Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The Sunday Sessions - Spinny, Juggly, practise night, Guildford

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Well, in addition to [Old link] there is now going to be a new weekly meeting in Guildford.

Every Sunday, from 2 - 6pm in the Stoke Pub back room.

Happy Thursdays are still going to run and will be the "fire night" or, if it's raining, the "pub night" wink

The Sunday Sessions are more practise orientated- as it's difficult to practise and impossible to teach/learn in the dark and not particularly fun in the rain smile

The plan is to have fairly regular workshops teaching everything from the basics to the not-so-basics - so any volunteer teachers, step forward biggrin

We're looking for as much variety as possible inside, hopefully will get some jugglers (ewwwww wink ), devil-stickers, diaboloists etc. down.

Entrance fee is £3 which covers renting the back-room.

The first one will be Sunday, November the 7th and then hopefully it will be every week. At the moment, I'm thinking this might just be for the Autumn-Winter period, but if it's popular (and the pub are fine with it) it could stay smile

Hope to see some of you there smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Ok, Forgive me if I'm being really stupid, But are the Thursday sessions still going as well, or are people shying away from the cold?

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
No - they're still running I think, I haven't been myself though as I'm working silly hours at the moment frown

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
spangly new toys you say? biggrin

which one is the stoke pub? is it anywhere near stoke park? umm

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
might have to poke my head in this week as i missed weeky spin in brixton. although will depend on weather am still dying or not.

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

ParafinfairySILVER Member
old hand
845 posts

Posted:
Dub - yes its fairly near Stoke park. Closer to the college though. If you can get to Guildford tec car park you turn left (if you're coming out of the carpark) and go under the bridge and the pub is literally on your right. So you're coming??

T&B - I definately think you should come, would be cool to see you again. Oh and I've taken up doubles, so I'll show you my one move that Durbs showed me last week!!!

biggrin

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
thanks lex i know where you mean. i'm gettin back on sat so it looks like i'll be coming now. tim would be wicked to see you too mate.... biggrin

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Chris your a Cobhamer if i remember rightly if so and you can direct me do you fancy a lift? Also think laura should be back in these parts so will hassle her into coming too.

looking forward to it. c u all sunday

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
and my new toys...

passing through, this world still lives.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Ok, what a fun evening that was!! I've ben doing extensive calculations, and next sunday is the cheeky boxing day. I'm presuming there'll be nowt 'appening then. The following Sabbath is the 2nd January. People up for that one? If it happens, that'll be the only other one I can make before I go back to uni on the tenth, and I believe there were some people that were after a little inspiration with a devilstick...

Oh, and Lex, Don't worry, I saw you complete 2bags' challenge...

Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Be Water My Friend.

old hand
845 posts

Posted:
Thank you!! I'm up for 2nd Jan - not sure if we have the room booked or not but it would be cool because all the people who go miles to uni will still be around...
smile

I need it..... Trust me!

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Any word on whether we have the place on the 2nd yet?

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Yeeeeeeeeeeesssss!

The room is available! Durbs was gonna call the stoke to confirm it. Whether or not He's actually done it I don't know.... Durbs?

Be Water My Friend.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
*looks sheepish*

Er, not yet smile

Baa

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
spank

Bad Durbs. Naughty boy. You've been playing with your balls again, haven't you? biggrin

Be Water My Friend.

tozGOLD Member
34 posts

Posted:
Hi guys! Happy new year, etc, etc. Is there going to be some pub spinning action this Sunday (9th)!? Could certainly do with the practice! And the pub's no bad thing either...

Tom bounce2

old hand
845 posts

Posted:
Hello! Not seen you for a while! Happy New Year! Yes indeed there is some spinning action on Sunday and for the *really* hardcore spinners maybe some fire after on Stoke Park??? but I guess that depends on the lovely English weather!!! smile

I need it..... Trust me!

old hand
845 posts

Posted:
Just found out that its off tonight frown. I only found out yesterday by accident when I was in there - otherwise they wouldn't have even told us! So sorry and hopefully see people on Thursday?? smile

I need it..... Trust me!

tozGOLD Member
34 posts

Posted:
Ha ha, no worries Lex! Was slightly confused when I turned up at the Stoke only to be find an elderly person's Salsa class in full swing...! umm

Can't make tonight (Thurs) since I'm going bowling of all things, for a friend's birthday. But if you or anyone else fancies an open air spin on Sunday just me know!

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
sorry - I'm lame as usual.. but in my defence I was chatting to someone about a gig smile :o)

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Right - we have the room this Sunday 6th March

And I shall expect a nice big turnout as there hasn't been one for 3 weeks.

So, from 2-6pm, and then we can all have a jolly burn afterwards if it's not too cold biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
What's the deal with this 2 til 6 thing?

also, just to let you guys know that I'll be coming home next friday, and I want to have lots of spinny, juggly fun.

I have a couple of new (to me) isolations to submit for your approval, Mr Durbs, and wanna learn a bit of contact staff too!!

I guess stuff's gonna be happening on the 13th?

Be Water My Friend.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
There's a Salsa class that now use it from 6pm and as they pay more than 20 times what we give the pub we can't really argue...

But it's actually quite a nice time, leaves plenty of time after for fire spinning, and people seem to have more energy earlier in the afternoon too so they're more active (Apart from Lex who just sits in the corner farting)

(I love you really Lex ubbangel )

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

old hand
845 posts

Posted:
Durbs you're a pavement licking, bin rumaging, cigerette butt smoking, three-toed sloth!!!! Lucky its a family board wink

P.S. You're crap at poi wink

(I love you really Paul ubbangel )

I need it..... Trust me!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Sorry I couldn't hear that - your words were muffled by the chicken and ham pie you have in your mouth tongue

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Written by: Parafinfairy

P.S. You're crap at poi wink

Glad you think so too wink

Ill be there on sunday afternoon biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

old hand
845 posts

Posted:
Was good to see everyone - glad to see that the Guildford people are still turning up to their own meets!!!!! wink

I need it..... Trust me!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yo yo yo - so what happened? Did I miss much?

Good turnout?
Did someone collect the money and organise some tunes in my absence?

I can assure you I had a lot less fun in Bristol...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Well Durbs i must say that in your absence that we managed fine!

Sorted money and we even sorted tunes, although they were not as good as your selection as they were wired in from the pub rolleyes

As for spinning, we spun from 3 till 6 then hit another pub...........

Cantus seemed quite at home, said it was much like one of the manchester spins, you know...... sat in a pub wink

**makes mental note to go to manchester**

ubblol

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
If by "good turnout" you mean 6 people, then yes, it was a good turnout! Fewer targets for my erratic unicycling, at least biggrin

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

tozGOLD Member
34 posts

Posted:
Yeah, Sunday was really nice. Just gutted I didn't manage to turn up before 4, despite living 3 minutes walk away! My bad...

Come on James, there was one point when there were a whole 7 peeps there! clap tho it did only last for about 20 mins...

Are people definitely going down for the Opera House on the 19th yeah? If so, am very tempted to join you, sounds like fun! By all accounts the new Saturday nights there are pretty stomping... Would be a good chance for me to pop home and see the folks as well, since I come from Ye Olde Town of Wimborne...

take it easy,
Tom
beerchug

Page: ......