Page:
ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I have been thinking about this for a while..
My breathing has been a little laboured and I have had some horrible coughing recently after spinning...
Now we used to use Kero, but we decided to stop and have only been using firesol as fuel for quite some time. I have been thinking that the coughing is coming directly from the fumes, because the next day I am waking up feeling dodgey (heavy chest, black boogies.... eewwwww)
I wonder what the long term consequences of spinning might be? I love to spin, but to me using Glow just isnt the same as having the flame whirling around your head...
Plus people who dont spin get into our car and go "wow! smell that fuel!"
Arsn and I look at each othr surprised, because we just dont smell it at all anymore. eek frown
I dont firebreathe and I dont spin everyday, so I am a bit concerned about what this is doing to us.... frown
any ideas?

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

The_Magnesium_Masterjourneyman
97 posts

Posted:
D 60 (and anything else refered to as saturated aliphatic hydrocarbon in the MSDS) is ment to be saturated aliphatic hydrocarbon. This is a straight (or posibly mostly straight or at least free of double bonds and unsaturated rings) chain totally hydrogenated substance ment to be of relatively low toxicity unless inhaled as a liquid, similar to butane, propane and shellite. the oudor in kero, turps, petrol etc is usually aromatic hydrocarbon ( toxic unsaturated rings like benzene, xylene, etc) Once partially burned all soot is bad, and I know the MSDS even for propane sayes toxic iritating products (not just CO) are formed during incomplete combustion.

The unburned fuel mist from burn offs is by far my greatest concern, I only do them a few times a month now and always exhale and walk backwards during and just after these activities. I also spin the stick from low down to up to help dissipate the finer droplets with hot rising air currents. Consider how much a drop of fuel spreads out on water (or the inside of your lungs) and think how much mist is in the air. Sometimes I have developed a cough from not doing this and I would blame the fuel mist.

Valura, give up those dreadfull cancer sticks as the most probable cause of your early demise, they are going to destroy your entire body without fail, even twirling daily with turps will only destroy your lungs and then your heart, untill you get cancer and die. Smoking is going to ultimately destroy periferal circulation and degenerate every part of your body .

The more I think about this issue the more I avoid fire twirling in still air, stay upwind of the stick where possible, and generally avoid breathing fuel or it's combustion products.

Hopefully we are not going to all end up feeling like people who thought unprotected sex was ok in the 70's did once they heard about AIDS, or even worse find out how asbestos workers feel now knowing they are almost certainly stuffed from something they didnt think was a problem at the time.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
 Written by: The_Magnesium_Master

Valura, give up those dreadfull cancer sticks as the most probable cause of your early demise, they are going to destroy your entire body without fail, even twirling daily with turps will only destroy your lungs and then your heart, untill you get cancer and die. Smoking is going to ultimately destroy periferal circulation and degenerate every part of your body .

Adrain I am MOST upset with what you have said here for a few reasons.
Firstly this was written over two years ago when I WASNT smoking and it actually turned out to the Kero that was causing my sickness.

Secondly, who do you think you are commenting on my personal choices? If you want to lecture to me about my choice of starting smoking again, when I was at an extremely stressful time of my life, perhaps you could approach me at one of the many firemeets that we both go to, and Ill have the opportunity to tell you where to get off!
I have plenty to say to you about your appalling use of petrol, but to this point I have kept my mouth shut out of respect for your choices, even though your playing with your life.

censored censored censored censored mad2 soapbox

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

97 posts

Posted:
Sorry if I annoyed you , but I always like to exclude other causes of respiratory imparement when looking at fuel mist and fumes as the cause. Clearly in this case then there can now be no doubt that fumes and mist generated in the process of fire twirling are a substantial threat to health, and I will endevor to avoid them even more in future.

