Page:
GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
I know they exist, there's not a lot you can do about them...

but if you're 14 year old kid was smoking, how would you help them stop, even if they didn't want to?

I've heard of one method of sitting the smoker down and forcing them to smoke as much out of a 20 box as they can without water or breaks... but I'm pretty sure that's not very healthy.

Are you even addicted a couple of months after you start? Does it all depend on the person? I know of many people each having differences between their methods of giving up etc.

P.S I did my searches and couldn't find anything, if someone does can you put it up for me?

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

chappas4306member
24 posts

Posted:
coz i havent had one in 36 hours and im gunna keel over soon or just climb a clock tower and start random shooting ppl... i cant be held responsoble for my own actions. plz dont hate me... i need a smoke NOOOW mad2
EDITED_BY: flash fire (1083201547)

--{ goldfish production }--

chappas4306member
24 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Yeah, I feel strongly about this issue. Experimenting with pot and alcohol I can handle, but not tobacco. I'd rather heroin.

wtf so u would rather your kids do herion than tobacco.... u have up priorities man thats just crazy... u do realize that one hit of heroin gets u hooked like a and you cant get off easily... you can have 10 packs of smokes and not be hooked. my mate pot was laced with heroin and he had to go to hospital to get off it he was in there for 3 days and went under intence treatment to get off it. i think u should re-consider your thoughts
EDITED_BY: flash fire (1083201623)

ShawnieGOLD Member
Captain Shawnie the Dreaded
126 posts

Posted:
One thing I am rather confused about is that there are people here saying that in North America it's hard for young people to get their hands on cigarettes... No it's not! It's so ridiculously easy. I was able to steadily smoke a half pack a day by the time I was 12. People, don't forget that most young people go to school. And trust: you can get just about anything you want at school. And also remember a lot of young people (like16 years old) Work in gas stations, grocery stores.. etc where it's easy for them to buy them themselves. There is money to be made in selling ciggies to 14 year olds and they know it. It sucks. It's disturbing. But it's true.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Quote:

ppl love to smoke coz its soothing and its relaxing and stuff

Are you honestly able to tell me that the first cigarette you had was soothing and relaxing and didn't make you want to start coughing?

I find it very difficult to believe that people actually start smoking because they've heard of the miraclulous soothing effects.

Quote:

if u dont like it then go live under a rock in a cave coz u cant get away from the fact that young ppl smoke. like its all around me everyday and censored. get fuckin used to it

If everyone always took that attitude, we'd still be living in caves and hitting each other with clubs.

Quote:

i cant be held responsoble for my own actions. plz dont hate me... i need a smoke NOOOW mad2

Are you sure you actually love to smoke, or do you not have a choice?
EDITED_BY: TheBovrilMonkey (1083035470)

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

wtf so u would rather your kids do herion than tobacco.... u have fuked up priorities man thats just crazy... u do realize that one hit of heroin gets u hooked like a muther fucker and you cant get off easily... you can have 10 packs of smokes and not be hooked. my mate pot was laced with heroin and he had to go to hospital to get off it he was in there for 3 days and went under intence treatment to get off it. i think u should re-consider your thoughts

I think I know an awful lot about it and I think I've seen a lot more problems caused by tobacco than by any other drug.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

take the fuckin pole out of ur ass and wake up... ppl love to smoke coz its soothing and its relaxing and stuff like if u dont like it then go live under a rock in a cave coz u cant get away from the fact that young ppl smoke. like its all around me everyday and censored. get fuckin used to it ubbloco and yes i smoke im 17

And with that attitude, I hate to say it, but you deserve everything you're going to get from it.

-Mike

chappas4306member
24 posts

Posted:
when i had my first drag i didnt cough coz my dad smoked when i was a little kid and he did it all the time and i passively smakoed so much that my lungs were used to it

as for starting i only did it coz i saw how my mate fully just relaxed and i wanted to have the same effect

and your point about us all living in caves hitting each other with clubs... i would love that coz we wouldnt be destroying our earth with harfull gasses and destroying the environment and stuff.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Quote:

and your point about us all living in caves hitting each other with clubs... i would love that coz we wouldnt be destroying our earth with harfull gasses and destroying the environment and stuff.

destroying with harmful gases? ironic coming from a smoker....

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

chappas4306member
24 posts

Posted:
touche... but i dont do that much... like i do but its not so much that im destroying the environment

chappas4306member
24 posts

Posted:
well im glad u r aware of the full effects of heroin and pot... and i hope ur kids dont try it

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
i missed out on the entire teen smoking thing mainly cos its just too expensive!!

i would rather spend my money on FUN things! like.....

weavesmiley and juggle and cool

chappas4306member
24 posts

Posted:
lol quite true the money aspect is terrible frown...

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
humm chappas4306 you seem quite confused as to what your saying first you say smoking soothes and relaxes it in-fact dose the opposite it stimulates you nervous system to such an extent that it becomes over worked and you start to rely on this stimulation so it is a false relaxed infact are dependant on it (your addicted) and as most people know tobacco is one of the most addictive substances and along with that addiction is one of the most harmful.

OK heroin me be incredibly addictive but the actual harm it causes to the body are minimal. things like coke and pot are not actually chemically addictive just mentally.

so just admit it mate you are killing your self and you have no choice in the matter. and at the same time along with your fellow smokers are costing the NHS millions so do us all a favour and just quit. ubbloco

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

......as for starting i only did it coz i saw how my mate fully just relaxed and i wanted to have the same effect

Allen Carr offers a good analysis concerning the common view that smoking relaxes and soothes.

When a smoker puts out their cigarette, the nicotine starts leaving their body, after a while a craving commences which is percieved as stress.

That feeling persists until another cigarette is smoked, then the cycle begins again.

So, in a sense, smoking does relieve the stress, but that stress is itself caused by the fact that you're a smoker in the first place.

Carr uses the analogy of a person who spends all day wearing too tight shoes so they can experience the bliss of removing them at the end of the day.

I smoked for ten years, through many failed quitting attempts, persistence and luck, I escaped. As a smoker I was stressed, as a non smoker I still get stressed, but to nowhere near the same extent.

Look around oyu, be objective, who're more stressed, smokers or non smokers?

You mention your friend and the number of times you saw his stress dissolve when he lit up. Ask yourself why he was stressed out so often; is it because he was desperate for a smoke.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

OK heroin me be incredibly addictive but the actual harm it causes to the body are minimal. things like coke and pot are not actually chemically addictive just mentally.

As for Lightnings heroin commment, he's right, smoking kills and maims way, way, more people than heroin.

Also, having finally successfully escaping smoking, and coming to realise fully that if i ever again put a cigarette in my mouth, my habit will recommence where it left off; if I had to choose between taking heroin for a month and smoking for a month, i would go for the heroin, no doubt about it.

At least with heroin I'd be in with a chance of getting off it, I really can't say the same about smoking.

Don't get me wrong, heroin is a stupid thing to get into and one of the reasons it doesn't cause as much misery as tobacco is purely because far less people do it.

As for pot, harmful/addictive or not, like I posted before it is currently a prime factoe in getting a new generation of young people hooked on nicotine (at least in the UK/Europe, where it is generally smoked in tobacco spliffs).

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I think if people were taught more how to control their cravings, a whole LOT of stuff would be solved in this McCountry.

I completely agree with i8beefy2 here, and about more than just smoking. This goes well with alcohol as well. However, how does one go about teaching someone to control themselves when faced with something that is addictive?

In order to really know your limits, you need to be a strong individual to know that you can try something without becoming addicted to it. You have to know that you can do not have to do all the things your current group of friends are doing and still have friends. I think a big reason kids start smoking these days is to still fit in at school. Everyone needs friends, and I think we will all agree that losing any is difficult.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

So with Heroin I'm worried about 3 things:

1) Acute overdose (you die because you stop breathing)
2) Viruses (Hep B, C, and HIV mainly)
3) Bacterial endocarditis (bacteria introduced into the blood stream travel to the heart and set up shop on the valves, throwing clots into the lungs, some of which make it through the lungs and set up shop on the left side of the heart, now throwing clots into the kidneys, the brain, the gut, etc.)

(2) and (3) happen because Heroin is illegal. If it were legal and users could get clean needles and clean junk, they wouldn't happen. If people snorted clean heroin it wouldn't happen, either.

(1) is always a risk, but people can die of acute alcohol toxicity, too.

I've had patients who have been on opioid drugs (generally by mouth) for *years* and had no ill effects other than constipation.

With marijuana the big risk is that it gunks up the lungs. It's not known exactly how it compares to cigarettes, but this "1 joint=10 cigarettes" BS is just that...BS. I have no idea how that silly statistic came about. For all I know, it might be true. But if it is true, it's true by blind luck alone and not because it's based in any fact.

There's also evidence that in people who smoke a lot of pot, that it might have subtle effects on memory and concentration even after they are abstinent.

But I can see on a CT scan of someone's brain if they've been a heavy drinker because the brain is shrunken. Not so of marijuana.

The only reason that alcohol and tobacco are legal while the others aren't is cultural. The old, white men who make the laws are familiar with these two drugs. And so, in spite of the fact that they are among the two most dangerous drugs known to man, they remain legal while far less harmful drugs are banned.

Having said that, the only way to avoid harming your body at all with drugs is not to do them. There are no safe drugs.

-Mike

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
Love you lightning smile you said things I was thinking but am far to lazy frown to put it down.

Are you a doc? confused ( I've had patients who have been on opioid drugs (generally by mouth) ) ha ubbidea scrub that just read your intro thread # med student #. I’m in the final year of my nursing degree is incredibly boring.
(PS looking all smart & stuff this is my second degree my first was in Bio-Medical Engineering got a 2-1 not as smart as you though med is so hard my X girl was doing it I sat in on some of her lectures eek pbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrffffffhhhhh eek (that was the stuff going straight over my head))

And I'm not condoning the use of drugs such as heroin in fact they scare me silly eek from my upbringing my parents seemed to get the message across that things like heroin and coke where just wrong. Even now I’m more educated and know the effects and risks involved of most things I will still never do them and not because it illegal but because I don’t want to. I don’t smoke and don’t drink often ( redfaceI’m such a light weight 3 pints I’m on my back redface)

ubbangelAlthough I do admit to a bit of pot every now and again ubbangel ok ok more often than I should (look of shame as my assignment,s don’t get done yet again again must be the memory loss) ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

ASTRO FAERIEBRONZE Member
ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
Quote:

take the fuckin pole out of ur ass and wake up... ppl love to smoke coz its soothing and its relaxing and stuff like if u dont like it then go live under a rock in a cave coz u cant get away from the fact that young ppl smoke. like its all around me everyday and censored. get fuckin used to it ubbloco and yes i smoke im 17

In response to this.....fine, have that attitude.
If it doesnt bother you why not visit a hospice or a cancer care ward and see if you still have the same opinion.
Oh! and have you seen a close relative after theyve just died of cancer, its not a pretty sight beleive me, so stop being nieve and behaving like a kid that knows it all. Yes your 17 and you probably think your invincible, well guess what, you arent!!.
These opinions here are not from people being arsey they are here because we actually care about what happens to the people around us.

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
You know, everyone who talks about smoking talks about lung cancer.

Lung cancer isn't what's most likely to kill you. Yes, you are at amazingly increased risk of head and neck cancer as well as small cell carcinoma of the lung (which has a 95% mortality rate after 5 years and no cure on the horizon).

But EVERYONE who smokes long enough gets COPD. And the more you smoke, the worse your COPD. And COPD will kill you. And it kills you by smothering you to death.

-Mike

Daimember
22 posts

Posted:
Cannabis is more carcinogenic (i.e. more potent cancer causing agent) than tobacco, and the research I heard was 3:1. Howevery this doesn't give a good picture of 'real world' effects as people who smoke cigaretts will often smoke more than 3 times as much stuff as cannabis users i.e. a tobbacco smoker could be smoking 10 ciggarets a day Vs. a cannabis user smoking a joint a day.
Also a key problem for those interested in the effects of cannabis is the lack of scientific research, in this country at least it's deemed immoral to carry out research on cannabis use & users - it may be seen as condoning the use of the drug etc.
ON the issue of heroin does it not cause emmotional and sever pshycological problems?! Not to mention people wasting away their lives taking a drug (which causes then all sorts of problems) in a misguided attempt to hide from their problems instead of 'biting the bullet' - tacckling their problems and trying to make a go of their lives! soapbox

even a frisbee is a lethal weapon in the hands of the wrong person

chappas4306member
24 posts

Posted:
really... i didnt noe that thanx

my mates smaokes because he has a mum who makes his life hell and a good freind who is gunna commit suicide over the smallest issues.

and when he lights up he becomes the most pleasant persn to be with, like yes he does crave smaokes but that is just one of the reasons why he is stressed

so in retrospect yes i do but its deos help with other stuff aswell

chappas4306member
24 posts

Posted:
and i thank you for it but i do not think i am invincible...

and no joke my grandad died of cancer when i was 13 and i saw him die but im not gunna let someone elses life and death effect mine im gunna live my life how i wanna live it and if i wanna smako i will and u cant do anything to stop me... sorry to say

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

really... i didnt noe that thanx

my mates smaokes because he has a mum who makes his life hell and a good freind who is gunna commit suicide over the smallest issues.

Sorry to be constantly disagreeing, but I have to question this.

As I'm sure you know, lots of young people are facing exactly those stresses, and some worse than that; they don't all try to deal with it by smoking.

Trying to deal with stress through smoking or any type of drug is not a good approach.

Being young is stressful, but so is being middle aged. The stresses are different but just as real and, if you don't want to be a victim of them all your life then it's a case of finding a good way of dealing with them.

Using smoking or drugs simply masks them and generally ends in the same problem coming up again and again.

Like I said before, look around and ask who tends to deal with stress the best, smokers or non-smokers? When I did that it was the non smokers.

Something I didn't mention before is that successfully escaping a smoking habit is an incredibly empowering experience; to go from being someone who was compelled to buy and consume 30 cigarettes a day and go through hell if I tried to not do so- to being able to walk away from it easily by taking control of my own mind.

That ability to see through the delusions that kept you hooked can be applied to so many other areas of your life- to all the negative ways of thinking that you accumalate from living in this culture.

To quit smoking is not about depriving yourself, it's the exact opposite. If you smoke, you're selling yourself short- you're missing out.

By quitting you're not sacrificing a means of coping with stress, you're removing one of the prime blocks to dealing with that stress.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
very well said, onewheel. I completely agree that looking inside yourself or turning to religion to find a way to deal with life's stresses is a much better long term solution than turning to any sort of drug be it legal or not.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Cannabis is more carcinogenic (i.e. more potent cancer causing agent) than tobacco, and the research I heard was 3:1.

Do you have a study that shows this? I'd be interested to see it.

Quote:

ON the issue of heroin does it not cause emmotional and sever pshycological problems?! Not to mention people wasting away their lives taking a drug (which causes then all sorts of problems) in a misguided attempt to hide from their problems instead of 'biting the bullet' - tacckling their problems and trying to make a go of their lives! soapbox

And this is different from alcohol...how?

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

and no joke my grandad died of cancer when i was 13 and i saw him die but im not gunna let someone elses life and death effect mine im gunna live my life how i wanna live it and if i wanna smako i will and u cant do anything to stop me... sorry to say

Oh, I'm well aware of that.

The gentlemen who I see on my service started smoking before the dangers were made widely known. I can forgive them for that.

However, the gentlemen who I see on my service who started smoking AFTER 1955 or so, I have no sympathy for. They went into it knowing full well what it could do for them.

You watched someone you loved die of cancer caused by smoking and you're going to smoke anyways and you don't care. You aren't willing to listen to the lessons of those who are older, wiser, and more experienced you...even if that lesson is learned by watching that older, wiser, and more experienced person die a horrible death?

It speaks of a stupid, youthful arrogance.

-Mike

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
hmmm.... trying to think of the best way to put this.

dont think sure 'stupid, youthful arrogance.' is the problem. the problem is that we are only human. we arent perfect - and tend to be rather stubborn.

everyone makes bad desicions.

personally as a teenager, perhaps even now i would rather learn from my own mistakes and experiences than others.

can you say you never made a bad decision - even when everyone around you and even you yourself deep down inside knew it was wrong?

we seem to get adicted to the pleasures of our lifestyles too easily...

no, im not removing the personal responsibility and stupidity of smoking. its your own fault as far as im concerned.

oh dear. i havent explained that well at all have i. hopefully you get the vague point.
EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1083215739)

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
I hear you Den, we are stubborn creatures sometimes, and as I mentinoed earlier in this thread, it really wouldn't have mattered what anyone said to me - I still personally wanted to experience smoking. I still get stupidly sentimental about it - years after giving up - and I know that's not logical, but it's how I feel.

I think you make a good point about us being imperfect creatures, some of us are more imperfect than others, and if told something will burn us, we still have to touch it hug

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Quote:

if told something will burn us, we still have to touch it hug

ubblol an excellent analogy - i can certainly relate to that

should this maybe be moved to social discussion?

Page: