Forums > Other Toys > The official HOP juggling "I just learnt a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Well, seeing as we are starting to take over the

"Offical HOP "I just learnt a new move" thread", I thought we should contain this bit just to jugglerisng and the throwing and dropping of balls, clubs, rings and other miscellaneous juggling props.

Today I mothered learning 441.

I had a few throws of 531 but only 1 catch. I think my 5 is too high.

Note for the mods: I DEMAND on behalf of the jugglers on this site, as has been done with the aforementioned "Poi moves thread", that this one is made a sticky thread.

Otherwise its just favouritism really....

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
I might have to pass on that MNS, I don't fancy the guys at work seeing me using different sites to explicitly get round things they've blocked, I likes my job!

Should be able to go take a look tonight anyway - going round my mates who has the tinterweb smile

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Todays random achievements:

One 633 from overhead asynch 4 fountain (on each side).

Transitions from overhead synch 4 ball fountain into asynch and back again.

3 ball 3 up 360 into overhead throws.

Um... that's about it. I'm pretty ill at the mo'.

Oh, and I discovered that (6x,4)(2,4x) and its brethren are good training for (6x,4)(4,6x) and (6,4x)(4x,6).

Does anyone else find (6x,4)(4,6x) much easier than (6,4x)(4x,6), or is it just me?

Edit: Just managed two 'runs' of 11 catches of 5ball overhead cascade. This overhead business is like learning to juggle all over again. smirk
EDITED_BY: MiKe7 (1226277085)

Juggle 'til I drop!

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
If I did 6 consecutive 3 ball penguin catches into and out of regular catches does it count as a qualify?

... Cause that's what I did.

Juggle 'til I drop!

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
I..... still haven't been able to check out that video. I've not even been near a PC for a week. But tonight I promise I'll check it out! I might even have a go at creating a video of some machine variations - low quality off my phones camera though so be warned!

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Mike - what you're doing there is a reverse machine - the push across the top is in the opposite direction to normal. Still a very cool trick smile

heres the cross-arm one:

Not very well filmed or juggled sorry, had a few beers haha!

The thing I forgot to talk about in the vid is that the ball you push across the top is then caught in the same hand underarm. You're then in the opposite position to the start so you can do the other side.
EDITED_BY: willworkforfoodjnr (1226524778)

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
That's nifty.

I would say if you just did it on one side like that once or continuously it would be fake machine. Since you are switching side I will allow (lol) you to call it crossed arms machine. =)

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Interesting. I may get around to learning that at some point.

The third object you were juggling looked shiny and difficult to hold.

Juggle 'til I drop!

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, meshunderlay I can't see how its a fake machine? (Apart from, now watching it back, my machine push wasn't very nicely define, should have been much more clawed - damn you beer!) Its got the same push-drop, just swaps the fake upward movement for a throw...

Been thinking about this, and Mike7, I think what you were doing (in my own personally classification anyhoo) would be a cross-arm reverse machine. Which would make a normal reverse machine harder than the cross arm version *brain starts to smart*

The shiny thing was not a juggling prop haha, I was at a mates house and all we had were the balls from his poi and a grinder!

What I really need to do is sit down sober with a proper video camera, some real juggling balls and a clear head, and record all these silly tricks I make up for an actual video. Judging from how long it took just to sort that one clip out though, it could be a while...

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Hahaha. I thought it looked like a grinder. wink

Juggle 'til I drop!

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Oh, the reason I called it fake is because in a machine it's assumed that if I do the push with my Left hand that I'll drop the ball into my right hand, but (unless i'm seeing it wrong), your pushing with left than dropping into left, then pushing with right and catching with right? Is this right?

My friend does a fake Box which is cool to watch, where it's basically.... well, it's hard to explain but when he does the '1' throw he catches it from the same hand that threw it.

There might be a better name than 'fake' for it, but *shrug* that's what I'm callig it.

All in all your cross armed machine would give me tons of trouble to learn, I'm still working on machine both ways to begin with, my right hand (weirdly) doesn't like doing the push.

dawndreamPLATINUM Member
The answers lie on the horizon
35 posts

Posted:
i got 60 catches with 5 ball! finally grin

foolosopher at your service!

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
I got about 7 throws of 5 ring the other day, which I've very happy with as I can still only juggle 5 balls for about 20-30 seconds (no idea how many catches)

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Ahhhhh, now I get you! I generally use 'fake' to describe a movement where you use your arm to move the ball rather than throwing it. So a 'fake' box for me would be doing 2 balls in one hand (columns) and moving another ball in your hand to make the bottom. Just semantics grin

And yep, the ball you drop is caught in the same hand.

I was trying to learn a reverse machine (not a cross armed one) this weekend and was getting absolutely nowhere grrrrr

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
I've been working a lot on linking my 4 ball and 5 ball moves. But I'd like some ideas for some new 4 5 or 6 ball moves that transition well with other moves.

Anyone know any 4, 5 or 6 ball moves I should try? I mainly enjoy beautifully simple siteswaps with a minimum of hand weirdness.

I know this is a bit of a weird question, haha. I suppose I'm basically asking which 4, 5 and 6 ball moves are your favourites and what transitions between them do you think would be cool (even if you can't actually do them yourself)?

Everybody contribute! grouphug

(I would make a new thread but I'm convinced it wouldn't last more than 2 replies.)

Juggle 'til I drop!

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
I like transitioning from 7531 into a shower with 4. The siteswap is *thinks* um, 9631. Do it straight into a 3-level shower (b17131) FTW smile

5 balls, nice multiplex, (4,[44])(4,4) but stack the [44] so its more like [64], the effect should be a nice traingle of balls and columns on the outside. To get into the cascade replace the (4,4) with a (4,6) and start the 5's with your RH. Theres loads of ways to collect from a cascade into it wink

Come on then Mike, what are your favourites?

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
I don't really have anything interesting. That's why I'm asking for ideas. Haha.

Your (4,[44])(4,4) reminded me that I was trying 6 synch fountain into ([44],[44])(4,4) and then back into fountain by turning the [44]'s into [64]'s. I had some success. tongue2

I'll definitely try out that 3 level shower too. That sounds ace.

If I come up with anything nice I'll post it up.

Juggle 'til I drop!

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
OOOh videos!

Today I learned to do one 97531 out of 5 cascade. It feels really awesome when you get the heights perfect.

Also I caught 8 out of a 9 ball flash. Grrrr.

Yesterday I learned 711 - surprisingly hard for a three ball trick - and got really close to a 5 5up 360 but no dice.

Oh, and I did do that three level shower. It's pretty awesome.

Juggle 'til I drop!

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Haha nicely done! I've been practicing 97531 for going on 2 years now and still only get it every hundred tries or so - I can get the stack but getting back ito the cascade is insanely hard.

I was messing with under leg, crotch throw and contortion throws in 6club 2 count last night. Really really really fun, especially when you get both of you doing runs in sequence (e.g. both do under LL, under RL, crotch, contort). A few runs ending with one or the other of us on our back after lunging for a club still stood on one leg! grin

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
It was wet outside today so I couldn't practice anything above 7 height. frown

I learned (2x,2)(2x,[4x6x]) into and out of shower though, which is fun.

I really want to get (2x,2)(2x,[22])(2x,[4x6x8x]) into and out of 5 shower now!
EDITED_BY: MiKe7 (1227820548)

Juggle 'til I drop!

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Shweeeeet! That (2x,2)(2x,[4x6x]) works continuously as a 5b trick too wink

Last night I was working on, erm, well actually I was being slack and watching the Wild China DVD, not juggling but hey, you should still give it a try!

(Quick extra thought) Have you tried (2x,2)(2x,[22])(2,[8x6x4x)(2x,0) as a 4b version of the 5b shower stack thing?
EDITED_BY: willworkforfoodjnr (1227860337)

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Mike - try 801, even harder 3b trick!

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Wow, yeah, 801 is quite tricky. My 8 throws seem to go everywhere for no apparant reason. (Could be cause my hands are pretty much numb from the cold haha.) laugh3

Okay here's the new stuff I landed:

(2x,2)(2x,[4x8x])(2x,4x) out of and into 4 high-low shower.

(2x,2)(2x,[22])(2x,[4x6x8x])(0,2) out of and into 4 shower.

(2x,2)(2x,[6x8x]) out of and into 5 shower.

(2x,2)(2x,[22])(2x,[4x6x8x]) out of and into 5 shower. (Pretty sketchy though.)

(8,8)(4,4) out of and into 6 fountain.

Synch 4 up 360 (which I think I've probably done before). OOoh, and I really would like to get out of and into overhead throws.

Edit: Ahhhh! I just realized you CAN switch between synch and asynch siteswaps with juggling lab! Today is a good day! yes

Re-Edit:

Today I got one round of 744 out of and into 5 cascade on both sides. Plus one round of 94444 out of and into 5 cascade just for giggles.

It seems like 744 is quite tricky to run on its own.

I also learned 55556x56x1x(6x,4)(4,6x)(6x,4)(5x,7)(6x,4) <<5 cascade switching to (6x,4)* and back>> having found the swap on the jugglinglab
notation page. I now also use this method to connect (6x,4x) to Cascade (I'm not really sure how I was doing it before).

Re-re-edit:

Just got 4 rounds of 744 out of and into 5 cascade. Hooray!
EDITED_BY: MiKe7 (1228063963)

Juggle 'til I drop!

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
You'd probably quite like 534 though I'm sure you already do it, ut it find it's a very nice siteswap for four, and yeah I have to joing you wwffj on the trying to get 97531 ans never quite getting it, I can do it cold but not into or our of cascade.
I haven't learnt much recently with juggling due to recently aquiring a job, though have been trying to get 4b mills and getting roundabouts with 3 people.

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
I got 45 catches of straightjacket (like contortionist on both sides at once) with 3b last night grin *Dances*

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: willworkforfoodjnrI got 45 catches of straightjacket (like contortionist on both sides at once) with 3b last night grin *Dances*

wow... and both your arms were connected to your skeleton the entire time? =)

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Mostly, although after practising it for a half hour they certainly didn't feel like they were on as tight as before haha!

I bought myself 10 new small underfilled balls at the Leeds convention on Sat so I can finally start working on the 7 cascade.

I can learn 7 without being a numbers juggler, right?

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
No, you will officially be a numbers juggler and as such, better than everybody else! laugh3

Juggle 'til I drop!

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Quiet you! Silly numbers jugglers, no creativity, the tricks all look tbe same, think their better than us cooler 3 ballers...

*looks sheepish*

Flashed 7 lots of times last night, and caught 8 out of a 9 flash.

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
9 balls is crazy hard. I've only caught 8 out of 9 too, so far.

Did you skip 8 flash? I find it pretty easy now (a walk in the park compared to 9).

Today I did overhead 633633 out of and into 4 ball overheads (inspired by a random Olga Kay clip), and I also got 6 rounds of 744 out of and into 5 cascade.

Also I have recently learned to touch type, so this whole message was typed without looking at my hands! Go me!!! smile

Edit: Almost forgot... I also learned what I believe is called Gatto's Multiplex. Do people know what I'm talking about?
EDITED_BY: MiKe7 (1228927859)

Juggle 'til I drop!

Page: ......