Forums > Other Toys > The official HOP juggling "I just learnt a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Well, seeing as we are starting to take over the

"Offical HOP "I just learnt a new move" thread", I thought we should contain this bit just to jugglerisng and the throwing and dropping of balls, clubs, rings and other miscellaneous juggling props.

Today I mothered learning 441.

I had a few throws of 531 but only 1 catch. I think my 5 is too high.

Note for the mods: I DEMAND on behalf of the jugglers on this site, as has been done with the aforementioned "Poi moves thread", that this one is made a sticky thread.

Otherwise its just favouritism really....

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
4c singles rule!

feels really on the edge...

or maybe i need more practice :humm:

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

MegafishBRONZE Member
lurking...
208 posts

Posted:
flashed 6 balls yesterday, i wonder what i'll be doing today:-)

Juggling isn't useless, It just isn't useful.

Neural Coding is Idiosyncratic:-)

'Do you like dry cerial? Hope so because we've drunk your milk. Yours Sincerely, Your Neighbourhood Milk Thief'

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Megafish

flashed 6 balls yesterday, i wonder what i'll be doing today:-)

Failing miserably in trying to accomplish yesterdays feat? tongue

Yesterday I managed one round of 5551 mess, and mills mess--->shower and back into milss mess again. With four balls.

Willy - is bad for your health...

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Woohoo - after ages of managing a rubbish 3 or 4 catches of an anticlockwise 3 ball shower, I just got a whopping 17 catches biggrin

I've been able to do it clockwise for ages now, but the anti-clockwise one keeps eluding me.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

1,019 posts

Posted:
Once you have it mastered on both side, the box is just round the corner...

MTGjumpermember
84 posts

Posted:
It took me ages to learn the box, even when I had the shower mastered on both sides. It was annoying, but I got it eventually. It just clicks! Same thing with the machine/factory, took me a while to learn that.

Alternatively BovrilMonkey, you could do 423, then lower the 3 ball enough so that it becomes the box. Just make sure the throw are in sync.

On a side note, yesterday I went into town with my mates and they decided to buy about ten cream eggs. Knowing I could juggle, they made me busk in the middle of town. We made 20p (the eggs came to about £3.50, so we made a big loss, because most of the eggs weren't fit to eat afterwards). Who'd have thought juggling five eggs would have been so difficult?!

Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.
Give a man a set of fire clubs (see above)

1,019 posts

Posted:
 Written by: MTGjumper

Who'd have thought juggling five eggs would have been so difficult?!

With only 378 catches of 5 balls, I'm not surprised you struggled.

tongue

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i'd rather go to a park and have an egg fight biggrin

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

1,019 posts

Posted:
Woooo! 534 is getting much better. Managed around 6/7 nice lofty triples before the pattern collapses, but it feels good to juggle. Give me a couple of weeks, and it'll be solid.

MTGjumpermember
84 posts

Posted:
Lemonkey, you've done my confidence a world of good. Thanks a lot... *sniff*

@ Mr. Majestik- These are Cadbury's Cream Eggs, not normal eggs. I think having an egg fight would hurt with these more than with normal eggs!

On a side note, two, yes two(!) of my beanbags burst yesterday, so I'm gonna get some new ones soon. Probably get three, because I have 3 beanbags waiting, fresh and hardly ever used,; birthday pressie.

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Lemonkey

Don't see how, but I'll give it a go... my 4c singles could do with some improvement, but I do enjoy --doubles-->singles-->doubles. smile

4c singles will improve your hand speed and get you to correct mistakes better. Forgot to mention - practising 53 on double/singles on both sides really helps with the 5double throw from each hand.

I practised 5c yesterday and got 3 runs in a row of over 40 catches. The last one i experimented and threw them all a bit higher, and it was much easier smile and of course, i had a much better run.

Also getting 3c mills in flats.

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

1,019 posts

Posted:
Every time I've tried double-single in the past the pattern fell apart very quickly. But now triple-single is far more solid I'll give it a go tonight.

Last night I had a go at wallplane 531. I have great difficulty in catching that damn wallplace triple!

Good going on the 5c Will!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Hexagonic

Also getting 3c mills in flats.

I was about to correct you and say thats bostons...

but I would be wrong.. rolleyes

So I wont. wink

anyway... I learnt how to juggle my social life with my work life, into a 3 up "personal time" pirouette whilst balancing my bank account.

bounce

Then again, it has taken me 6 years....

MegafishBRONZE Member
lurking...
208 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TheBovrilMonkey

Woohoo - after ages of managing a rubbish 3 or 4 catches of an anticlockwise 3 ball shower, I just got a whopping 17 catches biggrin

I've been able to do it clockwise for ages now, but the anti-clockwise one keeps eluding me.

hi bovril monkey, i know your talking about the shower and we all seem to be talking about the box, but in a couple of months time hopefully you'll understand why, the box really sorted out my shower (on both sides) but then again my shower really helped me with the box... strange that

my advice is to start having a go at the asynch shower (that is 51 instead of (4x,2x), {hope you don't mind me throwing siteswaps at you}), all that means is throwing the ball a bit higher, that way you can work on the pattern with a bit more time to play with, once you've got that sorted you can start making it smaller again, if 51 takes you anywhere why not have a stab at 441, that one is great for getting your head around feeding the ball to both your left and right hand. The key i felt to learning the box; and something that i have seen work for others, was to try doing it with two balls, that is with one ball being fed from the left hand to the right, and the other ball being thrown and caught in the right after the other ball has gottne out of its way, try that on both sides and the box and the shower will all start seeming a bit easier.

Oh, and just a little tip; i personally found it a great help to try and stop thinking about juggling patterns as being clockwise or anticlockwise, it just makes a bit more sense to think of them as starting on your left or right side, i'm sure i could think of lots of reasons why, but give it a try, itmight help:-)

Juggling isn't useless, It just isn't useful.

Neural Coding is Idiosyncratic:-)

'Do you like dry cerial? Hope so because we've drunk your milk. Yours Sincerely, Your Neighbourhood Milk Thief'

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Ok, stupid question time - when I'm counting catches, I should be counting the catches in both hands, right?

Written by: Megafish

hi bovril monkey, i know your talking about the shower and we all seem to be talking about the box, but in a couple of months time hopefully you'll understand why, the box really sorted out my shower (on both sides) but then again my shower really helped me with the box... strange that

*snip*

Yeah, one of the reasons for my trying to get the shower both directions was more practise of the 1 throws so I can then start working on the box and 441

Written by:

Oh, and just a little tip; i personally found it a great help to try and stop thinking about juggling patterns as being clockwise or anticlockwise, it just makes a bit more sense to think of them as starting on your left or right side, i'm sure i could think of lots of reasons why, but give it a try, itmight help:-)

Hmm, that'd mean I'd have to start with a specific hand for each one, rather than just with whichever hand's more convenient at the time smile

Oh, and - Happy Birthday biggrin

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Happy birthday megafish!

i cant do the box to save my life but now all this talk of clockwise and anticlockwise showers seems to make sense. Although im opposite to Bov, i can do an anticlockwise (starting with my right hand) shower no problems, the clockwise one i can only get about 3 - 4 catches then it all goes messy.

I found the 441 was good to learn the 1 across but that damnable muscle memory keeps doing 441 when i attempt the box. *le sigh* maybe some tricks are not meant to be learnt by lefties (that will always be my excuse for not being able to do a trick) biggrin

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Beth: If you cant do a trick, turn 180 degrees around. That way, what was your left hand will now be on the right, and you right hand will now be on the left. You should find you are able to do it a bit better then. biggrin

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Hap Bif Fis!

T wave

-><- Kallisti

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Managed to not juggle for a full 9 day at all. Think I'm going to go for the full 21 but it's not going to be easy. If only I was up to UCOF standard juggling a social life and a job is not happening and my bank balance isn't even close shrug

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

MTGjumpermember
84 posts

Posted:
I can happily put a 64 into a running 5b cascade now, but can't do the continuous pattern at all. Anyway, my reverse cascade is improving steadily. Today managed quite a few runs of 30+ Once I got into the feel of the pattern, I could do it quite easily. Also, tried 5bmm a bit, to see how much I can do; about 6 catches! Go me!

MoohaahaaBRONZE Member
enthusiast
382 posts

Posted:
I done 21 backcrosses on singles (in a row, not seperate like)
But then my backcrosses on doubles where a bit 'hang on a minute' but I'm sure they'll get back together.

So now I'm trying 4bx singles strait into 4bx doubles, back to singles etc...
Also trying 531 bx into singles or doubles.

Wallplane 531 is right tricky, and it is surely from the wallplane triple. I tried putting my triple-single in wall plane, but it was tricky.

UCOF- well done. Also, bostons on flats is different to mills, and it's a monkey-load harder.
T&B - Full 21 days for why what?

Finally a gripe. I did two fire shows on the weekend, with da fire juggling clubs. The one on Sat night was posh hotel, and I did all fine with 3 drops. Then, the one on Sunday was just next to the Gange's with our friends playing djembe and all the lovely people there. And I dropped loads and grrr grrr grrr it was annoying.
But oh well I'm starting to think about how to cover drops so it's all good but it was bit angry

anyway
meditate

Some things you have to see to believe, but
Some things you have to believe in to see.

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
3b 1up front handspring. ^_^

I'm happy.

Juggle 'til I drop!

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
lol, i thought that sig read "I less than 3 poi"

T wave

-><- Kallisti

1,019 posts

Posted:
Today -

One round of cascade-753-cascade.
Managed the 975 part of 97531...
... and solidified my Gatto Multiplex (and transitions)

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
wink

Juggle 'til I drop!

1,019 posts

Posted:
confused

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
got nine catches of penguin shower yestrday doing a small dance party now

Viva UGLY STAFF

MTGjumpermember
84 posts

Posted:
Random question- what would you say was the easier way to juggle four clubs; singles or doubles. Please don't just say 'whatever you prefer' because I feel most comfortable doing one and a half spins. Its really confusing me, and help would be much appreciated.

My 5b hasn't improved yet Hexagonic, but I can get 200+ about 1/3 times now, and 100 almost every time. My reserve cascade is improving, and 5b Mills' Mess... is just... well... its just odd.

I also discovered the wonders of juggling clubs outside, where no roof can hinder you. I was doing 'm' throws, I tell you! Anyway, because of no roof, I can finally work on continuos 3b flashes with clubs. I think seven 3ups is my best. Also, I can do one up, 360 spin on 1.5 spins, 2 spins, and 3 spins, but not one. And I can do 1 up 180 on 1.5 spins and 2.5 spins. And I managed a quad reverse spin in a 3c cascade today!

-MTGjumper

1,019 posts

Posted:
 Written by: MTGjumper

Random question- what would you say was the easier way to juggle four clubs; singles or doubles. Please don't just say 'whatever you prefer' because I feel most comfortable doing one and a half spins. Its really confusing me, and help would be much appreciated.

I also discovered the wonders of juggling clubs outside, where no roof can hinder you. I was doing 'm' throws, I tell you! Anyway, because of no roof, I can finally work on continuos 3b flashes with clubs. I think seven 3ups is my best. Also, I can do one up, 360 spin on 1.5 spins, 2 spins, and 3 spins, but not one. And I can do 1 up 180 on 1.5 spins and 2.5 spins. And I managed a quad reverse spin in a 3c cascade today!

-MTGjumper

Four clubs initially feels easier in single spins for most people, but as soon as you get your head around double spins, the progress becomes far quicker than with singles.

Nice work on the 3ball flashes with clubs. wink

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I dont believe I have learnt anything specifically,
but I have noticed my 5b cascade, inverse cascade, half shower and shower are getting solider.

and I have actually started learning 5b mm and now I may quote:
damn.. I cant find it.
Who posted about knowing how to, but not being able to go in and out of reverse cascade to normal cascade? umm

I know how to 5b mm...but sort of...well.. cant. ubblol

Page: ......