MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Was watching Discovery channel last night and saw a show about Tokyo's plans to build a pyramid structure over Tokyo Bay that houses a city with a max population of 750,000 people. Not only that, but it will be built by ROBOTST! I thought it was crazy and wanted to share it with yall.

Description:

One of the most crowded cities in the world - and also one of the shortest on available land area - Tokyo, Japan is a city bursting at the seams. Hoping to relieve the stress of alarming overpopulation, the city's construction industry has trained its sights on the only vacant lot around - the waters of Tokyo Bay. Witness the impossible dream of city planners: to build a massive pyramid over the water, with skyscrapers suspended like peapods within its enormous frame.

Called the Shimizu Mega-City Pyramid, it would stand a kilometer tall and provide housing for up to 750,000 people. Even more amazing, the entire construction process may proceed without the work of a single human builder. With the invention of new super-lightweight materials, humanoid robots and self-assembling structures, the pyramid might be the first city in the world to build itself!

Interactive tour of the structure:

https://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/engineering/pyramidcity/interactive/interactive.html

This could revolutionize the world methinks.

EDITED_BY: ICoN (1074810885)

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
wow.

that's all i can say.

wow.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:

Hmm, it seems arcologies are well on their way to becoming reality.

I think the japanese should dig out their old copies of sim city so they're ready for the inevitable alien attack smile

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
How very sci-fi. Makes me think of The Diamond Age by Neil Stephenson (a *great* read btw) which starts in Nippon and uses diamond instead of glass because it's cheaper. Maybe I should read that book...again...

All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
YES.

YES.

YES

Everything they promised me I would receive in the future is here! Dome cities (well, pyramids are better then domes!) ROBOTS! Surely they will have hover cars, laser beams, tables which levitate your plate and makes a slight humming sound as you eat, virtual reality and rocket ships!

See my thread where I was enraged about being ripped off by the lack of the things I had mentioned above in the year 2000.

general spinmember
52 posts

Posted:
Holy Moly Mother Sod eek

I dont believe them, toasters simply cannot build that, theyll be doing poi next weavesmiley

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Meep... I don't like the look of that one.. It scares me... I don't think I'd want to live there at all... *bites nails*

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I presume it must be earthquake prove too since they have loads of 'em in Japan? :impressed: cool

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

borismcnorrisprofessional pedant
137 posts

Posted:
that sounds so cool. eek the only bit i don't like is the 'giant robots' that they'd use to build some fo the pyramid. what if they went wrong and tried to take over the world? they'd already have their own high-tech robot city to use as a base.

the end of the world is nigh mad

A warrior always returns to the fray. He never does so out of stubbornness, but because he has noticed a change in the weather - Paulo Coelho

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Quote:

the end of the world is nigh mad

Told ya so ubbloco

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I've always said, if "the Matrix" ever happens (machines take over the world) it will be the Japanese at fault. They are always coming up with advanced robots...and then building them. The latest ones can run, and do the moonwalk.... rolleyes I think the weave wouldn't be to far off.

Hell, Dio has a Unicron that can spin staff and breakdance.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
that is the scariest thing I have ever seen... eek eek eek eek

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
It is all a bit scary, don't you think we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves as far as technology is concerned? There are still countries where people have never heard of a computer - and Japan are going to build a massive pyramid thing, only using computers and robots..!!! eek

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
To be honest, I think it's a fantastic idea. It will help with the over population and from everything I read it creates practically no polution and is designed to withstand tsunamis, earthquakes and volcanoes (being in the ring of fire, and all). However, like most fantastic ideas it just sounds too good to be true. So many things could go wrong! But still, since I'm a huge science fiction/japanese culture geek with every William Gibson novel under my belt, I think it's pretty frickin' cool.

P*L*U*R

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
If you think about it, this could be the answer to a lot of the world's problems. Imagine if every city was built in this manner. Then, they had a tram grid connecting them all. This would almost eliminate the pollution that the millions of cars currently running in cities put out. It would also free up tons of space that could then be used for farming and other such things.

Sure, this is wishful thinking and hundreds of years from being possible but possible none the less.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Sounds freaky..

Raph

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Originally posted by Pink?

don't you think we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves as far as technology is concerned?

It's a fact that humans are afraid of change, heck, you should see me with a new "clean" pair of socks... but just think, what if way way way back in the cave people days, if one cave person said..."Grunt grunt grr, "Wheel"... Grunt, no... grr, afraid... grunt..." or something like that... tongue

We can't "stop" the future, (unless you put an a-bomb on the back of a flying monkey, and give it a carrot to give to the swimming squirrel... I've gone to far again... rolleyes) but we can enjoy what it is that we have today... ubbangel

Ya know, after reading this over... it might sound like a really good post, but it still doesn't make any sense... tongue

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Ask not what you can do for Arsn but what Arsn can do for your imagination. tongue

Polution can be solved right now and it doesn't require these things.....not really the point I know but I can't imagine cities keeping their charm and personalities with big yolks like these all over the gaff...cept maybe vegas and that's only if they put a rollercoaster on top of it wink

Or if they had a monkey swing from one to the eiffel tower...now that'd be charming... biggrin

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.