Forums > Other Toys > Where to buy fire nunchucks?

Login/Join to Participate

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
I saw a guy at a fire/drum gathering spinning double fire chuks and they look quite fun. I've dabbled in to chuks in the past and never really got in to it as much as other fire arts, and I'm interested in learning double chucks.

I did a search and came up with no online shops to buy fire nunchucks... can anyone suggest one? If not, can anyone suggest one that I could just wrap kevlar around? I was thinking about just wrapping some spare kevlar that I have around some aluminum 12-14" chucks, and putting tennis racket grip tape 3-4" away from the flame around the aluminum to help with heat issues. I'd much rather just buy chucks made for fire, but if anyone has done something like what I suggested, please post...

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
ive got a mate called rich and does flaming chuks and double chucks too.
he made his which is what id suggest.
its always the way. if you cant find something you want. build it.
shouldnt be too bad you only have one joint to make.
try it you may surprise yourself

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Someone say something about making a joint? ubbangel

Aaaaaanyway - I'd agree with 'Smit about making one.

The one's I've seen have had small cathedral wicks screwed into the ends (not too big unless you've got very accurate catches) with some STRONG chain beween the two.
Also, as you're not going to be hitting people with them - you can be kind to your hands and pad them up with lots of nice grip.

Then, go to a Martial Arts school and learn 'em properly.
Or play Soul Calibur 2 alot with Maxi wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Hmm... how would you connect the cathedral on to the end of the aluminum chuck? I guess I could get a metal bore bit and rig it up somehow, but exposed metal is icky.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I'd suggest wooden chuck with metal tape and screw it right into the bottom. That way there is no heat issue except for the wick and fire. biggrin

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Can you suggest anywhere to buy a pair of high quality chucks like that? minus the kevlar portion, of course.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Checkout your local martial arts stores or go online. I found this on my first try, all kinds of wooden nunchucks. My frend Dave King has a pair or two he made this way and they work great, granted he wrapped the bottom of the handel in wick like a tubecore, which sacrifices some of the grip room, but do you really use that part? Could keep them from getting too long. smile

Cody Canon

Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Hmm, few more final questions:

1. Where can I buy "metal tape"? Is all of it fireproof?

2. Could the wood I'm drilling in to possibly degrade/burn due to heat?

3. The chucks I'm considering buying are on this page:

https://gungfu.com/cart-htm/weapons_japanese_weapons_nunchucks.htm

6th picture down, wooden octagon chucks on the right, 14" long. I'm probably going to wrap the end of the chucks in that metal tape stuff, assuming it is fire proof, and then use a tube core design and wrap it around there, and either glue or bolt it in to place. I'm afraid of splitting the wood if I bolt it, so glueing would be my first choice. Think that'd work, or will the wood fail in some way? I plan on covering the rest with a bit of tennis racket grip for extra grip for hand rolls as well as heat dissipation, as long as I keep it a few inches away from the wicking to keep it from melting.

I'm super excited about this now, just took apart some tube core wicking and I'm all prepared to go to a martial arts store tomorrow to see if I can buy them in a shop rather than online to avoid shipping costs and time.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Personally I wouldn't bother buying them - essentailly all you need is two (or four) short secions of wood, linked by a chain - you could make them for about £4 plus kevlar...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
just make sure you use a hardwood.
it will last longer and if its treated can take quite a burning before breaking down into a charred mess.

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Smit, can you suggest something to go between the kevlar and the wood? "Metal Tape" was mentioned but I don't exactly know what that is.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
You can buy metal tape at any hard ware store look for aluminum foil tape (without foam). Yes it is fire proof all of the staffs swords torches etc. we make has it. It insulates the wood and keeps it from burning. Wrap the bottom in metal tape, wrap your kevlar, drill a pilot holes to keep the wood from spliting and screw it down with wood screws. I'd suggest buying nunchucks, they are not that expensive and your sure to get the right wood and proper construction (technically). Have fun cool

Oh and check my gallery and look at my fan poi as we call them. Pretty much same construction your looking for. just stretched out. biggrin

Cody Canon

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
hay, just out of interest where do you get normal nunchucks?! ive always wanted to try. are they easier to do if you can do poi? x weavesmiley

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
Written by: pinkkaos

are they easier to do if you can do poi?

the short answer is yes the long answer is yes cos you've already mastered the skill of geting things to spin properly and makeing them change direction so you just have to learn the nunchuck moves as aposed to the nunchuck/poi moves i've got a pair of double glow chucks and i reugaly give them to people who do poi but have never touched a pair of nunchucks before and they can use them as poi instantly oh one tip though with poi you mostly spin forwards with nunchucks you mostly spin backwards as for buying them www.playwell.co.uk stock them
------------------------

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
oh and if your going to make fire nunchucks just make them out of some metal tubeing thats how i made mine its far easyer than wood its more durable and lighter because there hollow

infact if you want to build a pair

Fire Nunchuck Build Guide

that should help biggrin
EDITED_BY: robnunchucks (1112576619)

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

Fire_Freak_Burnernewbie
13 posts

Posted:
Here are some

https://fire.trickconcepts.com/tcf-004-06.htm

~F

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Fire_Freak_Burner

Here are some

https://fire.trickconcepts.com/tcf-004-06.htm

~F

Are you by anychance slyly advetising that site on here mister?
Three links in 3 threads so far..

I'm not sure what the rules are on HoP for advertising other busniness, but I would assume that rather than sneakily putting in a link here and there you could make a thread, and ask people to check the site out.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Aimée it has been reported. There are loads of them!

I wonder if Fire_freak_Burner would enjoy all the regular members of HoP Emailing him all day with nothing more than the HoP forum address? I'm guessing it would get a tad annoying. Why he feels he can spam the boards of another business with his address I don't know. He isn't even polite enough to have a link to Home of Poi on his site, even though he are trying to poach Malcolms customers from here.

Not very nice behaviour!

P.S. I don't really advise anyone to email him.... I was just using it as na example of how annoying he could become.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

havocangelmember
53 posts

Posted:
Yeah, making them yourself will probably be you're best bet. I had to make mine as well. I used alumnium tubing sence it conducts very little heat. used some pulmbing sweats as caps for the ends drilled through the sweats on one side and attached an eye bolt through the sweat before heating them up to the tubing. I did it this way so that the chain could freely spin I couldn't find a swivle kit to use for it so I had to kind of right it as best I could they work really well though. Two ways you can do the wicks. If you're confident of you're skill you can do a wrap around the end of the handle. I wouldn't suggest this method if you're not really really good. The second is to attach a wick to the end of the handle cap.

The thing I like about my chucks is that they're very light I can spin them for hours if I have to. They don't conduct much heat. Although you can't add cushie padding to keep you from giving yourself a nasty wack on the head if you're just learning, but they say pain is the best teacher :P