was sitting back watching the "non-pro's" spin in an open jam. This one girl caught my eye, as i had been working with her all week, and she had just started lighting up. She was way in the back, just doing a simple, kinda sloppy single 8, rocking back and forth to the beat of the drummers.

But she had this look of joy on her face, and she was so into the movment and the moment and the music, that i broke down a little. Because I felt that in that moment, that all my trickery and flashy stuff was just to bring the people to see her, a true master. I still get a little choky about even now.

Well enough therapy for me, I hope you get what I'm saying. I'll leave with a saying.

"You ever notice the people who dance the worst, look like they're having the most fun?".

Page: