MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, I wanted to share and ask: What is the STUPIDEST mistake you've ever made while spinning? I don't mean most embarassing or most painful, like hitting yourself in front of people, I mean outright idiotic. As in, there's really no good reason it should have happened except you were being a total cheesebrain and did something that you knew better than to do.

Mine: I had lit up and was just stepping back from my Prometheus to start when I saw an old and very dear friend who I hadn't seen in a few months. I excitedly ran over to her still holding the flaming poi (yeah, the story gets worse, as if this wasn't bad enough). We talked for a few seconds and I must have shifted on my feet because suddenly I felt something REALLY warm on my leg...

My pants were on fire because when I shifted my stance, the poi must have rested against the pants.

So I dropped the pois (we were in a parking lot) and stopped, dropped, and rolled. Amazingly, the pants were not badly damaged.

Hi, I'm an idiot... Are you an idiot, too?

[ 21 June 2002, 08:25: Message edited by: MikeGinny ]

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
Good one!

The very first time I ever spun fire I did it wearing a shirt I thought was cotton. Nuff said. The scar's mostly gone...

-proto

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
I doused my leg in fuel whie spinning off and lit them up. this was on purpose too, but I learned this wasn't to bright. I kinda had to get some new clothes and leg hair.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
doing btb weave I got the poi wrapped around my hand...oh so scary and i couldn't get it undone...but then I just played jumprope and managed to work it out when it was in front of me......oh and i've hit myself on the head and singed my hair a couple times...but I'm afraid nothing is gonna top your story MikeGinny-that's just too funny

Om Namah Sivaya

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I believed people when they told me that I could do bare skin wraps without getting scars. After, I showed them my scars they told me "No, those are just permanent burn marks."

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Okay, NYC...I have done wraps without the scars, or the burn marks...that is just too funny!

Long story short, it was a looong time ago back when I had a performance "partner" (two years I think). I underestimated how much excess fuel was on my wicking, and at one point tapped him on the butt with my lit poi. It caught his arse on fire. So now imagine our safety (another guy) swooping in with this huge cloak in his hands and patting out my show partner's butt. It was funny enough we almost left it in the show! I have however, taken stock in my spinning off ever since, and been super careful with it.

Oh, and the ever classic...Took gauge of the wind, did my fire breath and the wind shifted. I ended up running backwards and then kind of hitting the ground to make sure it went over. It was really weird, like when the rolling fog comes in, only it was rolling fire. My friend Juss has a photo of it somewhere. It looks like I am in a cloud of flames. I learned to never underestimate the whims of the wind. Scared me shyteless I'll tell you what!

[ 21 June 2002, 14:12: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
mine happened last week while spinning in the park. havent been doing it recently cos i had bust my wrist and thumb, but nice weather so was out. I have no idea at all how this happened, but after doing a palm spin, i looked up to watch an airplane, forgot i was spinning and turned my body round. Walking smack into my spinning staff which slapped me in the face, whacked my glasses back into my nose, hence slicing my nose which preceeded to bleed all over me and i still have a great big huge black and blue bruise on my face.

So that my dears, is why i aint been at work this week (quit new job, it was crap)and why i've been avoiding the public. Shame its glasters next week!

vic xx

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Okay, I am not mocking you guys at all but I do have a question for Vic and Mike...how do you forget you are spinning? I am sorry for your injuries Vic and I hope you get well soon, but this just confuses me!

Pele

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
I let my drunk friends spin with fire. Hehe I was right there to pat em out but still, it wasnt smart for me to let em do it.

The good thing is, is that we got em on video catching themselves on fire!!

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
a practice staff can become as second nature, i'm sure i've forgotten not so much that i was spinning but that i have to make a minor effort to catch it when i throw it etc....

but i'm all for hearing how you can forget that you have fire toys lit and in ur hand.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Kyrian the effort thing I can relate to completely.
Ray...I know several who have made that mistake, so don't feel bad, unless the got fried then IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT! j/k

Pele

tricksenBRONZE Member
29 posts

Posted:
my stupid mistake happened the other night.i was spinning in my garden which is just big enough 4 1 doing poi,and the poi just flew off my fingers and landed in s bush.i just stood there "thinking how did that happen" while the poi was buring the bush,but my boyfriend is a bit sharper thinking than me and grabbed it from the bush.DOH!!!

***********************************to find your mind you have to lose it first!!

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
pele i am honestly one of the most absent minded people in the world....

hang on, what am i replying to??? (joke)

i think its because spinning has become too natural, i just get stuck doing windmills for hours while reading truck sides driving past.

but at least to my credit the staff wasnt lit the other day, i've never lost my mind while actually lit cos thats just TOO me!! lol

oh and i forget my hands are being used by my staff, if i get an itchy nose i'll attempt to scratch it with my staff hand. Then BOSH!! Am a silly billy really.

Prolly why i'm not very good at staff!!!

vic xx

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
I have only thrown my poi once and that was when I was letting go to do a onehanded butterfly. That was interstingly cool. Scared my friends though. Actually what scared them the most was when my jeans cought on fire and I just stood there still spinning not even worrying about it.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
Stupidist thing I have ever done (u guys will hate me for this) I made homemade fire poi from denim and coathanger, a head fell apart in mid swing, on fire I may add, and landed on me moms planters. Now we have melted planters

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
the stupidist thing i've ever seen was people trying to throw staffs at a poi to get down from a very very tall tree... and getting three staff stuck in tres in the process.

none of them fire toys fortunetly but it was very very funny. you probably shouldn't ask how the poi got up in the very very tall tree in the first place.

*laughs*

i once forgot there was a low ceiling whilst in school and took out a ceiling tile with a staff..... yummy asbestos too

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Stupidest thing I ever wore were cut off jean shorts. The frays burn really well, but luckily not for long!

Pele

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
I'll Tell my little story Made some steel wool heads. That had 24 pads each.. About 2 feet of core wire. Amazing amounts of heat was released from them and a *wall* of sparks. After the steel wool was mostly gone I speed them up faster then I should have and lost the angle. Causing one of them to catch my hand and wrap around super quick. The core metal is normally stiff. When it wrapped my wrist it was near to totally limp. Heard my skin sizzle as it laid down. And had a brief moment of fear when I twisted my wirst to unwrap. For a moment it felt like it was going to adhire to my wrist. As it unwrapped I felt it tear the skin away... No pain.. Calmly walked over set the stuff down and made a passing comment as I hurriedly jogged for ice.. That was a very painful jog.

That was two weeks ago. I still can't twirl without drawing blood from the wound.. and I still think it was worth it.

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC