Forums > Technical Discussion > parrafin, parrafin, where art thou parrafin

Login/Join to Participate

andythepoiaddict
508 posts

Posted:
hi folks, been looking for a supllier of parrafin in or around manchester for a YEAR now with NO LUCK WHATSOEVER! AM i stupid? not looking in the right places? someone help me please!, i've tried the net, garden centres, diy places, petrol stations etc ad infinitum. Baffling it is. Also, IS it as good a fuel for poi with kevlar wicks as they say? Use turps n barbecue lighter fuel n white spirits. All pretty good with fire clubs but last about 3 spins with poi! any help woiuld be muchly appreciated ta.

It's smashing to be back x

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
Have you tried asking somewhere like homebase to get it in for you? It's a bit odd that they don't have it because people will buy it for paraffin heaters and suchlike.
They seem to be fairly helpful up here in Edinburgh. A friend got a whole batch recalled when he told staff that "it didn't taste like it usually does". smile

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
you can get parrafin or lamp oil in any good camping store cool

happy shopping weavesmiley

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Most petrol stations should have it...
Usually in the forecourt with the charcoal, but sometimes inside - it's odd you haven't found any

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: Molly

Have you tried asking somewhere like homebase....A friend got a whole batch recalled when he told staff that "it didn't taste like it usually does"

ubblol that's sooo cool cool

Try this place Andy

You know it's amazing what google comes up with! hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

andythepoiaddict
508 posts

Posted:
thanks a bunch folks. I'm kinda annoyed that ten million people didn't agree with me n say " i KNOW man, it's rare as rocking horse poop n ya can't buy it anywhere these days!" guess the answer to my "am I stupid" question is quite obviously a resounding yes! oh well. will try your suggestions and if I have no luck I will return with dry underused fire poi n sour expression and in fiesty mood. tra for now :o)

It's smashing to be back x

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
ubbrollsmile @ Molly's friend. Genius.

My local petrol station has it, but they have a habit of running out. Then i have to walk a long long way. Cheers for the link Bug.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
From my experience petrol stations are way cheaper than DIY stores - £2 a gallon at the station, £5 a gallon at my local DIY jobie.

Raven_WolfeRunSILVER Member
journeyman
91 posts

Posted:
Ok, being the lame American wank I am, first off I gotta say Walmart or something the like. But anyplace that sells oil candles and such or tiki torches should have parafin. I suggest using Ultra Pure (the clear kind, not the decorative blue), it's odorless, smokeless and damn near tasteless. Now, assuming there's no Wally Word near you, try the website, they have everything and deliever.
www.walmart.com

May the flame on your balls not be too hot

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
The service stations on Barlow-Moor rd Chorlton (Manc) used to stock it a year ago as did the B and Q Stretford which also had it (more expensive). I dont know anywhere else, cuz we lived in chorlton.

Good luck,

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
It really sounds weird that you guys in the UK can get the stuff at service stations. They don't care parrafin at our service stations.

hug hug wave wave

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

Raven_WolfeRunSILVER Member
journeyman
91 posts

Posted:
I know right? It'd be a HELL of alot easier to hit the shell on the way to practice than Walmart or something.

May the flame on your balls not be too hot

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
If you go to Yeomans on Oldham street( Just by Afflecks) you can get Paraffin in four ltr bottles for a penny short of a fiver, thats the only place I can find in the centre.

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

Katerpillarmember
19 posts

Posted:
I know it sounds odd, but pet shops generally have paraffin. Sometimes you need your own container though.

...dream is destiny...

Lillie Frognot a stranger
558 posts

Posted:
If you can find it where you have your own container it will be cheaper than if you buy it prepacked.
Some petrol stations have it on the forecourt in a sort of pump, like for petrol.
Unluckily my local garage sells it prepacked.
Pet shops stock it so that little boys can set fire to kittens. It's a sad world.

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry
No one is ever what they seem
Gabriel King - The Wild Road

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
In Britain, I get mine from Archibalds. Do you have one of them near you?
Or, as already said, from a garage.

I looked at the stuff they sold at homebase, but I think it might be paraffin mixed with something else. It's called paratine or something. (May be why it doesn't taste like it normally does!). Anyway, I wasn't sure about it, so left it alone.

I can't believe you can't find any in Manchester... confused

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
You guys really seem to have to trek to get your fuel! We just buy ours at the local supermarket, most places carry Kerosene, lamp oil and white gas!
Ahh, I love Australia hehe

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mand

In Britain, I get mine from Archibalds. Do you have one of them near you?
Or, as already said, from a garage.

I looked at the stuff they sold at homebase, but I think it might be paraffin mixed with something else. It's called paratine or something. (May be why it doesn't taste like it normally does!). Anyway, I wasn't sure about it, so left it alone.

I can't believe you can't find any in Manchester... confused

Parasene? Its what im using at the moment, i only recelntly found a place in cork where i can get parrafin proper.

parasene is grand, smells a little bit more, its a different color but it burns.... it'l get ya out of a hole if your stuck...

Love is the law.

Wangusnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
My walmart doesn't even sell it, but Linens 'N Things is my savior.

They gave me funny looks last time I bought out all of their paraffin...no clue as to why...

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
not shure about the uk but if you have a big 5 they got it there realy cheap!!!

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
I went looking in Bristol on Sat for some. No garages had any and the B&Q i went to see they didn't see it as they needed some kind of petrolum license to sell it so, andythepoi i know how stupidly difficult it is to get some....

Gayle.....!

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
B&Q lied. I went back in there last night and in the section with the outdorr heaters there was a bottle (4ltr jobby) of parasene which i'm assuming is the same stuff ado-p's talking about. Is this OK to use as i haven't found anything else yet. I says on the bottle that's it for use in equipment that requires premium paraffin so i dunno.

Gayle.....!

HJugglerBRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
I too had a big problem finding any parrafin near me....Kingston area. I searched everywhere, camping stores all said they didn't stock it anymore because of the smell and the mess, and no hardware stores seemed to sell it either (even big ones)...although finally I did find a tiny little hardware shop that had 2 bottles stashed right at the back!!!!!

###########################################
Religion is not the answer, it's the problem!!

###########################################

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
shop in bexill that does 12litres for a tenner and 5pence....although thats not really much help to you at all *shrug*

devkevSILVER Member
discoverer of phat and poigling
292 posts

Posted:
hey .. in oz i got stuff called D60 by the 1000 ltr, some shopes called it fire water... whats it called in england??? and where can i get lots of it... ahhhhh fffiiirrreeeeee.....

its all about the fun fun fun fun and more fun...

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
B&Q.
Parasene...
Works well!

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

Gri-griMember
84 posts

Posted:
I'm amazed that it seems like a mission.

In South Africa, you can buy it almost anywhere, from Gas stations and supermarkets to littloe convenience stores. 5 litres for anout 25 Rand. Which is about 2 pounds.

Yay, go us!!!

Where the mind goes,
The body will follow...

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
hmm... i live in sweden. there is "lampolja" (lamp oil) you can buy everywhare. it says it's "n-parafin". today i bought some in the local food-store. weird some people cant get it.

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
Wal mart, lol no thats america

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't recomend lamp oil for spinning with unless you're really stuck. Parafin is full o nastiness and lamp oil is basically paraffin with lots of extra checmicals to reduce the smoke. In big burns (ie not lamps) that's a lot of extra checmicals to breathe in.

And I hate to boast to all those having trouble but by me we got a garage that has a petrol pump that's actually a paraffin pump!! How cool is that! ubbrollsmile

Let's relight this forum ubblove