Forums > Social Chat > Damaging lies, how do i handle this?

Login/Join to Participate

StebbinsBRONZE Member
10th degree spoon weilder
171 posts

Posted:
So there is this boy in my last class on friday. He is the worst behaived student I've ever had the pleasure of teaching. Last friday he was so bad that i had to put him out into the hallway to do his work.. Three times i caught him making faces through the glass at the other students and not trying to do his work at all. So end up hitting him LIGHTLY in the BACK of his head with a couple of sheets of paper i had in my hand.When I came to work today (monday) my supervisor informs me that the boys mother called the president of the school at is home over the weekend! She told my boss the little bastard had told her that I hit him very hard with my HAND in is FACE. So now i dont know how to go about teaching this class. The little bastard is far too bad to just ignore but I'm afraid that if i fart too loudly that he will tell his mother that i kicked him in the face. What should I do about this?????

-Beeaaatch please, I'm the macaroni with the cheese.
-This message will self destruct in 10 seconds.

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
damn.
what a little [censored].
my mums a teacher and she had almost exactly the same problem a few years ago, hers was a little worse cos the kid was one of about 10 asians in the whole scholl, and even though he was a badly behaved little.tw@ he played the race card which helped complicate things loads.
i shoiuldnt worry about it, ive never heard of this sort of thing resulting in a any sort of discaplinary action on the teacher (and beleive me i would have done)
just carry out your actions as properly and as by the book as you possibly can.
dont beleive what happens on corination street!!!!!!
good luck dude

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Teaches here, especailly male teachers are told to keep their hands to themselves no matter what. Nothing that can be misconstrued.
My friend has just been through the mill for a comment she made to a student where she had the parent come in and hit her in the face afterwards. The parent now has a restraining order on her. Her "mistake" in the class was to use humour to deal with the situation.

If you have a good relationship with your principle with good communication they should support the teacher.

Good luck.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

StebbinsBRONZE Member
171 posts

Posted:
Quote:

The parent now has a restraining order on her. Her "mistake" in the class was to use humour to deal with the situation.

Im not sure what you mean.. Does your friend now have the order against the parent for hitting her? Did your friend use humour with the student or with the mother when she was confronted?

Ya I don't think I'm going to get in any trouble for this.. I'm pretty well thought of by the teachers and most of the students.. This kid is also known by the staff to be a little jerk.. It's funny the korean teachers actually hit the students all the time and nothing comes from that but i get sh*t for something as small as this.
EDITED_BY: Stebbins (1076325914)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yup. Welcome to teaching. smile

You've definitely hit upon a 'circle the wagons' type incident. Whenever something EVEN CLOSE to this happens I switch to DEFCON 4 and immidiately start mounting ireffutable defence.

It sounds too late now, but I'll tell you what'd I'd do in that situation, and you can adapt as you see fit.

Within a MINUTE of hearing of rumors of that I would immidately go to my Dean and insist on the following:

1) Put the kid in a room by himself to write a written statement.

2) Round up every human being that witnessed anything at all and get written statements from them. Kids as well as adults. Especially people that are impartial.

3) Go to my supervisor and explain in detail what actually happened. Be very clear in what you did not do.

It may be too late now, but a speedy defence is what usually stops these things.

If you think you have the administration on your side, and all of your "ducks in a row" as we say around here, go for a suspension and have the kid removed from your class. If the situation is still skechy and you are not well believed or don't have much proof, you may want to just let it lie. But I'd talk to my union and make sure that a student who accused me of assault was removed from my class forever.

I know all of the above doesn't translate directly into other school systems but that's what I'd do. If your defense is strong, go on the offensive. You shouldn't have to ever deal with this student again.

As a teacher you quickly learn that 99% of kids are great, and that other percent would gladly kill you for a better grade. Some students find it way easier to lie and get away with it than actually do the work. Protect your self.

#1 rule of Teaching: Cover your ass.

Sad but true. Good luck.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
kids can be $hits sometimes. some of the students in my textiles class today made a cover teacher cry and run out of the room. i think it all depends on the teacher if the students are gonna be bad or not. as soon as this woman walked in you knew she was gonna get ripped to shreds. sorry to hear about that. with the amount of kids there were in the room (assuming there not lil $hits like him) they will cover you. hug

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Oi, it's a good thing I'm not a teacher I might have whapped him one wink

As for what to do, go with NYC's advice, kids are stupid, chances are he'll change his story 10 times before he figures out exactly what he wants his lie to me. Obviously you didn't smack him, or he wouldn't have waited to get home before he told someone. Ask to have him removed, or bring duct tape to class and tape him to his desk so he's not disruptive.... although that might get you in more trouble...

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
wow NYC you're pritty conscientious(sp? i dunno either) i wish i had mates covering me like that all the time - peace of mind will be mine! ya may or may not wanna have kids, but can ya take care of mine wink ?!

hey stebbins, may you have the strength and wisdom to weather this storm in a school-sized teacup! peace

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

StebbinsBRONZE Member
171 posts

Posted:
hahaha ubblolThanks for the advice NYC.Ya i think your right about the 99% of kids been cool. I think there is a reason that this kid is so bad... Its because his mother is insane. I found out yesterday that she called the school 3 more times yesterday to make the SAME complaint she made to the boss over the weekend.. What, did she figure that people would forget in the half hour gaps between her calls??? It sucks because no one was around to see what really happened because i had sent him out into the hall... I think that the boy thought I was going to call his mother that day and get him in trouble so the first thing he did was make up that lie before the hammer came down on him.... here is the most wacked part his mother still sends him to my class even though she keeps calling the school..

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Quote:

#1 rule of Teaching: Cover your ass.

Sad but true. Good luck.

as a person whos rensta re both teachers, i knwo this rule well, and if you cant do it, make sure you hut them so hard that they cant say anything ubblol

im only joking, you should see some of the lil shite that i have to put up with day to day in schools, and the stupid muppets that they use to try and get them back into class!

just think, that if their rents cant control them, then how are you supposed to, if they get shouted at when they are at home, and smacked, and told to **** off and so on, how are you supposed to be nice to them and get them to behave?

dude i feel for you i really! we have amassive prob in school at teh mo, that i dont want to go into on here, but yeah, WOW its huge!

but im sure you didnt smack him, and if you did, papare dont hurt, i have seen teaching staff who have been working for years be attacked by kids, and them have to hold back fomr doing what comes natrually and smacking them away!

i have seen staff be pounced on (and not in a good pounce way) by studenst, and them not be able to do anything about it,. if a kid missbeahve you should be able to grab them, theorw them out for your room and shout at them so hard the pee themselves!

sorry if this si a bit militant for you guys, but my mum was attacked in her class room (my mum is a art teacher, and a loverly lady) by a girl of 16 who had been drinking vodka all morning, and she wasnt even allowed to defend herslef! and not even the dept head could do anything to defend himself!

god i wanted to rip her head off (i was at school at the same tiem, in the sixth form, and was the one who ran down and helped pull the girl off my mum, and the dept head and out of the way, otherwise she would have been flawed by teh dept, as i could see!

yeah so wtch out, they come from all over to get you!

cover your ass!

Step (el-nombrie)

StebbinsBRONZE Member
171 posts

Posted:
Quote:

my mum was attacked in her class room (my mum is a art teacher, and a loverly lady) by a girl of 16 who had been drinking vodka all morning, and she wasnt even allowed to defend herslef!

Well I guess the day that im attacked by a student is the day I'm banned from teaching because I WILL fight back.. Let me just start off by saying that i think violence is wronge when dealing with children.. BUT I do think that a certain amount of force should be granted to teachers in order to be able to control there class's. Teaching can be a very tricky bussiness. Too soft on bad kids and they walk over you and you lose control of the class. Too hard on good kids and you damage them emotionaly without even knowing it. I think this hands off idea for teachers is wronge. Students must respect the teacher and some times with bad kids the only way is fear. If the bad kids know the rules, by that i mean they know we cant touch them, then we're screwed.

HHHhhhhmmmmmmmm maybe i should actually slap the kid when no one is looking so at least something good can come from this mess ubblol just kidding ............. maybe wink

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
psychological warfare is the way to go biggrin

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
stbs you are right, i sat take two bad kids and infront of the rest smack their heads to gether, and tell them that the next kid who over cats will have their head smacked with the bad kid who is closet to them!

i mean it, i bloody hate most of teh lil shites i have to deal with, esp ones who attack teh teachers i knwo and respect!

Step (el-nombrie)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
IF you care, you might want to pressure for the student to be removed from your class until the accusations stop. It seems like a logical decision for administrator to make.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Maybe you need to work with admin and each time the student steps out of line call in admin straight away. So the student is always fully supervised and you cover your butt.

Take care
hug hug hug

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
I like my brother's approach to psychological warfare (he's an art teacher)

really bad kiddies he tells to stand in front of a swing door for ten minutes (it happens to be locked shut by him, but they don't know that)
he then makes a point of swinging the door open at other times during his lessons.
there is enough doubt in their mind that the door might swing into their noses that it counts as punishment.

he also makes his computer quack loudly every quarter of an hour to disconcert people being given a bollocking in his office
(less effective when left on for parent's meetings)

smile

good luck hug

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
As a student, one good tactic that is xtremely embarrasing to us is getting rinsed by the teacher. Thats My school's slang for taking the piss. We hate that. Speacialy if all the other kids laugh. Give im hell, hell soon submit.

Good Luck!

peace Peace Out! meditate

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."