Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > PLAY Festival - August 19th -> 21st *TICKETS ONSALE NOW*

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hello people!! wavehello

=================================

Post Festival Update

Dunc would really, really like all your feedback on the Play Festival on the PLAY web site. So post on the forum there or use the Contact Us form to give as much feedback as you can.

Dom

info update

Cost - £15

Dates - 19th - 21st August 2005

Location - Shrewsbury Agricultural Showground, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK.

UPDATE 23rd July 2005

Tickets now on sale, go to the website or book via telephone on 07814 018 091

Update - 5th Jan 2005

The site is now up and running at https://www.playfestival.co.uk
there is a forum included so everyone can contribute to the ideas, concepts and development of the festival as a whole. It wouldn't survive without "everyones" involvement so feel free to log on, register and let us know what you'd like from us while you're there.

And to think non of this would have started if I hadn't gotten into HoP and realised how wonderful this scene is, thank you HoP even if you did remove the link from my sig without telling me why, or even telling me rolleyes hug

Update 31st January 2005

Tickets can now be Pre-booked, up to five adult and five free childrens (u14's) can be booked, once they are released for sale you will be given a set time period to buy them before they will be offered to the public. We're still unsure what the time period will be but it will be a reasonable amount of time, such as 6 weeks, from them being released before they will be put back into the ticket pool. Everyone will be advised by email and in various public announcements of the release date well before they're out.

=====================================================

I have been thinking for a while about organising an Object Manipulation (couldn't think how else to describe it!!) Convention sometime next year, and thought this would be the best place to get the ball rolling! (pun pun)

My idea is this......a mini festival for spinners/jugglers etc that's small and laid back enough to enjoy but big and organised enough to get the most out of. Maybe a band/dj or two in a tent, a fire show each night, weekend camping and most importantly lots of workshops, idea exchanges and fun for all the family. Easy going and fun are the objectives.

It wouldn't be poi based, it would be for all object manipulators from hat juggling to ribbon dancing and everything in between and to the sides so no pigeon holing or amimosity between arts will occur.

So what I'd like to know is if I organised, laid out capital etc for a proper weekend festival (Fri -> Sun) would I get enough interest and of course people attending? I obviously can't afford it by myself but if I put up the cash the more people I expect to come the cheaper I could cost it out per person.

I'd like to hope it'd cost no more that £25 each, but obviously the more people we expect to come the cheaper we can make it, I'd much rather it was a tenner than £25! (please note attendance would be a capped limit for safety and comforts sake)

All I'd be looking for is to break even or turn a small profit so it can be piled back into the next one making it even better and also cheaper.

As they say on poipoipoi's website......"it's not capitalism.......it's spherculism"

It would be in a decent sized feild with a remote location so there would be no townie trouble but close enough for easy access from major routes.

I figure if it's in the midlands area it's probably the easiest for everyone geographically although of course it depends what venues we can find and what the consensus is.

If this is the sort of thing folks would like then yell, but please be a serious yell as I'm realistically trying to sort numbers so I can get accurate costing done. There's also a poll I've set up HERE so vote in it if you can please.

If you think it's a little OTT compared to what is generally available such as Spitz and various annual juggling conventions please say so, all opinions have the same importance smile but don't forget to vote

Thanks folks! I hope you like the idea and can help me to make it a success for all those who come *fingers crossed*

If you have any info you think I might be interested in, ie quality venues (any free party goers out there that know good locations?) any ideas for during the convention or feel there's something individual you could offer I'd really appreciate hearing about it either in this thread or by PM. It's the only way I can make sure I'm giving people what they want!

Looking forward to your comments biggrin

Thanks for reading this rather long post hug

weavesmiley juggle :staff: :ribbondance: :contactjuggle: :knifethrowing: :likwiddancing: :stiltwalking: :diablo: :bboys: :clubswinging: :wifeswapping: :etc:

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
*sigh of relief*

Glad you got the money ok Dunc... was panicking a little there.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Will be sending off my cheque for the tickets on Monday - bloody Glade festival has cleared me out. Hope that's still in time...

"Moo," said the happy cow.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Yes no problem mate smile

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
Any chance of an official list of confirmed people Dunc?

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Sweet smile

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Have booked my ticket and will also be sending cheque on monday. tongue

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
What do you mean Ms Sheep? Of the confirmed performers?

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Dunc- did you get my PM re payment methods? i have cash available but no chequebook over here so if possible I want to do a direct cash transfer??

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
No PM Mr Chut confused So I'll send you one now with the account details smile Direct Transfer is fine, just let me know when you do it weavesmiley

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
willyou accept postal orders dunc?

Step (el-nombrie)

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Certainly smile Just make sure they're crossed with my name so they can't fall into the wrong hands

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Huge update today of workshops and the live music for Friday. Press me gently to find out smile

Miranda (mewcat)BRONZE Member
queen of all the hipsters
150 posts

Posted:
I may now be coming! Yay!

to live at all is miracle enough

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
not long now! yay!! biggrin

*now remembers she is doing a workshop, now panics*

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
wohoo! i've booked my ticket... biggrin bounce

money will be on the way soon as i earn some this week after cleaning myself out over the last few.... rolleyes

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
Is anyone going past Taunton on their way to Play with spaces in their car??
:flutteryeyelasshesandpuppyeyessmiley:
There are three of us that would love a lift pretty pretty please biggrin biggrin biggrin

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
i would love a lift from that area too, nearer bideford if possible but i can travel about a bit

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Just a reminder that the PLAY web site has a forum that you might want to post on as well.

Also, we have 2 pages on Liftshare and freewheelers that might help find you a lift:

https://www.freewheelers.co.uk/play_festival

https://www.liftshare.co.uk/

biggrin

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

Miranda (mewcat)BRONZE Member
queen of all the hipsters
150 posts

Posted:
Anyone else going from Cornwall way? I'd love to carshare - happy to drive but whoever comes with me will have to be brave as I've never been on a motorway before. Or if someone else has a space in their car, a lift and petrolshare would be fab.

to live at all is miracle enough

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
Ok, so it looks like I will be in london for 3 days, and then starting off my 5 months of travelling with PLAY!

Damn, this is going to be so strange rocking up, pitching a tent and not knowing a soul there! any dutch people going?

I guess I better start reading the previous 300 posts to get aquanted to the thread ubbloco

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
If you're lucky there will be 3 Dutch friends of mine, but if now I'm sure you'll feel at home very quickly!

As for reading the last 300 posts....good luck!

See you there!

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
ok i want to go, can afford ticket but not getting there.... so withought looking through the thread (In my defence i went falmouth and am too tired) i ask this question.... is there anyone passing near nuneaton and that wouldn't mind picking up a froggy biggrin i'm only iccle hug

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
does anyone know if there are many tickets left....? if i go i'll have to pay in a week or two, does anyonw know if there'll be any tickets left then?

ubbangel

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

ChickpeaSILVER Member
mostly a muppet in need of distraction...
305 posts

Posted:
i might have missed it but what time are things kicking off on the friday? any workshops on the friday or justthe sat/sun?
B x

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hiya Stroo, you can book now on the website and pay closer to the time if you want? We can accept a bank transfer or postal order if you want to save time on clearing a cheque?

Hi chickpea, we're still planning out the workshops, there's quite a few so we should be able to cover all three days. Especially with the surprise we've got planned for Friday night before the renegade show wink

For car sharing please use the liftsharing at

https://www.freewheelers.co.uk/play_festival

It'll make things very clear and far easier to arrange than having to trudge through random thread posts! Cheers! smile

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Right, cheque sent, cup of tea made, w00t!

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
hehe postal order sent cup of coffee made ubblol

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
My only problem is transport... its starting to look like i wont be making this but im trying to sort things out. fingers crossed! xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
im trying to sort out transport too asap, i do wanna come but theres no-one on the liftshare thingys and so tryin to find train buddies ubbangel

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
I'm going, getting the train from somewhere near the new forest possibly Bournemouth.

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

Page: ......