Forums > Social Chat > you biggest fire mistake.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
carbon_blackmember
38 posts

Posted:
i thought id like to start a post about people biggest mistakes with fire.

either when they first started or when ever really.

when i first started spinning i got fire happy and way to greedy.

i made this wikkedly big poi like the size of a rockmelon. and soaked it and started spining. with little knowledge and to much kero. i manages to make this really dodgy poi and span it around a bit thinking i was kool and it came apart. because it was saoked in kero and all the material came apart all the fuel caught on fire and a massive fire ball went up my arm. it was hot. i learnt from that. MAKE YOUR POI BETTER AND SAFER CARBON!!! spank

Friday night is FIRE night...

Life ain't life without atleast cheating death atleast once a day.

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Quote:

smoking with parrafin on your face is not a mistake, nor is putting a staff out with your arm. a mistake is an action that wasnt intended...

Firstly, I would just like to comment that those 2 events were relayed by someone who witnessed them, not someone who had done it themselves. If they were saying they did it themselves habitually, then there would be room for chastizing, but not merely in relaying of what others do.

Secondly, mistakes are not by nature unintentional. Like if I intentionally slap my girlfriend's arse, and she gets mad and slaps my face. The action was intentional, it seemed like a good idea at the time, but wasn't a good idea, thus, a mistake.

Not trying to give you shite, but that's how I see it. peace

And thanks to Pele for clarifying that parrafin is safe to blow with. I was under the impression that parrafin was the safest fuel to blow with, and was getting confused seeing people on here be shocked thta someone was using it for breathing.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Originally posted by Big Andy

And thanks to Pele for clarifying that parrafin is safe to blow with

No fuel is truely safe to blow with... and I'm afraid that that post may open a giant bucket of worms... I see bad things from this... truely bad times... ubbcrying

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

ShawnieGOLD Member
Captain Shawnie the Dreaded
126 posts

Posted:
I've been pretty lucky. My biggest mistake so far has been doing lots of wraps early on into my burn. Some fuel ended up on my pantleg from wraping the poi around it so much. Went up in flames. Luckily I wasn't hurt, and even better, my pants were fine too.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by Big Andy
And thanks to Pele for clarifying that parrafin is safe to blow with

No fuel is truely safe to blow with... and I'm afraid that that post may open a giant bucket of worms... I see bad things from this... truely bad times... ubbcrying

troy's completely right.
kero/paraffin is as toxic as it smells.
There's a fair number of you that like it's smell.
To be completely honest my gut churns at the smell of it, and i never let any soil my wicks, cus it takes effort to 'burn' the smell out as it were.
nothing's safe with fire, but toxic smell is a non-essential. frown

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
400-ish burns to my name, not a single incident so far. Unless you consider doing a lot of wraps and ending up with small burns on my arm a mistake, but I still do it, see no problem with it (Not painful and they fade in a week or two), and will continue to do it, unless someone can give me a reason not to... smile

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
hmm mistakes.
well in the line of firey poi theres always a few nicks and scrapes.. unavoidable really with wraps and learning and what have you but the only bad ones ive ever had are
once with sparkly poi i made a little error and one bounced off my front forearm but theyre so bloody hot that i got real nice lattice type patterns on me for ages.
glowsticks. they were too light. attached keys.hit self in face. blood everywhere. luckily i was at a bondage event wearing pvc so the fact i was dripping with blood kinda fitted in.

those are mistakes. they are ok.accepteble.by the by.par for the cousre and water under the bridge.
anyway this friday i went for a pint. workmates leaving do y'know what its like. got reall really drunk. couple of freinds back from work, theyd never seen fire or a poi and soo. you guessed they suggested doing a bit of fire. i went into the garden to have a little UNLIT play to make sure i could do it. couldnt. slipped hard on my ass (and on my mates devilsticks bending them at 90 degrees) poi flew off.
smit thinks 'im clearly to drunk to play with fire'.
jordan (my housemate) hands me a lit staff. i go on a mad mission to find my lost poi. not realising through my drunken idiocy that im holding. THE HOT END!!!!
ive really burnt my hand badly big ass blisters missing skin and ive burnt a huge hole in my finger (bang goes the contact juggling practice) about 5 mill deep its grim and yellowy,scratched my arms to shreds on nasty plants and had a horrible hangover waking up to find your hand full of pus and no idea how is bad.

its not big its not clever im not proud. safety is normally something i take seriously. wet towels. and (now) metal jars with lids for the parrafin.
firebreathing very occasionally. always practice with water first. and breathing water will help test out the conditions
but when im toooooo drunk i need strong people to restain me. sadly there werent any around. but i wont be doing that again in a hurry.or ever.
im having a bad week..

i guess the moral is this.
DONT GET RAVINGLY UNBALANCED PI**ED THEN TRY TO FIND POI IN OTHER PEOPLES GARDENS WITH A BIG HOT FIRE STAFF.
but you knew that anyway.
im off to pray to the poi god for forgivness for my disgraceful misdemeanors.

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

Kapura MataaroHoP resident longboarder.
195 posts

Posted:
i'm not posting to say that the idea of this type of thread is a good or bad idea...i'm not here to say that the people who want to act big for their injuries are morons or are just using their 'malcom-given' right to talk about safety in a format that some people obviously don't appreciate...i can see ALL sides of that arguement...

the bit that DOES get on the verge of messages such as this is people who see a post, immediately take it TOO seriously and jump on the soap box horse and gallop off into the sunset screaming like kamakaze banshee's about the safety aspect and how if you don't respect experiences you'll get cut down...

i don't think i've ever been angry when reading a post on H.O.P, and finally i found it...THIS IS RIDICULOUS!
!!YES safety is an issue!!
!! YES i am totally for being safe!!

BUT the reality is that embedded in this thread is a lot of knowlege that is being passed on, now..bear in mind that a lot of it is !COMMON SENSE! and we are getting somewhere...

i would love nothing better than to live in fire community where no one got hurt...i've *only* been spinning fire for about 8 months, so i'm a newbie and my opinion doesn't hold much weight...but i HAVE done 2 years Jodo (staff fighting) i smith my own weapons (tri-sectionals, etc...) and most of all, like i said before USE YOUR BL*0dy heads!!! its isn't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!

Kero is probably one of the safest of the readily available fire fuels you can buy...and unlike most people, having actually been burnt quite badly before i feel safer using it than anything else... i'm not expecting everyone to become supremely mature, or to feel that previous happenings are absolute truths...yes people get hurt; yes we should look at ways to prevent it, i'm trying to develop methods to be implemented by the salamanca crew for a safe reliable set up for site arrangemnt (eg: fuel here, gear here, PEOPLE here...) but lets face facts here...its all been tried, it is dangerous.. so lets minimise it but seriously, know that there are people WHO ARE proud of their scars..i am, but i'm not a bonehead which you are portraying, i'm proud of them because it shows i had the chance to survive and be smart/safe/fast enough to be here...

(gets off own soap box) i knew this honeymoon mentality wouldn't last... mad

"surely a longboarding fire spinner should have no trouble getting some action!"- NYC....

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
two things instantly spring to mind..

once, whilst doing a performance at my school, i breathed fire downwards DUH! *heat rises as does flame*. Ended up with me slightly burnign my face, the only time and audience has ever seen me visibly affected (had to empty my water bottle over my face to cool down).

secondly.. I set fire to one of my armpits too.

But i wasnt spinning fire...

and i was indoors..

and had just got out of the shower..

and to cut a long story short.. it involved me sprayed deoderant on my armpits, then seeing a lighter, and being bored..

I will leave it at that..

rolleyes

But I did learn from the armpit incident..and the frie breathing one. Wont be doing either ever again (breathing downwards that is...)

Um..and i GENUINLY accidentally melted both of UCOF Chirs' eyeLIDS together. Long Story. But it was only due to unbeliveably unlikely circumstances.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
The biggest fire mistake I've ever seen was a result of someone's chains (ball chain) and wicks getting completely dunked in the fuel bucket. Said person rescued them from the bottom of the bucket, spun them out like normal, and proceeded to light them on fire. Well, it turns out that each "ball" had actually retained fuel in it, so as soon as he started to spin, a huge fire ball went up his body. Luckily, the towel person acted super fast and was able to extinguish the flames without much damage at all to said individual. He only had singed hair.

The moral of the story is don't attempt to light your wicks on fire if you are using ball chain and the entire set has fallen to the bottom of the fuel bucket.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Change the keyrings more often now.

how about using quick links instead of keyrings? they are about a billion times safer as long (as you make sure they are tightly closed), last forever, and only cost about 40 cents more.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
as human beings we learn not only through our personal experiences but vicariously through those of others in the form of stories. if people who have injured themselves tell others how it came about then others might prevent such accidents happening to themselves. in the case of fire although it is also important to realise that it is unpredictable however many precautions you take, we still need to emphasise that the more care you take the less likely it is to happen and one of the best ways this can be done is through telling each other what can happen if you don't!

for myself, i've luckily never suffered serious injury as a result of fire. i have however come close and shall recount these experiences in the hope that others do not repeat my mistakes...

1. in the winter used to wear an old fleece jumper to keep me warm while not spinning. one day, while tired and very cold i forgot to take it off and the back caught fire and melted. luckily my fellow spinniners alerted me in time to put it out before the whole jumper went up or it melted through my t-shirt! Lesson: Never wear plastics when spinning fire, never spin alone, always have a smothering cloth...

2. upon first using a fire rope dart i confidently went for a neck wrap but misjudged it and got tangled for a long time but luckily somehow got out with my dreads still long and my head not hurt Lesson: Always be careful! i've started tying my hair back as well now... spank

also i notice no-one's put up a link to pele's story yet so here it is... A season in hell if you haven't read it yet i suggest you do!

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

RosscoOfficial HoP hobbity potato monster!
434 posts

Posted:
right, i didnt know wether to put this in this thread or the rant about drunk spinners thread but it basically goes something like this.

i'm on a beach, there is a really p****d guy spinning his fire staff and doing quite well, after about 30 more seconds he falls over, the staff flies out of his hands and then promptly lands on a tent. next thing i know the entire tent has burnt down (luckily no one was inside) and lots of shouting voices drifted along the beach to where me and my mates were sitting. so all in all it was a stupid thing to do and could have been very dangerous but no one was hurt so it is funny now! biggrin

O.B.E.S.E. Official Potato man.

Remeber kids.... Its all fun and games until someone loses a bol**ck! biggrin

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
i still dont know how your dreads wernt on fire after that neck wrap. im sure the fire was closer to your face than the end of your hair was.
good to see the headscarf coming into use though. good idea

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

carbon_blackmember
38 posts

Posted:
this reaction wasn't exactly what i was looking for but its good result all the same.

the point to this thread was for all of us spinners or blowers to kind of reflect on the mistakes we made as little babies in the big BIG world of fire.

some of us can look back and laugh at silly mistake and some of us cannot.

i see where people are coming from when they say SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY.

they say this because some of the mistakes they made were far to big to laugh at.

i sypathise with all of you spinners or blowers that have made huge mistakes whether it was when they started spinning or blowing or when they were good at it and it was an honest mistake.

we laugh at our mistakes from previous years.( about or not about fire ) but we dont go back and do the same thing, and if we do with do it with much caution.

deap down, we have learnt from our mistakes and laughing at them is only realising how silly we were.<---that part doesnt apply to people who made honestly unavoidable mistakes)

Friday night is FIRE night...

Life ain't life without atleast cheating death atleast once a day.

Page: