Page: ...
AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
does anyone have any tips or advice or anything to share about dying dreadlocks?

I've had mine for quite a few years, and, well, umm, redface I'm going a bit grey umm, and I'd actually like to dye that out.... but it's been soooooooooooo long since I've dyed my hair, and have never died dreadies, so... ubbloco any tips?

(sorry to the mods if this is in the wrong spot...)

ubbrollsmile

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
fankooooooooooo biggrin hug

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Yeay for hippieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Sparklygreenfire*Green Spirit*
201 posts

Posted:
Yay indeed....

biggrin

So how are we all today then? Mucho good me hopes!!
What kinds of weird comments have you guys had regarding your dreads? This guy came up behind me in the market a few weeks back and he said "I didn't know Girls had dreads!!" ubblol Before he proceeded to add "They look very scruffy Dreads do..."

I think he needs a modern rocket up his arse!! biggrin

Are you a robot...or an alien?

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sparklygreenfire

So how are we all today then? Mucho good me hopes!!
What kinds of weird comments have you guys had regarding your dreads? This guy came up behind me in the market a few weeks back and he said "I didn't know Girls had dreads!!" ubblol

ubblol

I was asked once if I was a Rastafarian ubblol

but mostly i get asked about washing it... shrug

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
I work with kids alot, and I've had 'cool hair, are you from Jamacia' or simply 'why did you do that to your hair?'. Kids are wonderful creatures. biggrin

Never hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, go into your brain and that's where shitty idea's come from.

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
ubblol i always seem to get the "can i touch it? ohhhh its soft and it doesn't smell like Peee, i thought they were supposed to smell like peee" rolleyes honestly these normal haired people, but i do love kids reactions esp when i have died it many different colours.

my fave thing though was said by my grandad as i walked into his kitchen one day all i got was "Melly when was the last time you put a brush through your hair your starting to get rats tails?" when i told him they were supposed to be like that he replied "come here then and let me cut them off, your gran needs a new mop head" ubblol

7,193 posts

Posted:
ubblol i normally get asked why and if i wash them etc.

my answer for why is basicly with long hair it's hard for me to control as my hair when straight is unruley. so by having them dreaded i can tie it back and dont have individual strands tickling y nose or getting in my eyes.

as for if i wash it..............i wash it in the blood of a decapitated armadillo as i perform my evil rituals biggrin ubblol

201 posts

Posted:
Hahahaha...

Yeah kids are funny, it's when you're walking down the street and the kid holding mums hand infront turns around and keeps staring at you...then you hear, mummy...look at that ladies hair!! Bless..
Everyone wants to touch it. Went out for drink with the lovely Fluff last night and we were chatting away, next thing I know something was tugging my hair...I turned round and the guy who'd been sitting at the bar had come up behind me and was touching it, he didn't even ask...made me jump..lol. But yeah, I also get the "Do you wash it?" loads biggrin

7,193 posts

Posted:
i was thinking of doing something whacky with my dreads at a few festivals this summer biggrin

i dont know if anyones seen them or knows what i mean so i'll try my best to describe them....

QD or other pound shop sometimes sell them, they are cheapo glow sticks, but really thin and you get lots of colours in a pack. you can make them into a mulit coloured glowing sphere. they cost about £1.50 or there abouts............

i want to thread these thin long glowsticks into some of my dreadlings biggrin

*i'll try and get pics if i am brave enough to do it wink

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
yes its doable and looks uber pretty, make sure you take them out though as they stick in your head... also if they snap it goes all over your hair which them temp turns into glow dread

201 posts

Posted:
Cool, that would look well nice...but yeah, yukky chemicals on dreads wouldn't be a good thing!

7,193 posts

Posted:
i dont like putting chemicals in my hair

it's a waste wink

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
ubblol *has images of rave doing something that is not recomended and peeing glow weee eek ubblol that would be rather funny

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
ubblol

kids tug on my dreads on the bus, makes me smile....

and yeah glow sticks are pretty easy to thread through... i have yet to try sticking them directly in the middle of a dread, but can thread em at the roots...

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

926 posts

Posted:
i put dreads in my boyfriends hair, yaaay!!

in other news possibly purpley dready goodness on its way.... i mthinking about it anyways....but it would be washout cos i dont want to keep redying..

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

7,193 posts

Posted:
wicked news biggrin be carefull when choosing purple hair dye's some look really pants when they start washing out wink

926 posts

Posted:
hmm. oh, hey im pretty stuck im running extremely low on fimo and no dole coming through as of yet, gonna have to work my ass of for eastern haze man... eek

Owned by Brenn smile

7,193 posts

Posted:
i got quite a few hundred all ready to sell, went into one of the shops i sold some to and i sold them at 40pence per bead, this shops selling them at 97pence per bead or 7 for £10 ubblol i can do them for £5 for 10

eek and i was shocked to see how much a fine toothed "dread comb" cost ubblol after all it's really a flea comb................£8.99 ubblol i got mine form a pet shop and it cost me only £1.50 biggrin

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
for anyone that's interested, I came across this thread for deep cleaning your scalp from all the build up. I've tried it once, and it does actually work.

