Forums > Social Chat > Fire and Alchohol.. not a good mix!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ChloeBRONZE Member
54 posts

Posted:
Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone can give me a few suggestions to help me with my stupidity. I have been noticing this trend recently where i get absolutely hammered (drunk) which is in itself a silly thing to do! smile and then i try to swing with fire. Last night (it's my birthday on Sun so i have an excuse) i don't even remember trying, but i got told this morning that i couldn't find my parrafin coz someone had hidden it from me when i started showing fire tendancies rolleyes (i'm really lucky to have such sensible friends!) Basicly, i don't think swinging whilst drunk is a good idea, i like the whole being able to control my limbs things, and i know it doesnt look good because of my complete lack of coordination. However, whilst drunk, swinging fire seems like the most fun and exciting thing in the world to do and theres no stopping me!Anyone else have this problem? If you do, how dyu over come it, i need some suggestions (telling me not to be so silly isn't going to help!) i was thinking maybe getting someone to hide my poi before i'm drunk! grin but i more need to burn this overwhelming desire in my head.I must not swing whilst drunk i must not swing whilst drunk i must not swing whilst drunk. Maybe i need a little hypnotism... hmm.SillyDrunkFireSwingerChloe

Chloe.
-I'm dancing through the fire just to catch a flame-
Paul Weller

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I have noticed that a small amount of alcohol does not affect my poi swinging abilities, it even helps sometimes. However, if you "black out" that is a sign of alcoholizim, (my dad is one) and it only takes ONE drink to black out, and being blacked out is dangerouse, you can wake up "who knows where" the next morning (or even wake up dead). But in my experience, if you don't drink very much (2-3 drinks) alcohol doesn't affect you abilities adversly. I think it has to do with being relaxed, which is how you should be when twirling. It also makes you braver though... (which CAN be a good thing or a bad thing) You are right about crytal meth, I tried it one time at a rave, I swung so fast (faster than ever before) I almost died of heat stroke and dehydration (water was not free). That is the bad thing about LSD, meth, mushrooms, and extasy, your body sometimes can't keep up with you mind. If you do that kind of stuff, make sure you have plenty of water to drink (drink water with alcohol too!) Seriously though, I do not do drugs anymore (green herbs and alcohol don't count) and I never realy did them much in the first place. Why? They hurt my body, and I can achive the primal mental state without using drugs, (something like meditation). Twirling fire does the same thing for me as LSD, or shrooms or meth, but with out the clenched jaws, dehydration, inability to sleep and other harmfull side effects which can take a long time to go away (it makes me feel trapped sometimes, to not be able to go back to normal when I want to, but with "meditation" you can go back to normal instantly). In other words, I don't need drugs anymore to go into the "ultimate zone".

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
At the last festival I went to I came up with a little game. Normally I don't drink at all and when I do it's just 151 I hate the taste of any type of liquir or beer. But anyways I was having an awesome night we had just got done doing what felt like about an hour and a half show for about 600 screaming ppl. I got invited to a campsite afterwards were they began feeding me beer though a bong at the end of every burn. Someone I managed to hold every weave just as smooth as I did sober but everytime the fires went out I nearly fell over. I had a mad hard time just walking! But there was so much energy in the air to be picked up I could spin perfect after I think uhh 7 or 8 beer bongs. So Basicly what I'm tryin to say is poi is poi your gonna hurt yourself somewhere along the lines if it's while your drunk all the better you won't feel it as much, I got into this for the fun of it and as long as I can still walk I can still spin :P------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim Morrison

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

plastikgirlmember
41 posts

Posted:
ooooh pj that must have been FANTASTIC!!!! I have to try that. Headphones and blindfold. COOL!!! But I think I'm gonna do it using clubs...much safer.Well the only time I fire spinned while drunk was a couple weeks ago...I wasnt that drunk, I dont usually drink a lot, but I managed to do it well.The bad part was that I got too excited and one of the poi wrapped around my left arm and...you know.so, that almost burnt my arm...I've never burnt myself while fire spinning, but that one was pretty close. I must remember myself to be more careful.Well, I've spinned while on other (illegal) substances, and I remember being in perfect control of my movements. Alcohol makes you clumsy I guess.p.l.u.r., people------------------little lady bug, run back home, your house is on fire and your children will burn! ashes, ashes, all fall down!

Lady bug lady bug, fly away home. Your house is on fire, and your children will burn! Ashes, ashes, all fall down!!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
i spun with an unlit staff at my 18th whilst blind drunk and ended up with a nasty gash on the side of my headdidnt feel a thing though.....

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
A quick note about the headphones/blindfold combo -- the combination causes you to loose *ALL* points of reference. The brain has a remarkable ability to use sound as a location device, so spinning with a blindfold alone really isn't all the difficult. The only real "challenge" to spinning with a blindfold alone is coping with recovery if the poi get tangled. However, when you add headphones that block out all external sounds, there is nothing for your brain to fixate on. It is a rather disturbing experience the first time when cold sober, yet for some strange reason not nearly so much so when you have colorful geometric patterns to play with.I don't necessarily recomend that you do all of this at once with fire without working up to it, but it sure is fun that way! And besides, we're running out of ways to one-up each other down here. ;-)-p.

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
Sorry im late on the topic, When i know im going to be spinning fire i wont drink until after im finished with the fire. the constant fear of hurting someone keeps me from doing that. I dont mind so much if i light my self on fire (although its rather difficult too i ve noticed) cuase at at leased i can be fixxed and i know whats hit me. when im pissed off my gourde and i get that i wanna spin feeling i pull out my beaming poi and spin those for awhile. it does the trick still looks neat and if im really really un co-oordinated (which just doesnt happen wink) and smack myself i just remind the crowd at leased its not fire.. then i suck it up and spin more... *lol*never done shrooms, or E, or anything like that so it that respects i pretty neive and dumb..

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

Page: