JonaBRONZE Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
hello,
i am part of a VJ collective (of three) called the 'AVologists' based in Norwich, England.

For those who dont know what it is (i only say because lots of people i speak to dont) VJing is providing visual projections that match with the music for clubs and parties.
VJ stands for Video Jamming (although lots of people tend to call it Video Jockying to make it sound more like DJing)

our stuff is mainly video-based as aposed to trippy warps, although we are experimenting with a program at the moment that creates trippy warps and we sort of mix our own visuals over it.
All our visuals are all manually matched to the music by us (there is no audio-feed into our computer, its not like a media-player visuals, that's cheating!)

We film and edit video clips at home or wherever, then using a couple of VJ programs (Vjamm and Motion Dive Tokyo) match it up live to the music the DJ is playing.

We mix in live video feeds from cameras on the DJ and/or crowd along with various video tapes
sorry, i got a bit carried away there explaing, umm, hmm wot was my point?....

oh yeah, how prevelent is VJing in your home town/country?

are parties regularly graced with mood elevating visuals,

or is this the first you've heard of this new fangled thing?

how much do you think it adds to a night?

does anyone here do VJing themselves?

YEY! i got the poi down form under the motorway bridge!

ParafinfairySILVER Member
old hand
845 posts

Posted:
Well I've never heard of 'VJ' before though I may have seen it. I'll probably make myself sound really stupid now but ...

Is it like a big screen with 'trippy' graphics moving around? (this is the best way to describe what I've seen before) If it is, I've seen it quite a lot before at various places. Some people I know do that kind of thing though I don't know if its exactly what you're talking about. I've seen it most at Guildford festival in the ambient lounge.

Sounds pretty cool though biggrin

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

_odnewbie
22 posts

Posted:
where im from you dont see very much of it, though i wish i did. been to a couple shows in the san fran./oakland area that did have shows, and i loved them.
course, ive always had a tendancy to be drawn to bright flashing lights, so maybe its just me
ubbloco

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
I've never heard it given a name before, although have been in a few places where they've had the graphics going on, although i don't think anyone was actually controlling them at the time, i think it's usually just a reel that's left to play... am i right in thinking that you put it together on the night? What do you do if they stick on a really speedy tune or something and you haven't got the graphics to keep up?

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
We had someone do that during some of our Fire Jams last summer. We spin under a bridge so it was projected above us. It was soo cool going from a roman chariot race to seeing a fire spinner.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

JonaBRONZE Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
Parifinfairy-

yes, thats VJing, and like music, there are lots of diferent styles of VJing.

od_ -

thats a shame that there isnt much of it where u r,

why not change that! i love flashy lights to, thats sorta the idea, coz there isnt much to look at wen its a dj playing.

NOn -

lots of people do just stick on a loop or use some kind of visual program, this is partly due to the cost of hiring a proper VJ (due to the huge amount of preperation, rigging and constant work involved) and partly because they just dont know about it,

these programs unfortunately dont do much other than sometimes they can respond to the various frequencies of the music (like on windows media player etc) but not the content. and dont really look very impressive.

we store vast banks of clips on our computers that we have created, and can trigger them instantly in real time, speed them up, slow them down, reverse them and apply various effects that we can also manipulate live, so pretty much, we are usualy spot on with the music.

Gidig-

it is well good with poi, multi sensory stimulation,

was it a video or did it look as though someone was doing something to it live?

dj_retromember
87 posts

Posted:
the only type that we ever get here in oklahoma either tend to be the cheep ass media player type stuff or every once in a while someone will spring for a lazer....so nothing very cool.

if you get a chance i sudgest you pick up "better living through circutry" it is mainly about electronic music but it does have a little piece on VJ'ing. the guys do just what you where talking about and i would really love to see someone actualy put some real visuals up for once in my area.

<( ' ' )>
Fear the Kirby

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Jona - for the fire spinning it was a live feed. When it first started I thought it was just tape but then I noticed that it was the person that was actually performing doing the same exact moves. Majorily cool.

It was also fun to be able to watch parts of Ben Hur. biggrin

The big thing with our jam though is that we have live drummers going all evening. So you get the drummers coordinating their beats to the spinner and the VJ stuff showing on the bridge. I loved it.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

JonaBRONZE Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
ah man, thats one pleasure i havnt had yet, i would love to VJ to a big group of drummers, that would be so cool!

_odnewbie
22 posts

Posted:
I wish i could change it, but besides not having the resources (or time) im afraid the scene where im from is about dead. there is only one club that has the atmosphere for that kinda stuff, and they just have two or three TVs with those DVDs playing. of course, between each scene they have an advertisment, so doesnt really do much for the mood =\

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
nice topic. I've played around making just visuals for friends who VJ or stand alone installations. I'm currently working on a piece for a party coming up in October, alot of post apocalyptic stuff. This one I'm actually working on a story line, so different shots will tie in together and tell a story over the course of 3 hours or so. Thats alot of rendering eek I've played with the hardware VJ equipment, but I like the software better, it seems easier to sequence your clips, and synch along with the music. Mebbe I should pick up a copy eh? What software do you recommend?

Also, VJ and visuals crews are pretty common in seattle, the dandelion crew being the largest(I think). Dandelion crew used to have renegade visuals showing, if you were on a mailing list you would get notified about a showing in a park that night.

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

SupaflyBRONZE Member
TNT
173 posts

Posted:
I've seen several shows that used VJs and was impressed each time. The best I've seen was this lady that was hired by Nick Warren to VJ one of his shows. It definitely added to the sensory experience and was a nice change from the regular old laser and fog shows that you usually get. It opens up a whole new dimension of creativity that will hopefully catch on soon.

dj_retro: Cool suggestion, "better living through circuitry" rocks. I bought that on DVD several years ago and love it. They do a good job of interviewing some great old school acts and their visions from the future of techno.

Fear the evil monkey!

JonaBRONZE Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
ah musashi, thats well good, putting a narative into your set is a very admarable thing, i havent yet had the perservesiance to do it. i have heard of that dvd, haven't seen it yet tho.

i recomend vjamm by ninja tune ad coldcut, (well its not actualy by them, its just got their name on it) for simple, very reliable, very fast queing of clips assigned to keys on the keyboard. Motion dive for really really nice for luma-keyed clips and very extraodanary real time effects that just, well, basicly its the best all round vj program there is. lots of people use ar-chaios
(spellingconfused), but i think is shite.

supafly, (hey, there's a funk night where i live called that!)
have you any idea of the ladys name?
it totaly is a wicked art form! its totaly free aswell, its like a totaly new way to use the medium of video (well not totaly new, but its geting wel tech now)

SupaflyBRONZE Member
TNT
173 posts

Posted:
Sorry, I don't remember her name but she was 42 years old with shoulder length dark brown hair. I hung out for a couple of hours that night (in between dancing) and watched her work her magic. She was underneath the DJ booth and had her laptop hooked up to a projector. It was really interesting talking to her about it and she ran a couple of canned programs in between whenever she wanted a break. There were about 50 different folders on her desktop that she was pulling from and had labels like "trip", "warp", "tunnel", etc. on them. I also remembered that she used a Mac because it had more dynamic capabilities and better software.

That's a great way to tag team two of the audiences' senses and put them into a virtual trance! Good luck with your VJing gig and keep up the good work.

Fear the evil monkey!

1,148 posts

Posted:
thanks for the tips, I think motion dive is the software I've seen used, very very nice. I tried vjam when it first came out, but it wasn't really robust enough for me, you could only switch between clips, no blending modes, no chroma keying, or built in support for extenal sound inputs. I hope they have fleshed it out a bit, it was a good start, I'll have to go try it again wink You're right about it being a new art form, I'd love to see it realized beyond raves/parties and such, it's getting there I think.

The story idea just came out last night brainstorming, it just seemed a good way to piece together several pieces that are already done, as well as giving me more of a vision of what to build up to. Still have tons of work to do on this project, and it's getting trickier by the second. I'm having to render in several different 3d packages, animate the vector animations in flash, layer them together in after effects, apply a few choice filters in after effects, and render the whole thing.

Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

JonaBRONZE Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
bloody hell mate! im just on premire and after effects! your stuff sounds far more graffic-ey / tech than mine.
yeah, vjamm is basic, but its wot i was taught on, so it has a special place in my heart ubblove
how did you get into it?
i was taught by jamie of 2bit-tv, one of the fathers of VJing in the uk (well, sorta)
do you not use any harware at all other than a laptop then? what software do you use live? have you seen the edirol V4 video mixer (god they r nice) its the first VJ-dedicated video mixer, all the previous ones we've been using have been for studio editing purposes.

1,148 posts

Posted:
ah, it's not as techey as it may seem, there are just certain effect that I can get better in certain packages that I can't get in others.

I got into it the same way I got into fire, just met alot of people who did it, talked shop with them, then went out and tried it on my own. It's still a hobby, but it's picked up more since I've gotten a better computer and software. No hardware currently other than a laptop, I'd like to get a real hardware mixer one day maybe, but the laptop works fine for now. As for live most of the things I do are stationary, there's no mixing involved. Edirol huh, I'll def have to check that out wink

Ars Pyronomica

kitemanFlying high!
245 posts

Posted:
I used to have a programme called DNA Dancer, It's been discontinued for a long time now though, but I would love to get a copy of it again. It was based on the works of William Lathan, the guy who did the Organic art screen saver and some of the Shamen vids.

The way it worked was you would tell the image to different things to different sounds. E.G. volume would increase the size of the shape, Bass would make it spin, vocals would make it change colour, hi hats would make it change shape etc.

You could also assign hot keys to change the parameters as the tunes changed.

I used to spend hours on my decks watching the images on my PC. Used to go down a storm at parties, hook the pc to a projector and dislpay it on the wall, the only light show you needed.

If everything seems under control, your not going fast enough!

It's not the size of the wave, it's the length of the ride!

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
all parties large and small have Vjs in this neck of the woods smile

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Written by: Josh

all parties large and small have Vjs in this neck of the woods smile

Josh

ditto to that!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

JonaBRONZE Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
Written by: kiteman

I used to have a programme called DNA Dancer, It's been discontinued for a long time now though, but I would love to get a copy of it again.

thats a wicked program!
you can get a demo of it at:

https://www.audiovisualizers.com/toolshak/vjprglst.htm

its somewhere in the list of downloads on that page.

but dont forget the human vj tho! wink

JonaBRONZE Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
hey, josh and flash fire, thats well good to hear, lucky australians!

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
josh, i need to start going to the same sort of parties that you go to. best i've seen was someone playing with the dimmer switch.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

andythepoiaddict
508 posts

Posted:
how about setting up a hundred of us in a field spinning fire and using that in yer vids me old mucca?

It's smashing to be back x

1,148 posts

Posted:
bump..I must say, I think I'm hooked smile Mixing is so much fun, I may have to spend all winter obtaining vid clips and making them just so I can do some this summer

SW I've tried so far: Arkaos, Motion Dive, Visual Jockey, DNA Dancer, and a few others I can't remember right now.

There seems to be two real kinds of software, your trigger(midi or keyboard) based(like Arkaos or VJAMM), and your mixer based(like Resolume or Motion Dive). Still have yet to figure out how to do much more than generate stuff in visual jockey, but even alot of that stuff(with a few of the newer plugs) is effin amazing..I'm ordering resolume, gotta try the whole 3 channel mixing bit biggrin thanks again for the new hobby!!

Ars Pyronomica

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
rebump - My projector arrives tomorrow! OMFG! Wanted to do this for so long. Started programming graphics on a ZX-Spectrum when I was 8 and after that the only things that held me back over the years were a bunch of retarded CS teachers/lecturers who thought computers are just for office work, and the fact I couldn't afford the hardware.

Now I get to sort through a whole load of back-up CDs of pictures, scan loads from film and slides and books, take loads more, and generate some with ray tracing and Flash programming.

Got to get some cheap digital cameras to gut and rig for time lapse stuff, find a cheap old video camera for video feedback.

I'm going to end up with a ring around my eye from constantly having either a dv or digital camera stuck up against it, and I'm going to have seriously red eyes from staring at a monitor even more intently than I do already.

The best bit is I finaly get to do something, and people finally get to look at what's inside my head.

Whoops!

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
norwich ey????? i'm also from norwich england and have been working on visuals although not using VJ programs.

send me a PM and i'll link you to some of my stuff

Theo_SILVER Member
Dirty Hippie
347 posts

Posted:
there was some really awesome VJ-ing at the breakbeat weekender a few weeks ago. they has all sorts of videos. my favorite were clips from the film dumbo, where dumbo gets really drunk and starts seeing all the pink elephants. that definatly added to the atmosphere smile

for every minute angry, you loose 60 seconds of happiness