PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
We've talked black boogies, I know, but do you all notice anything else the day after a long spin or performance?In my winter show we did this hting called "taking stock of your body" so as to identify when performing causes changes.I performed 7 shows yesterday for a day long winter fest. Here is what I noticed is common, especially after long or a lot of exposure at once...I have a stiff/sore body (some parts more than others...today my legs, another time my wrists. This tells me I didn't warm up enough)I am unusually tired the day after a performance weekend. I put so much energy into my shows that it seems par for the course.I have a ***really*** bad case of cotton mouth along with a raspy-not-Pele-sounding voice. From fire breathing eating so much?? I don't know.And yes, I am usually stuffed up the day after.The voice one is the one that gets me befuddled. So, anyone else notice these little patterns for them as well?------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MiSsFrOgmember
187 posts

Posted:
eeeeew black boogies after a party... i hate when that happens.(7 shows wow) yah pele, i notice all that stuff too. Ive never been in a competition or a festival before but i know that after a day of spinning your whole body goes into retreat mode and all you want to do is fall on the floor and not get up. I know the raspy voice thing comes from trying to talk to my friends over the loud music at partys.my advice, a hot bubble bath a good book some hot tea with honey and lemon.
Non-Https Image Link
------------------"come with me to a land of fantasy, take my hand down into techno wonderland"parents say video games affect teens I dont think they do,if they did, take pac man for example, we'd all be running around darkend rooms munching magic pills listening to repetitive music. PLUR

Its not easy being green....

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I dunno, maybe it's a family thing but I've never gotten sore after a full day of spinning, and I spin hard through the whole thing...=? I dunno maybe when I start to do Fire Poi and get into staff I'll get those symptoms.

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
This is where I have to be careful.. If I have a really good session on a night (I tend to spin for about 7-8 hours; stopping occasionally for a drink & pit-stop) I almost always manage to rip a few shoulder muscles. To prevent stiffening up the next day, I usually spend the best part of the day spinning, but a little less viggorously.If the truth be told.. after a really REALLY good nights mega-spinning (one where I get completely Zenn'd out), I still feel light and fluffy the next morning. My skin also feels smooth and supple and I find myself walking taller than usual. Its a fantastic feeling, and its made even better if I can find a willing person to give me a nice massage as well.. (any willing massargers in Sheffield... e-mail me please smile )New years eve was a tough one though.. think I did some serious muscle ripping after 10 hours of almost non-stop spinning. It took the best part of a week before I could spin properly again!! Owch!! (Learned some wicked stuff though, so the pain was worth it all in the end)ps: never had 'black boogies' though.. and I think they're called 'bogies' in the UK.. or 'pugs'..?? (bbbyyyoooooaaaarrrggghhh... splat splat splatter splatter !!)------------------Kato

Kato

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
it sounds like you just had a good old fashioned romp session in the sack with tha superman..or bull riding. grin"S"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
Yo Soops..!! I could tell from the start you were gonna be a funny one.. winkps: you wouldnt last five minutes with tha Kato.. heh heh tongue------------------Kato

Kato

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Super...my forbidden love....If I had black crap coming out of my nose from a romp with you...I would be forced to take you to the dr. to see what you are shooting!:POther than that it seems that Whipping Boy must be related to you then! wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
AHEM! (trying to get this topic back onto a more family-orientated level)Especially after my long busking sessions, I get:* the black bogies for at least 24 hours.* very sore forarm muscles (just behind the wrist and on top of the arm* sore big toe on left foot (might be turning ingrown?!?!)* These little black streaks on the inside of my fingernails on both my pinkies - for some reason, soot seems to work its way 3/4 down the nail next to th efinger and takes days to come to the surface and get clean (in which time I've usually done fire again!)* sore shoulder muscles* black smudges on light switches in house and shower, even though i go and wipe everything after the shower, somehow there is always a few i have missed.Well that's my boring list, but at least its a little more wholesome (except for the ingrown toenail bit eeeeeeeewwwwwwwww). grin grin grin grin------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Which brings me to another question (thanks Charles!), how sooty do you get? Because I do the trailing, and wraps I get *really* sooty...takes me alot of scrubbing to get clean. And like Charles, I find soot gets in places that my wicks never go near, it is funny really (and I kept it PG Charles, aren't you proud?)I also tend to find the smell of singed hair or kero smoke can linger even after the scented body wash.What do you do to ease the sore muscles? I do the hot water shower, heating pad, ben-gay and massage (PWB gives great massages!) thing after a show. An extra dose of yoga helps out the next day.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
you know you like it Pele..hee hee

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Um what about skin shredding off the sides of the tips of fingers from repeated finger flourishes/spins, akward catches and limb passing? they shit me to tears.groinjury is the *worst* tho! (crosses legs)------------------"The door is a jar!"- Bill Hicks

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
When I'm using kero for several hours straight, I get about as sooty as a chimney sweep in a shoepolish factory (rim shot).In other words, my palms get very black and shiny, i tend to have a small layer of soot over my whole bady, looks like a tan until ihop into the shower, and any hits of course leave their mark as well.I look a bit like a white boy trying to go black!!!A useful thing I've begun doing is to carry a towel and some SWARFEGA with me so i can clean up before i hop in the taxi/friends car etc...makes short work of the sooty look. grin grin grin grin------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?