Dont think I tell others not to smoke just for their own benifit and to save them from the dreadfull diseases that have claimed or will eventually claim the lives of each and every member of my family that is (or used to be since most are now long dead) a smoker and take the attendant abuse and persecution in my stride for the benifit of humanity alone, Even though that is my main motivation I also have entirely selfish motives aswell. Every cigarette sold results in money being used to try and adict my yet non existant offspring to this noxious evil product, and my hatered of these companies is even greater than for Mc Donalds and the like. There is almost no greater honour than being persecuted for speaking the truth as to the evils of tobacco or the companies that sell it , and I thank you greatly for taking the oppertunity to do so.

Several people have interpreted a recent post of mine to imply that I Regularly breathed fire with petrol for many years in total safety . THIS IS NOT TRUE PETROL IS GUARENTEED TO SET YOU ON FIRE if you firebreath with it. This post is now explained clearer. You are quiet right to have bad things to say about me corrupting people with fatal avice if you got that impresion

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
Valura smoked/smokes?

didn't see that one coming.

Methinks that using a filter for airborne aprticulate matter of an organic nature, one of those canistery ones, should help a lot. If you can, go to a tool shop or a safety gear store, not a hardware store, and see if they've got anything of that sort. I say not a hardware store because generally, they;re pretty crusty at that sort of thing. Only downside is, the ones i'm thinking of cost up to about $100 for the mask, and the canisters are about $20, i think.

A double canister filter might be a bit of overkill, might not. It'd come down to what you felt worked best. A reputable brand for these sorta things it sündstrom.
This sort of thing should be ideal, i think.
This, however, is a little over the top, methinks...

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
OMG i so want the overkill one!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
 Written by: The_Magnesium_Master

Sorry if I annoyed you , but I always like to exclude other causes of respiratory imparement when looking at fuel mist and fumes as the cause. Clearly in this case then there can now be no doubt that fumes and mist generated in the process of fire twirling are a substantial threat to health, and I will endevor to avoid them even more in future.

Dont think I tell others not to smoke just for their own benifit and to save them from the dreadfull diseases that have claimed or will eventually claim the lives of each and every member of my family that is (or used to be since most are now long dead) a smoker and take the attendant abuse and persecution in my stride for the benifit of humanity alone, Even though that is my main motivation I also have entirely selfish motives aswell. Every cigarette sold results in money being used to try and adict my yet non existant offspring to this noxious evil product, and my hatered of these companies is even greater than for Mc Donalds and the like. There is almost no greater honour than being persecuted for speaking the truth as to the evils of tobacco or the companies that sell it , and I thank you greatly for taking the oppertunity to do so.

Adrain this thread isnt about smoking, nor my personal choices

Hows about you stay on topic and stop trying to justify your condescending lecturing on my smoking. You say you feel honoured by being PERSERCUTED because of your anti smoking views? My my... what a martyr!

Thanks Mig darling hug

97 posts

Posted:
Ive used one of those organic vapour masks with a P2 filter in line with the cartridge to strip paint and paint the house. They are realy efective, but fire spinning in one would be very difficult once you start wanting a lot of air. The acid gas /organic vapour combination cartridge is extreamly good. I once had one on durring a serious spontanious ignition mishap preparing an ice cream bucket of sulphur mixed with slightly damp pool chlorine. This caused the running evacuation of all persons for about 60M surrounding it but I did not smell a thing at only about 5M away, and nearly choked on just a sniff of air without the mask. Anything that stops that has got to be good.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I have pretty much lost my sense of smell since I started spinning fire too. I can't smell paraffin or any other fuel (including cooking gas and petrol) and have problems when trying to diferentiate between smells.

I've been a smoker for a few years but since I've been performing (poi, staff and fire breathing) I've noticed I'm getting athsma like symptoms. I'm not or wasn't athsmatic although I do wonder if going to the doctors and getting checked over to see if I've become athsmatic is a wise idea. Its quite probable that the smoke combined with the excess paraffin and the reduced levels of oxygen in the air are causing the symptoms. I was relatively fit due to Rock climbing, Tae Kwon Do and other similar activities but the shortness of breath etc have forced me to cut down on things like that. I wonder if taking a few months out of fire performance will make any difference.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

Page: