Forums > Social Chat > Where did u get that name.............

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
WildChildmember
43 posts

Posted:
Let's see now: we know most of each other's ages........wouldn't the elucidation of our nicknames make for some gripping bedtime reading? ------------------*WC*

*8*WildChild*8*

Stumpymember
10 posts

Posted:
okay i'll be the first, subject to popular belief my nickname is all about my height...and nothing else!!is wildchild self-explainatory?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
"Pele": (pronounced pay-lay) Polynesian goddess of Volcanos and Fire, though I have found other pronunciations and meanings thanks to the boards! It is also a volcano on the island of Martinique, where my best friend is from, and so the name was adopted thusly. Besides, it just fits me more than Starlinn or Lynnie, which is actually my real name and another nickname.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

WildChildmember
43 posts

Posted:
WildChild: (pronounced "wailt tjailt" -heh-heh)
Non-Https Image Link
The title of (one of) my "bible(s)":WildChild by Linda Ashcroft. She was Jim Morrison's soulmate - his friend, muse, lover and confidante.........and you thought it was Pamela Courson?!
Non-Https Image Link
Stumpy:I believe you.........................
Non-Https Image Link
------------------*WC*

*8*WildChild*8*

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
Once again, this is going to be rawther long-winded, as I can't seem to explain anything without using at least 200-300 words. Please feel free to skip on to something a bit more concise... (sp?)I tend to take my performance names from persons/things I admire. When I started working at BE, I had been using the name "Rain" (the name of a very handsome male friend of mine) but because the club already had a performer (a very good one) using the name "Reigna" (which sounded VERY similar coming out of the DJ's mouth) I had to choose something else. If you haven't already noticed, I love Pitt Bulls, and since my own has a name that isn't exactly appropriate for an "exautic dancer" (That is **such** a pretentious term. It makes me giggle every time I hear it applied to me.) I decided to name myself after a friend's Pitt. (For those who don't already know, my dog's name is Mama. Now just imagine trying to cuddle up with a stripper named Mama. Wouldn't that just make you feel dirty??? My next choice for a stripper name was Je Jeune, but the manager of the club just had NO sense of humor...) I decided to be Jezebel. A bitch of Biblical Proportions... And literally as well. The first night I performed, my sense of flash and style impressed many of my audience members, and some of them are still my loyal customers to this day. Unfortunately, the DJ (who wasn't the most literate person on earth, and didn't know who or what a Jezebel was...) messed up my name and called me Jezze by mistake. My enthralled audience heard "Jesse" and the name has stuck ever since. At first I was mad, but then after experimenting a bit with the spelling, (I didn't want anything that could be written with a heart over an "i" or a super-cutsey curlique "y" for god's sake.) I relaxed. Jesse I will remain until I have a manager who's either dumb enough, or amused enough to let me be Je Jeune, Passe, or even... Cliche!(I know... My sense of humor is a bit odd, but there is nothing better than being self-entertained!)I can't wait until I have grandchildren/nieces/nephews to tell these stories to!

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
HEY in case you are wondering Simos (pronounced Seemos) is my real name - i never bothered to find a nickname since Simos sounds like a nickname to most people here anyway grin....let alone my friends taking the piss in electronic engineering lectures since my name is pronounced exactly the same as CMOS (complementary metal oxide semiconductor) + let alone the fact that there is now another technology called Bi-CMOS, which amuses my friends even more (and pisses me off) smilehappy swinging,Simos[This message has been edited by Simos (edited 10 March 2001).]

gάrbǿ²addict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
garbo,well. surname is Garbutt. Have had this nickname for years and years and years and years(no exageration) with some variations of it aswell, garb, garbs, garby and gabage have also been used.I like garbo. it actually means (garb)the cloths that someone wears is there garbo. Strange, I like it. smileWHO'S NEXTPeace out garbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
My given name is Diana. My mom's called me Diana the Huntress as long as I can remember, after the destroyer aspect of Diana. I'm also a Virgo, a "mutable" sign, a quality that parallels the destroyer aspect. Not bad nicknaming coming from an atheist. wink

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
Well, I'm a boy, and I live for danger. Seriously though, I first heard reference to Dangerboy on Aeon Flux (an amazing animated series if your into future sci-fi techno thriller action superspy BDSM where the main character is a cold-hearted dominatrix with amazing hair). She's planting bombs and doing backflip or something and singing the Dangerboy song to herself. I managed to find it on the web (huzzah for the web) and imbedded it on my page on the Hayo Bola site. Get an earfull at https://www.geocities.com/hayobola/players/morgan/morgan.htmpeace
out.

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

tekknogurrlBRONZE Member
90 posts

Posted:
mine is *pretty* self-explanatory methinks. i'm a girl, and i like techno music, hence "tekknogurrl", which was the only close-to-phonetic spelling i could find that wasn't taken already on AOL IM.

~K~No matter what you do, one billion Chinese won't care.

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Mmmmmm I love Aeon Flux, she is awesome.. :PMine has been this from about 96 when i started chatting...gotta love irc. . .

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

ALIBABAmember
52 posts

Posted:
the full version of this nickname is actually.ALIBABACHICKENMANICANSEEYOURUNDERWEARmy given name is ali, i have had other nicknames including "royster 5 9" and "rose" (my surname) but ali is the name i go by in life. the latest arrival on my nickname scene is "haggis" as i am scottish and currently live in england.last year i worked in hong kong for a charitiy/educational establishement called "outward bound". i ran a lot of courses some in cantonese (which i speak badly) the kids always ended up calling me alibaba or else mr.Lee (as in A. Lee) then a little girl on a course came out with alibabachikenman and from there somehow added icanseeyourunderwear and the other instructors just found it funny.ali

ALIBABACHICKENMANICANSEEYOURUNDERWEAR

Drakemember
72 posts

Posted:
well....my name is the real thing. yep Drake is my real name. it turns out though that i didnt have a name for about a week or two and was called "the baby". hahahaha. arg.DRAKE

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
(We can't resist talking about ourselves, can we??!!)flash fire: had it for about 3 years now. Much can be read into it, including the fact that I can (infrequently wink) be a flashy show pony and closet exhibitionist. I also can be quite intense in a range of emotions, offering an onslaught similar to that of a flash fire. Fire: well, hey - it don't take a genius to figure that one...I don't know why I chose to have all in lower case...just doesn't look right with capital F's.My friends call me flash (some add the extra ah ahh in there from that TV show, eh Finn?).PLUR------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Closet exhibitionist? I love it.Nickname-free, myself

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

emptysetmember
98 posts

Posted:
I got my nick name from a math term that is also called no-set and it shown with the character of a 0 with a slash through it. I'm a bit of a geek, and math and science have also interested my so i always found it interting to be called something that is nothing, actually less nothing, since not even 0 is in the emptyset. its something that could almost never be fully explained in words only in mathmatical equations------------------bring light into the night

Its all in good, clean, light producing fun.

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
well my nick aint to origonal
Non-Https Image Link
well, i wont go into it roots of where it came from, but it was used for rockclimbing basicaly.in compitions they would read out smitty, and when people met me i said adam, and had no idea who i was, then they heard smitty, and new then, so most people know me as smitty these days, commen thing for someone to ask, smitty- whats ur real name.even at work when inroducing instructors or on the pay i was called smitty. then then my new freinds i spend my time with was introduced though a climbing mate, so they all know me as smitty, so i figure, why not get the fire twirling people of the world to know me as smitty.
Non-Https Image Link

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
Umm.... My last name is Tai...and...I'm a guy...sooo....iono, you do the math wink[actually, my friends were just playing around with my name one day in math class, and that's what came out of it]------------------"Happiness is not a destination, but a method for life"- Burton Hills

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

TheCleanermember
23 posts

Posted:
One day my boss, best friend and I were all talking about what we want to be when we grow up. I said I wanted to be refered to as ..pause..look around..(whisper).."The Cleaner". Like if you have a problem (read person) I'd take care of it (read him/her). And yes, Pele, the Labyrinth does come to mind when you say it. Cool in it's own reguard, I guess. [This message has been edited by TheCleaner (edited 09 March 2001).]

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Nothing sinister about my nicknameKat is for Kathryn and is one of my nicknames along with Kate,Kitty,Cait,Kyashi,Kit-Kat.Although until I was 5 I though my name was 'Greentowel', a nickname my Dad gave me.In retrospect though that nickname is quite normal. One of my friends nicknames is 'Queen of the Space Kittens'. I was discussing nicknames with friends a while back and the different nicknames we had when we were in school/work and how interesting it is that we have different nicknames for different friend groups. Kat ------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

Drakemember
72 posts

Posted:
ok fine, i have nick names too...so haha...hmmm. my karate instructor calls me Drake-ums... and then he usually does something to freak me out (ball-tap(for those of you that might be familiar with that term)). and then a couple of girls at karate call me Grak sometimes. there was this little girl there chloe who decided to write me a little letter, it read as follows:to Grak FrOm Chloetuh GraK or i Cill Youi believe it was supposed to read as follows:to Drake from Chloetouch Drake or i'll kill youcome on now, even i knew how to spell by the time i was seven. garsh. well, here's to the public school system.as for katafunk, well i do karate (if you didnt notice) and forms are called katas, and funk is well...funk, theres not a lot more to it.TADADRAKE

Tsumimember
32 posts

Posted:
I agree; Aeon Flux rules. smileAnd I didn't see the Labyrinth, so whenever I hear of the cleaner i think about Point of No Return (Bridget Fonda). ^^Anyway, Tsumi is short for Tsuminakihito, the nick (or perhaps full) name of a character in a story of mine. I have 5 nicks from characters I use, but Tsumi is the one I can usually count on to not be taken.Tsuminakihito = roughly "person without sin"...the nick given because of the manner of her birth. well, it's another, long, story.

WildChildmember
43 posts

Posted:
Well, Tsumi, if you're not too busy, I'm interested to hear 'bout this story. Really...for a reason.Drake:What's a "ball-tap"?......sounds kinky!!!(literally)
Non-Https Image Link
------------------*WC*

*8*WildChild*8*

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
My full name is Thistle Four-rings the Naughty Pixie, but nowadays most people call me Thistle Firepixie.It comes from me having pinkish/purpley spikey hair, a pointy pixie ear (only 1 tho, I'm Half human) and me being mischivous at parties. Also Thistle suits my personallity as I can be a bit spikey if not handled with care!! smile

Are we nearly there yet?

sprytemember
45 posts

Posted:
spryte just seemed to be perfect sounding for me. Its an elemental name ( Water spryte fire spryte....) Its also magical, unless you believe in them you just wont feel the magic smile I'm usually the quiet one in the room so I guess it seemed fitting.

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
i go in with the boring ones. ykaterina is my name, though no one in america seems to be able to say it, so my real daily name is katja - the common short form. in russia, every given name has prescribed lists of nicknames, which people use according to their relationship with you. for example, my partner would never say katja, cause that would be cold and insulting. it'd be terribly mean to do, even in a fight. usually kati on a daily basis, or katjinka if i'm sad. girl friends of long standing can say katusha on a regular basis, but a guy friend would only ever say that if i'm crying and he was chiding me gently...it goes on and on like that - there's about 25 prescribed shortenings, and that happens for every name in russian, and everyone knows all of them!! crazy system i guess, but i find it stunningly beautiful...

Tsumimember
32 posts

Posted:
ykaterina: that is lovely! ^_^Well in a nutshell WildChild, the girl is born within a group that has tried to deviate to form a society based on reason, and it's rather falling apart..the mother gets caught up in huge scandal and the baby is despised by the group...the mother names her that because she is sort of taking all the wrong of the society on herself but as a baby she is innocent...and perhaps its a protection so when those who despise her hear her name they might wonder for a second about the paradox...there's some religious stuff going on as well...eventually someone else realizes how the baby's victimization goes against all the most important principles of the society...needless to say, it's my last story about that particular society..anyway the girl grows up and the name suits her in other ways in other stories throughout her life, whether people call her by the full nick or the shortened nick which means the opposite.

Drakemember
72 posts

Posted:
well wildchild, ball-tapping a little form of tourture that my karate instructor came up with back when he had this rot weiler (sp??) who wasnt nuetered (sp again??). also the dog had no tail so his gear was very...obvious. and in karate you spend a lot of time working on fast hands and one part of that are finger flicks where you whip finger tips at your target and if you get it just right you can get the tips of your nails to make some stingy contact. ball-tapping is just fingerflicking someones crotch. he usually doesnt make contact but it sure is scary.DRAKE

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
so i am peregrine, the falcon, not peregrine the tolkein character. I have often been asked that. lots of years ago i was obsessed with birds of prey and peregrine was the coolest sounding name of the lot. theyre the second largest falcon in this country and in falconry were prized over all others except the white gyrfalcon. im not so interested in falconry anymore, because the best thing is to see a wild falcon stooping from invisibility in the sky onto a sandpiper or pigeon. theyre also rare and endangered(though not so rare in the last few years) from the whole DDT eggshell thinning which reminds you how even the strong can be vulnerable. theyve sort of become a totem bird although i also have other birds which are special to me (like new holland honeyeaters and eastern spinebills). peregrine also means 'to wander' in latin which pretty well describes my usual state of mind and my history of travelling (connecticut, maine, australia, new zealand, oregon, new york, arizona, ontario, vermont...and next?).not much to do with twirling, really.

SpaceCadetmember
9 posts

Posted:
Mine was given to me by my friends after working with the US Strategic Space Command.. my frieds refered to me as "SpaceCadet" as in Tom Corbit, Space Cadet from the 50's commic.heh

HephGOLD Member
79 posts

Posted:
I figured Hephaestos(Heff-EYE-stuss), the Greek god of fire who creates all sorts of beautiful things, would be kind of an obvious, and therefore boring choice. but i still like it. I'm greek, and i'm a classical studies major. There's also the fact that he's married to Aphrodite, which can't be all too bad.

Page: ...