fraggleSILVER Member
94 posts

Posted:
i was just wondering what everyone thought

what does this video mean to the community ?

what does it mean for the performers who get on the video ?

????question????????
weavesmiley

dance your cares away
worries for another day
so let the music play
down in fragle rock

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
COL is important because it is a study and representation of our subculture. It helps to develop an appreciation and understanding of firedancing's global scope. Firedancing has become a part of our shared larger human experience. As far as I know, COL is the only assembled international video collage, a window on the global firearts culture. It's a great contribution to the larger community. COL is also informative, educational and entertaining! As a participant I just hope to leave my mark :-)

I AM working.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
There's also the competitive element. COL is a worldwide thing, if you manage to get on it then, to some extent, you're fairly skilled.

And, though winning doesn't by any means make you the best in the world, it does mean that you're pretty good.

Plus, for the winner there's $1000 worth of spinning equipment, and, for those who perform, it's not going to look bad on the CV.

There's also the afformentioned aspects of contributing knowledge and ideas to the spinning community, but I feel that these are conveyed more by the many, many videos posted on the internet, as they are made up and posted for the sheer love of the art, and are free to anyone with an internet connection.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Written by: filthy assistant #1

COL is important because it is a study and representation of our subculture.

id have to disagree as far as the quality of the staffing on col 1-4 goes its definately not representative of the subculture, there was an ace doubles routine in a gym on one of them but theres lots of insane clean contact staff out there thats not on any of the cols to date
EDITED_BY: ben-ja-men (1096631058)

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Personally, not being from a big fire community, it's one of the only oppurtunities I get to see other people spinning, and the only chance I get to see top-quality spinning. It totally inspires me to watch those vids, and I think my style wouldn't actually have been a style if I hadn't seen what style was.

There's a lot of styles there. Nice.

I think it kicks arse. It's a shame there isn't more of a culture of videos and DVDs out there (well, not that I'm aware of - I mean beyond on-the-pc stuff) a la skateboarding... but COL is the closest there is to that for those of us without broadband! And it rocks.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
yah ben-ja men, too bad the best stuff often goes undocumented...
I meant COL's a cross-section of the fire pie (not a best-of) tho we all hope to see the insane stuff! You should send in some of that which you speak of: We make it what it is.

Oh, another thing it means for the performers! It seems to give some momentum... Sage impressed so much she got flown overseas to make her own video. Last year's winner Nick Woolsey did a poi workshop tour following the release of COL4 and just opened a poi studio! Also Pele's Element just released an instructional video. And so on... If you know of other people who've enjoyed greater success in fire from appearing on any COL please remind us here:

I AM working.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i was going to for col 5 but then i discovered double contact staff and stopped working on my single contact routine maybe next year if its polished enough by then

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
er... sage was a very succesful performer and performing overseas and all over the US well before (like a decade before) her video got sent into HoP (which she didn't actually do BTW, a friend of hers sent it and Sage didn't really know much about it at the time). so she can't really be used as a representitive of someone who has benifited from being on COL in my opinion. In fact, from what I know (though I admit I haven't really been keeping up with her), her fire performing career is not any better off than it was (mostly due to the heavy amount of increased competition - there weren't so many performers around 5 years ago when her group Tantien started to get big, and now they exist only in a de-facto sort of way - of course Arashi can correct me on any of this since he knows better).

anyway, I'm not meaning to rain on the COL thing - I just get tired of seeing sage misrepresented.

Otherwise I can't really comment because I've only seen COL 1 & 2...

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
I know a lot of this about Sage already, but are you saying that "Sage behind the flames" would've been made if her vid wasn't on COL (regardless of who actually mailed it in)? I got the impression from the description in the shop that it was made as a direct result of her col entry:

"In 2001 Sage won our video competition for her poi entry. We were very amazed with her skills and we wanted more. "

sorry but I don't think I misrepresented her.

rolleyes

I AM working.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: filthy assistant #1

I know a lot of this about Sage already, but are you saying that "Sage behind the flames" would've been made if her vid wasn't on COL (regardless of who actually mailed it in)? I got the impression from the description in the shop that it was made as a direct result of her col entry:

"In 2001 Sage won our video competition for her poi entry. We were very amazed with her skills and we wanted more. "

sorry but I don't think I misrepresented her.

rolleyes

no, I'm not saying that at all - what I said is that the video has very little to do with her success as a fire performer and that being on COL didn't make her scene. Frankly, I am kinda suprised she agreed to do the video as she often seems very reluctant to do those sorts of things. This has even made me wonder at Malcolm's persuasive abilities, which must be considerable.

Like I said before, in reality I barely know her. I've exchanged only a few sentences with her in person at local burningman events and spun beside her twice in all the 5 years I've known about her. I am friends with a couple of people who are friends with her (one of which is the person who introduced me to her and to fire performing), but I'm not friends with her myself. So I can't really go around saying she is one way or the other personality wise.

All I was really trying to say is that she is not a good example of a COL success story. her appearance on COL and then the subsequent video is a result of her success, not the other way around. I'm just arguing semantics I guess...

getting back on topic, I would think that COL is a format for people to get exposed to other styles and tricks developed in areas not acceable to them. Unfortunately, not having a video or DVD player (and only a CD-rom on my computer!), the COL videos are more or less inacceable to me and the only time I ever get to watch one is at a friend's house if they happen to own one and think of putting it in while I am around...

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
If I hadn't seen COL I'd wouldn't have heard of Sage, nor would any of my poi mates

Or bought Sage Behind The Flame, which most us have now

So if you look at her success in terms of notoriety/general knowledge of her/level of respect then it did loads for her in my area, at least

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

fraggleSILVER Member
94 posts

Posted:
do performers that get on the video get recongnition in the community >?

dance your cares away
worries for another day
so let the music play
down in fragle rock

LeifGOLD Member
56 posts

Posted:
I think the real recognition still comes from how your vids are are on COL, more so than getting on, in itself.

What else can I say? TamingFire.Com

fraggleSILVER Member
94 posts

Posted:
that would make a lot of scence thwe quality of your video more then just getting on it

dance your cares away
worries for another day
so let the music play
down in fragle rock

eddicted2dnbBRONZE Member
43 posts

Posted:
how do u go about gettin on COL???

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: eddicted2dnb

how do u go about gettin on COL???

Details here: -

https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/video_competition.php

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
hi

I'm with a day off......... thanksgiving, cleaning the house,,,,

time for a COL MARATHON!!!!!

hours and hours of uninterrupted and non-repeating poi videos spinning in the background of my world!!!!
ubbrollsmile

I AM working.