Forums > Technical Discussion > Need pointers on fire wick construction...

Login/Join to Participate

fireflyerstranger
2 posts

Posted:
Hiyas..
Constructing my first set of poi fire wicks.
I have the needed 2" Kevlar wicking and basic construction technique down, catherdral, accordian etc..

Before I proceed and drills holes and such, I had a few q's....

I read that Elmers Glue should be applied to the ends/edges, etc.
What does this entail, or is it as specific as i typed it? Where does the glue go and how should I apply it?

Tucking the ends in. What's the best way to lock the ends in?? Tuck it in the side?

Washer size on bottom and top. Will larger washers effect the flame size since I'll be reducing wick surface area? Should I just put a large one (1 1/4") on the bottom and a smaller on the top??

I was going to bolt the wick together with a eyebolt ran through the center? Is this adequate or should I use a wire loop dealy?

Any help appreciated! Point me in the right direction before the hardware store see's my face again..

Fireflyer....

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I've posted my recipes online. I think they answer most of your questions.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I would also recommend using PVA on the wick directing underneath where you are drilling. This will make it easier to drill and less likely to start fraying around the washer (which is unlikely anyway, but dangerous if left too long).

Essentially, you are just hardening the outside point-of-contact of the wick...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

fireflyerstranger
2 posts

Posted:
Everyone, thanks for your help. All comments and leads answered all my questions.. Any last pointers for my first burn ???