Posted:
how do I do it? Please teach me!! (if you can, attach a video, too)

borismcnorrisprofessional pedant
137 posts

Posted:
https://www.spherculism.com/tutorials/weave/3btW_btb_bwd_MV.html

prepare for pain!!

A warrior always returns to the fray. He never does so out of stubbornness, but because he has noticed a change in the weather - Paulo Coelho

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Quote:

prepare for pain!!

only if youve got little short pointless arms like mine, (well maybe not that bad), but i taught it to someone with long arms once, and they found it quite easy....

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I found that learning in stages helped. Try and pass the poi on each side behind you back, you don't have to do this together either, one at a time is plenty to start with. Then try doing a basic pass. Like skipping and crossing your arms but behind your back. Then just keep developing it more and more, eventually you'll be doing it back, for, sideways, turning and all da stuff you want. Don't forget that you'll need to build up your flexibility during moves and this can only come with practice. And don't stress over it, it'll come soon, it always does! smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
oh yeah, and try to remember that you're actually doing the same thing as you do when you weave infront of yourself, it's just your hands are in a different place...or is it your body in a different place?!?!

Good luck Poi Boi ubbloco

Let's relight this forum ubblove

PaliGOLD Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
Little tidbits of help - although I'm still working on forward btb (can only get 2 beats argh spank).

1) Listen to Custom Bug biggrin It's easier to learn any new move one hand at a time.

2) Lean forward - you'll need to do this for a while, but eventually should be able to get your hands in the correct position standing up all the way.

3) Be concious of where your hands are. They should be right by your tail bone and should never move too far apart.

4) Keep your planes flat - otherwise you'll hit your legs and maybe your eye eek

5) Let your shoulders turn when you switch sides of your body, but only if you need to and only as much as you need to. Too much wiggling and you look like a mad(wo)man.

That should do you for now - keep us updated!

peace ubblove weavesmiley

Genuineness only thrives in the dark -- like celery.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Quote:

try to remember that you're actually doing the same thing as you do when you weave infront of yourself, it's just your hands are in a different place...or is it your body in a different place?!?!

that's a great question to actually think about custom bug.
it turns out that the move actually is slightly different btb precisely because of where your hands are in relation to your body.

essentially btb weave has transitions (i.e. goes from one side of the body to the other) on the other side of the circles (180 degree's away from where the transitions happen in front of you).

discussed with a bit more detail [Old link] and although it sounds like a really small difference, it explains why btb weaves are trickier to learn than they seem they should be and why when learning them often the timing feels all wrong.

Non-Https Image Link

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Azrellemember
34 posts

Posted:
I just learned how to do this and i found that it was much easier the shorter strings i used (and i got less bruising on the back of my legs!) Learning it with clubs first might help. I'm really pleased i finally got this move done in time for the convention show i'm doing in 2 weeks time smile

Catsmiomember
37 posts

Posted:
I've been trying pretty steady for three days now and am just getting MAD... like.. mad..crazy mad... ok just flippin' frustrated.
My calfs are sore and my ego is hurting.
How long does this take the average joe?

"Don't be so humble, you are not that great."

Catsmiomember
37 posts

Posted:
eerrr calves rather then moooo calfs...

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
maby it took me a week of not so intensive practising to master it. try with one poi at the time and make surre you hold your hands relly high btb and you'll get it eventually

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Take it sloooooow.
Start by doing it with the right hand only, doing one beat on one side, one on the other. Then do it with the other hand. Then try and do a 2 beat weave. £ beat will come eventually

This may be different to everyone else, but I found it loads easier to start walking with the btb weave, forward mostly. I think it just helps shift your body in the position it needs to be.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
One way I found to reduce the frustration factor was to use sock poi because they're way easier to untangle than chains. It took me about three days of working on it, like Disc0 said, not so intensively, maybe half an hour per day, in 1 or 2 minute sessions interspersed in my regular practice routine, again in an effort to reduce hr frustration.

This was the third serious attempt to learn this move that I've made, the first two, obviously, resulted in failure but yesterday, I finally got it. I expect it'll take weeks before I get this move reliable enough to try it with fire.

I like the walking forward idea, why didn't I think of that?? but that's just one of the reasons I make use of this amazing resource called Home of Poi.

Good luck

georgia knewbie
19 posts

Posted:
you can also try it with a stick- i found it helps get your body to move the right way. you tie something to one end of the stick and hold it behind you in both hands. then try to get the thing on the end to make the same movements as your poi- one circle on the same side, then over then under your opposite arm. i don't know if i've explained this properly at all... you will tie your arms in knots for a bit
good luck
georgia x

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
I also just got it right, the way i learned was I started with a normal forward spin, then from there as my poi reached the bottom of their spin (around my ankles) I just crossed my right arm behind my back so that it followed the swing of the left one and then from there I made the left one swing to my right side and let the right one follow and just kept alternating like that ubbloco

Hmm... umm Hope that isnt as confusing as I think it is...

Oh, and like Aimee says, take it slow. ( I learned that the hard way redface)

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

daisylouBRONZE Member
la di da di da
147 posts

Posted:
hehe im trying to learn this again. tried a few years back and it hurt too much....was lucky to escape a black eye and two fat lips after my practice sesh last week hehe....but i think its making a little progress....my only problem being i lose hold of any coordination outside of my body space that i can see.....(how the hell was i a gymnast for so long??) so its proving tricky....with many ouches....but there was some useful stuff here so im off to practice again now:) along with some moves the fluffy fairy was teaching me and some ive been experimenting with:) yay....just gotta change clothes coz my dress straps keep falling down - eep! hehe

just a crazee daisy living in a crazy world

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
BTB Weave stay Jedi, forever.

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
i never really looked at any tips for this learning this move, it was one of those things i tried, and fealt the motions, and then just practiced the comon motions, its helpful if u can pick a direction for your weave that your most comfortable with, and i say pay more attention to where your poi are then what your hands are doing. You should already have enough practice with moving your hands if u are thinking of trying this move. Just concentrate on not hitting yourself. Took me awhile to get, but i would just try this every other day. Doing all my normal moves, fine tuning them. And then the more i would try btb weave. It just clicked.

good luck, its good when u get it

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

IcerSILVER Member
just a shadow of my former self...
205 posts

Posted:
the way i got it was gettin the 2bt weave goin btb, once that was workin fine, it was very simple to just put in that extra beat, the 3bt feels alot nicer than the 2, but i think the 2bt-btb is a good way to ease ur way into this move. if u try to go straight into the 3bt u can confuse the heck out of urself with wot hand goes where. thats the way i got it anyway. my teeth did thru my lip a couple times tho, prepare to be hurt.

It took a while, but once their numbers dropped from 50 down to 8, the other dwarves started to suspect Hungry.

Dazzl3rnewbie
1 post

Posted:
Can any1 help? just started learning poi and am learning the weave! Think i have got it right but it does'nt look the same as on the free lesson. my poi seem to be following each other rather than being 180 deg apart is this right???????

SniperBRONZE Member
Snoochie-boochie-noochies!
663 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

essentially btb weave has transitions (i.e. goes from one side of the body to the other) on the other side of the circles (180 degree's away from where the transitions happen in front of you).

i think of it as basically the same move just rolled 180 deg forwards due to hands being upside down too. unless it's just me

Catsmiomember
37 posts

Posted:
Sock poi, great idea... Yes... twisting chains is irritating.