"This works sooo good~ and most of you probably have all the stuff available right now so try it out !~ Get a BIG bowl of warm water, mix in about 3/4 c of baking soda, 8-9 drops of tea tree oil, 2 T of lemon juice, and 2T of salt stir until well dissolved. use a squirt bottle or something to apply to your scalp and soak all your dreads real well ~ wrap up in a towel and let them sit for like 1/2 an hour or so ~ then rinse( and rinse again ). Now I dunno if I just have really dirty dreadies or something but when I rinsed my hair the water was muddy brown ~ gross!~ It deep cleans the middle of the dread I guess. I do this like once a month now.(Aside from using regular shampoo)"

Never hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, go into your brain and that's where shitty idea's come from.

7,193 posts

Posted:
-----------------------BUMP------------------------------------

happy birthday to my dreadlings bounce one year old today.....well at some point this weekend i'm not tooo sure..........i'm still a twisted wobbly mess ubblol

.......................mmmmmmmmmmmm...................bed me thinks wink

p.s. and NO i didn't get caught up in any riots this year biggrin
EDITED_BY: ravehead (1188211418)

926 posts

Posted:
ah mine had theirs in june... *le sigh* #memmrieeees...dada daa da da daa daaa..#

leah im gonna try and test your mix, see what happens...and im remembering about those beads im just lazy and skint... frown hug p.s. what does c stand for with baking powder?

Owned by Brenn smile

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
hehehe, yeah sorry, that stands for cup.

7,193 posts

Posted:
what size cup? B,E,GG??ubblol

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
I recently got dreads... smile

I've only had them for just under two weeks, and I've still got little elastics bands at the roots and on the tips.

I can't wait till they mature, but they feel very fragile. tongue

And I'm in two minds about using the dread wax...

I'd like to see your dreadie pics Rave!

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
i don't use wax in mine,don't like the stuff, yes it means i get fluffy dreads at times (esp the top at the minute) but hell i don't care, lol

7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: McAlpine

I recently got dreads... smile

I've only had them for just under two weeks, and I've still got little elastics bands at the roots and on the tips.

I can't wait till they mature, but they feel very fragile. tongue

And I'm in two minds about using the dread wax...

I'd like to see your dreadie pics Rave!

first things first, try not to put anything in your hair as it could start to rot causing stinky dreads wink secondly, take out the elastic bands mate, the oils in your hair will degrade the rubber and it will start to break down and melt into you dread. try to use anything with a hole like nuts (from bolts) springs etc they are the shiznitz wink

Written by: GothFrogette

i don't use wax in mine,don't like the stuff, yes it means i get fluffy dreads at times (esp the top at the minute) but hell i don't care, lol

ubblol i have loads of regrowth from all the bits of hair that got ripped out when i did my dreads so i'm a bit fluffy up top at the mo froggy ubblol

as for pics...........................

Non-Https Image Link
(some time in 2006)

Non-Https Image Link
(about january time this year i had over 300 beads in my dreads then ubblol )

Non-Https Image Link
(2 months ago)

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Nicely decorated dreads!! wink

Hmm... take out the bands you say?

I must admit they're annoying me a little, as any lose hairs are a bugger to get under neath the bands and tend to mat in over the top of them.

The only problem is that one or two of my dreads feel quite fragile, and I fear that if I un-band them then they may get all scruffy after I sleep. They havn't really matured yet you see... I was gonna take off the bands in a couple of months.

Think I should take 'em out now?

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

Skrytinn_QveldrigaBRONZE Member
delectatio morosa, gaudium, desiderium
160 posts

Posted:
my hair is kinda dreading right now, but as im not opposed to having no hair ive decided to let them do it entirely on their own, the only thing i do to them is pull apart the big fat clumps when two or three of them try to mate with each other...
science experiments are fun

meow
biggrin happy little panda bear biggrin
peace
i love you

7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: McAlpine

Nicely decorated dreads!! wink

Hmm... take out the bands you say?

I must admit they're annoying me a little, as any lose hairs are a bugger to get under neath the bands and tend to mat in over the top of them.

The only problem is that one or two of my dreads feel quite fragile, and I fear that if I un-band them then they may get all scruffy after I sleep. They havn't really matured yet you see... I was gonna take off the bands in a couple of months.

Think I should take 'em out now?

thanks biggrin i make the beads myself so they are all random patterns and mixes of colours, no two are exactly the same mix biggrin

as for removing the bands like i said they degrade and F*£k up your dreads, just make sure you roll your dreads between your fingers at every oppertunity wink scruffy dreads look so much better and as with my beads no two peoples dreads are exactly the same so let them do their own thing hug

926 posts

Posted:
yay for fluffiness!! it bugs me sometimes but i love it really...

i dont use wax much but i got this really nice homemade natural stufff, smells reeeally good ...

Owned by Brenn smile

Page: ...