AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
Okay, here's the situation. I've been invited to perform at my local Pagan Halloween party after a pretty cool glowstick poi performance I gave at our yearly gathering this summer.

To that end, I've decided to get a nicer set of toys than just the glowsticks I was swinging that night, and those glowbug poi look sweeet. I think I'm going to get the blue and yellow set- fire and ice poi, anyone? The rainbow glowbugs look badass too, but are more expensive and I need something to put on the christmas list:)

So what does everybody think of the glowbug poi? How tough are they? I still whack my poi together sometimes, especially when working out new moves and figuring out transitions. Is it easy to get replacement batteries? How do you switch them on and off? I looked at the pic, but didn't see any buttons or switches. I've done a search, but there were only a few mentions of these toys- most of them from before they were offered here in the online shop.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i got a pair of rainbow globugs last week. they are indeed lovely, but you need complete darkness for the best effect.

there's a little switch to turn them on/off just above where the strings attach. they go through a sequence of 7 colours, but you have to switch them both on at the same time if you want the same colour from both poi simultaneously

i'm planning on changing the string & handles though, it's a single loop and i prefer doubles.

despite being much lighter than i'm used to, they bloody hurt when you whack yourself. i've a lovely black bruise on my chin to prove it!!

i'd say they're pretty durable and can withstand normal whacking togetherness.

i still think my green electro-glo's from juggleart are prettier though. they're waaayyyy brighter, but they cost about twice the price of globugs.

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

haptotropeBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
I just recieved a whole bunch of these https://www.chemlite.com/products/item.asp?ITEM_ID=1524
(and their ring + bracelet cousins)
thaey are soft, wicked cheap, and way sparkly. you just neet the make a little string harness for it- the spikes hold the string in place--since the jelly loop is not terribly strong. It you can attache a whole bunch to your poi chains, you'll end up with lots of fun.. and it doesn't hurt when you bean yourself!

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i certainly hope you didn't pay the price advertised on that site!

i bought 2 of the very same one's for a couple of euros each a few weeks ago from some street vendor guy.

they are indeed lovely, but not worth $12!!

edit: silly me, didn't read it properly. $12 per dozen, wow, then it looks like i was the one who was ripped off ubblol
EDITED_BY: Fabergé (1095256767)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
er, there $14 for 12.... or $12 if you buy more than $24

how much did you pay for yours again? ubblol

Love is the law.

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i noticed my error & edited it about a second before your post.

hey, are you stalking me??? ubblol

and who's that blue person in your avatar??

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Yes, yes I am, just today though. in case you kill someone....

its me...

Love is the law.

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
ubblol

but why are you & your flames blue? or is that just my pc?

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i inverted the colors to hide my bad skin...

Love is the law.

Face_NLPLATINUM Member
addict
513 posts

Posted:
I have the soft and sparkly thingies as well, 1,00 euro per ball, so about the same price... Instead of the spike-loop I just made a kind of bag from colorless & clear plastic for them, and each poi consists of 2 balls (I think 1 ball results in not enough light per trail).

That looks cool...

and to the chains I attached my two streetlight-imitations, so I've two patterns inside of eachother, which looks really, really good biggrin!

|| "Is True Mastery of the Elements But a Dream?" ||

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
anyone got a globug staff? I need a decent set of doubles but being particularly shite with two sticks they have to take a battering. Im worried by the cheapness, and I dont really want them if they are pretty weak bulbs. Oh and can they be posted to the UK? I really want these sticks but I dont wanna be dissapointed ubbrollsmile
ubbrollsmile

progger

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
I was wondering how tough these things are myself..I still whack my poi together when practicing sometimes, and I don't want to bust up such an expensive poi set..
BTW, I ordered the red and yellow set..will get the blue and green when they come in, and the rainbows are on my christmas list.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"